News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

REEFER MADNESS!!!!!!

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, September 18, 2010, 03:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 22, 2011, 02:48:01 PM
I still appreciate them as a keeping informed sort of thing.  Doesn't mean the thread needs to turn into a "weed is good, durrrr" circle jerk.

Odd, though, that the only links Tel posts are indeed of the "weed is good" type.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (deceased) on July 22, 2011, 02:54:15 PM
I still appreciate them as a keeping informed sort of thing.  Doesn't mean the thread needs to turn into a "weed is good, durrrr" circle jerk.

Odd, though, that the only links Tel posts are indeed of the "weed is good" type.

Confirmation bias can be pretty damn powerful stuff.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (deceased) on July 22, 2011, 01:11:00 PM
Considering that this entire subject will be almost completely one sided now that RWHN is gone, how about giving it a rest?

Or is this a victory lap kind of thing for you?

this post only makes sense if you assume that the purpose of this thread is to argue about mary jane

Interesting link was interesting. Why does it have to be a counterpoint to something?

Triple Zero

I, for one, will not stand for posting links ITT that disagree with the viewpoints of people not posting ITT.

... Unless there's somebody not posting ITT that disagrees. Then, I take it back. FOR BALANCE!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BabylonHoruv

Well that's the viewpoint he has and seeks to reinforce.  Posting links that keep us informed about developments in the legal status and discoveries regarding benefits is still valuable though.  it's not just a bunch of posters reiterating their personal belief that people should be allowed to smoke weed.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

This thread kills puppies.  With a mallet.
Molon Lube

Chairman Risus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (deceased) on July 22, 2011, 01:11:00 PM
Considering that this entire subject will be almost completely one sided now that RWHN is gone, how about giving it a rest?

Or is this a victory lap kind of thing for you?

:lulz:

& Let's go post Fox News articles to counterbalance the rest of the political board.

Triple Zero

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 22, 2011, 04:46:58 PM

Well that's the viewpoint he has and seeks to reinforce.  Posting links that keep us informed about developments in the legal status and discoveries regarding benefits is still valuable though.  it's not just a bunch of posters reiterating their personal belief that people should be allowed to smoke weed.

Hey, listen now. You're still posting in this thread, and that means you're able to voice and defend your own opinion. Therefore, you should keep it to yourself, for the sake of fairly representing all sides.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

LMNO

:kingmeh:

Forget it.  The stoners win.

Say hi to the Spider for me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If THIS thread exists solely to serve as a debating ground for pro vs. anti legalization, should Telarus and other interested parties start a new marijuana thread in which to post links that interest them?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Eh, doesn't really matter.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (deceased) on July 22, 2011, 06:26:53 PM

Awe man, I was just poking fun at you.

Quote from: Nigel on July 22, 2011, 06:36:16 PM
If THIS thread exists solely to serve as a debating ground for pro vs. anti legalization, should Telarus and other interested parties start a new marijuana thread in which to post links that interest them?

Hmm, just today I was thinking whether I should start a thread called REFERER MADNESS.

Though I was intending to fill it with crazy stuff I find in the site's referer-logs (aka people linking to us).

(and yes, the "Referer" header is misspelled in the HTTP specifications. It's just one of those things)

Eater of Clowns

I don't know, I love how this thread was originally touted for some time as proof that we could have a "civilized" discussion about marijuana usage on PD.  For a while it was.  Then, over time, as all things it degenerated and became not only another case of poo-flinging but actually the examplar of how we can't have reasonable discussions about marijuana usage on PD, culminating in the departure of a longstanding member.  It's really almost poetic.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Telarus

There was a period where the thread was just links that Telarus threw up, without any debate.  I think he's just going back to that model.

That was kinda the idea, originally. Thread has picked up a good deal of shrapnel.

I will admit that it's the positives displayed by the recent research that's really interesting to me (especially considering the comment from NIDA about the 'spice' chemicals /synthetic cannabinoids/ and how diversion into a recreational market isn't enough of a reason to outright prohibit them - due to the 'therapeutic potential').

I'll keep looking for stories with some good data on the other 'side' of the position, tho. Unanswered bias, perceived and otherwise (yes, I have bias, and it parallels the NIDA position), will shut down communication on the topic. As such, I think before I post any more links I'll actually post my thoughts on the last links RWHN provided for this thread.

Quote from: Telarus on July 22, 2011, 12:44:31 PM
http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/19/study-marijuana-not-linked-with-long-term-cognitive-impairment/

Ok, in all fairness, this study started when participants were 20-22, and says nothing about effects of use started earlier than that. I thought that it being a Time.com article may have blunted any bias perceived in the title. It really is an interesting article.

I think that one of the most interesting points was that, having detected reduced capabilities in language and math tasks they wanted to see if they could control those factors out.

They did. The girls were the ones scoring low on math (lines up with national averages), and the lower sociology-economic-educational class males where the ones that scored low on the verbal tests (also aligning with national averages). These 'signs of cognitive impairment' disappeared after they controlled for those factors.

I respect RWHN's position on this, and I will keep an eye out for articles with the competing narrative.

Good question.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 22, 2011, 07:04:20 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (deceased) on July 22, 2011, 06:26:53 PM

Awe man, I was just poking fun at you.

Hmm, just today I was thinking whether I should start a thread called REFERER MADNESS.

Though I was intending to fill it with crazy stuff I find in the site's referer-logs (aka people linking to us).

(and yes, the "Referer" header is misspelled in the HTTP specifications. It's just one of those things)

I like that idea, actually.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."