News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

The competition for Harry Reid

Started by Requia ☣, August 19, 2010, 12:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 06:40:39 PM
Quote from: Pēleus on August 19, 2010, 06:39:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 04:29:18 PM
HEY, HOW THE FUCK DID WE DO THIS SHIT IN THE 60s?  

Fear of the draft? As didn't only college students get to stay home?

Not sure how that pertains to grade schools.

If one is focus on going to college, one studies harder?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pēleus on August 19, 2010, 06:45:36 PM

Yes, because 3rd graders are concentrating on college.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Peleus, stop trying to kill the thread.

Jenne

Oh, and while looking up that stupid news spot on the military primary school, I found the CA ed code that legislates parent involvement:

http://law.justia.com/california/codes/2009/edc/11500-11506.html

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 06:45:58 PM

Well, actually, there's a "No Excuses" campaign for college readiness.  In this campaign, school districts require elementary schools to have college rhetoric, college advertisements, college campus media and college banners and other paraphernalia that herald there's a college presence on the elementary campus.  This is to encourage kids that anyone can be a college grad.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 19, 2010, 05:29:17 AM
Quote from: Dr. Vrtig0 on August 19, 2010, 05:10:10 AM

I'm not worried about math and science..  the evidence put forth in those fields will be a driving force for all but the most heavily indoctrinated..  I firmly believe the children of the 70's and 80's are moving away from religious indoctrination at a steady enough pace to have it moved from the group think mind within the next 15-20 years.. 

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/99153999.html?showAll=y&c=y

It's going to heat up down south... we're already losing ground in Texas and according to some right wing blog Tennessee is next. Be prepared for a brutal war of attrition. Every time someone pronounced them dead they just keep coming back.

I'm not meaning to join the debate Vrtig0 here though. I'm not American and much of your concerns deal with American federal politics and every country has a different bureaucracy and therefore different challenges.
Though I will say if I was by some act of divine providence you guys made me American presidente (refuse to to be president) your military spending would be cut in half and lot, and I mean lot, more would be delegated to education, including post secondary. There would be also a lot more prostitutes around the white house.

The only thing that has ever had me leaning toward Creationism rather than Evolution was being taught evolution in high school.  The arguements sounded really silly.  If we can get some critical thinking classes working properly I think teaching the kids creationism might be the death blow for it.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 19, 2010, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 06:45:58 PM

Well, actually, there's a "No Excuses" campaign for college readiness.  In this campaign, school districts require elementary schools to have college rhetoric, college advertisements, college campus media and college banners and other paraphernalia that herald there's a college presence on the elementary campus.  This is to encourage kids that anyone can be a college grad.

Yeah.  Shit.

Kids can't be kids, you know.  It might inhibit their faux-competitiveness.
Molon Lube

Jenne

:lol:  I think it's meant to encourage kids whose parents don't ever TALK about college to already have it in their lexicon.

The kids whose parents want them to go to college are telling them that from birth, just saying.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 19, 2010, 07:32:21 PM
:lol:  I think it's meant to encourage kids whose parents don't ever TALK about college to already have it in their lexicon.

The kids whose parents want them to go to college are telling them that from birth, just saying.

I didn't.  My kids made up their own minds.  When they were about 14 and 12, I told them that life is easier with a college degree, but that it wasn't absolutely necessary (I don't have one, and I'm doing fine).

Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 07:33:48 PM
:lol:  I think it's meant to encourage kids whose parents don't ever TALK about college to already have it in their lexicon.

I didn't.  My kids made up their own minds.  When they were about 14 and 12, I told them that life is easier with a college degree, but that it wasn't absolutely necessary (I don't have one, and I'm doing fine).

...my parents did the same thing.  And my brothers aren't doing so well--hit a glass ceiling by 30.  I'm sorta immovable on this.  Life experience has shown people like my dad were right that you can still CHOOSE to not go to college, but it's going to be a somewhat uphill ride if you do so.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 19, 2010, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 07:33:48 PM
:lol:  I think it's meant to encourage kids whose parents don't ever TALK about college to already have it in their lexicon.

I didn't.  My kids made up their own minds.  When they were about 14 and 12, I told them that life is easier with a college degree, but that it wasn't absolutely necessary (I don't have one, and I'm doing fine).

...my parents did the same thing.  And my brothers aren't doing so well--hit a glass ceiling by 30.  I'm sorta immovable on this.  Life experience has shown people like my dad were right that you can still CHOOSE to not go to college, but it's going to be a somewhat uphill ride if you do so.

Your brothers need to lie on their resumes.  Just saying.

Dok,
Didn't get this job via the merit system.
Molon Lube

Jenne

:lulz:  Mom and Dad taught us school wasn't necessary, but damn did they hate for us to lie.

I think my brothers just obey Mom and Dad too much!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 19, 2010, 08:52:10 PM
:lulz:  Mom and Dad taught us school wasn't necessary, but damn did they hate for us to lie.

Because employers are so honest.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2010, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 19, 2010, 08:52:10 PM

Because employers are so honest.   :lulz:

Shh...there's some tr00fs M&D don't like to hear.