News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

DSPN Presents: Spanish Bastards vs The Glorious Dutch

Started by LMNO, June 23, 2010, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

You know, arguing that the entire game of Futbol is a comprehensively Subjective sport is pretty bold.

I might just be convinced.  It's meta, in its own way.

Triple Zero

Well that's what the German dude said. I forgot who he is, might have been the coach or trainer or some other sort of important soccer person.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Are you sure it wasnt the Swiss guy, president  of FIFA?

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

AFK

It sounds like the prevailing attitude is that the game should be like improvisational athletic art.  That you should not go back and question the craft of what just happened.  It happened the way it happened and just let it be.  I think that is an okay idea until you are playing for titles and trophies where the idea is the best team wins. 

And I remember the times before hockey had the goal cam and instant replay.  The game and the action was just as fast-paced an exciting after that was introduced.  I don't think it impacted the spirit of the game at all.  I don't see why they can't do something similar for soccer.  Same idea, just a bigger and less slippery playing surface. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on June 30, 2010, 01:22:57 PM
I understand the biggest argument is that they don't want to stop the flow of the game.

It's a bad argument though, as in other sports it has not caused such problems.

Basically FIFA are lazy, rich and realize soccer fans really have nowhere else to turn for their fix, so it's their way or the highway.

Triple Zero

Quote from: RWHN on June 30, 2010, 07:29:57 PM
It sounds like the prevailing attitude is that the game should be like improvisational athletic art.  That you should not go back and question the craft of what just happened.  It happened the way it happened and just let it be.  I think that is an okay idea until you are playing for titles and trophies where the idea is the best team wins.

Yes, in that case you should not call them referees, but juries. Like in ice-skating.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

000 PREPARE YOAR SACRIFICES TO THE ORANGE GODS
WE MUST BE READY FOR TOMORROW
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

LMNO

Just heard a third theory on NPR:  FIFA likes pissing off country's fans, because that increases awareness and interest in the sport.

Maradona made two goals in 1986: one brilliant, one blatantly cheating.  Guess which one people talk about more?

Triple Zero

Quote from: FredleySneijder on July 01, 2010, 07:07:32 PM
000 PREPARE YOAR SACRIFICES TO THE ORANGE GODS
WE MUST BE READY FOR TOMORROW
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Triple Zero

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Triple Zero

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 01, 2010, 11:01:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 01, 2010, 11:01:39 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Rah Ah Ah Ah?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Fuck when does this soccer match start?

They're sounding vuvuzelas and assorted other horns all over the neighbourhood.

Heh.

Horns are totally back this summer :D