News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

A Brief Explanation, part IV of V

Started by Doktor Howl, September 27, 2010, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Medusa was originally a beautiful maiden, "the jealous aspiration of many suitors," priestess in Athena's temple, but when she and the "Lord of the Sea" Poseidon had sex together in Athena's temple, the enraged Athena transformed Medusa's beautiful hair to serpents and made her face so terrible to behold that the mere sight of it would turn onlookers to stone.

The problem with Tucson is that, being Eris' Holy City, we're up to our collective arses in Greek Gods, monsters, and heroes, because they have nowhere else to go.

I met Medusa in 2007, though she calls herself "Mistress Freeky", now.  To prevent the obvious disasters from happening in traffic, she keeps her hair in front of her face, most of the time...Her hair IS composed of snakes, but they are monofilament thin, and can only be seen as vipers under a microscope.  Likewise, she didn't actually do the nasty with Poseidon...He was just talking smack.  Gods do that.

Her face, as noted above, is "terrible", not "ugly".  She's actually very pretty, as many statues in Tucson could tell you, if they could speak.  So far, she's racked up two generals (complete with horses), six jockeys, Paul Bunyan, and an Alien being named "Double Oval, Reproduction".  I imagine there's more, but that's all I've seen so far.  I suspect horrible things about the giant stone Easter Island head downtown, but I can prove nothing (Legend says she once saved Tucson from a giant, but that's another story).  It's best not to look directly at her, if the wind is blowing.

She's not a bad sort, as cthonic monsters go, and she's a fantastic cook.  It seems that you're safe around her if your heart is pure, and it's a calm day.  My problem is that I don't have a pure heart, and I got too close, and learned about the snakes, as did Nurse Enabler.

They don't have a venomous bite, as you'd expect.  Instead, they tunnel into your chest and wrap around your heart, and never, ever let go.  If you're truly a bad person, she tears your heart out and feeds it to the cat...If you're just an ass, she keeps you and makes you eat delicious exotic food.

Never forget, Tucson is a City of Monsters, and most of them look just like you and I...when they aren't stabbing people, or selling them meth, or beating their spouses, or putting teenaged girls out on the corner.  But then there are the other kind of monster, and we mostly look right past them, because they don't fit in with our perception of reality.

And that's a damned shame, because some of them are damn fine people.

To be continued

Molon Lube

Jenne

QuoteThey don't have a venomous bite, as you'd expect.  Instead, they tunnel into your chest and wrap around your heart, and never, ever let go.  If you're truly a bad person, she tears your heart out and feeds it to the cat...If you're just an ass, she keeps you and makes you eat delicious exotic food.

My favorite part.  Damn.  This was as good as that exotic, delicious food Freeky makes is...MOAR!

Jasper

Cool!  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way again, but it's very Cervantes meets HST. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 27, 2010, 05:58:21 PM
Cool!  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way again, but it's very Cervantes meets HST. 

Hadn't thought of it that way.   :lulz:

It's hard to explain.  The fifth part might be a little overt, as I think I've covered enough background material.  It will be up tomorrow at the latest.
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Damn Dok!  Each time I think I see where you are going with this, the next segment throws me for a loop. 

:mittens: This is some amazing writing!! 

And once again, while I think where this may be going, I'm most likely wrong  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

All will be made clear in part V.  It will not only explain my position, but a lot of how the world works, I think.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Yes.  A hundred times, yes.

LMNO
-is feeling a bit insignificant, writing my Spider Game narration at the same time this is going on, here.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 27, 2010, 06:22:49 PM
Yes.  A hundred times, yes.

LMNO
-is feeling a bit insignificant, writing my Spider Game narration at the same time this is going on, here.

Apples and oranges, Alphapance.  And thanks for your kind words.

Hell, every time I hit submit on one of my good ones, I always think it's the worst thing I've ever written, and that nobody will like it.

It's when I'm feeling all clever that my stuff sucks and gets rightfully ignored.
Molon Lube

Richter

"The King in Yellow" comes to mind.  Different narratives, held together by a strange sentiment that may jsut REALLY amke you loose sanity, but you've got a better handle on it than Chambers did. 

He dabbled in banality and confusion trying to flirt with it.  While you're not exactly giving it away, you're not mincing words either.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on September 27, 2010, 06:35:13 PM
"The King in Yellow" comes to mind.  Different narratives, held together by a strange sentiment that may jsut REALLY amke you loose sanity, but you've got a better handle on it than Chambers did. 

He dabbled in banality and confusion trying to flirt with it.  While you're not exactly giving it away, you're not mincing words either.

Thanks, Richter.

I wasn't sure how this mini-series would be received.  Everyone has their own ideas of how the world works, and I wasn't sure if anyone would actually be interested in mine.

However, unlike Chambers, I'm going to flog you all over the head with my point in part V.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 27, 2010, 05:59:23 PM

It's hard to explain.  The fifth part might be a little overt, as I think I've covered enough background material.  It will be up tomorrow at the latest.

Awesome.  I like this series.  I like the quality of knowing that it means something unsaid, and trying to fathom it.  But I also look forward to more explicit explanation.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 27, 2010, 06:52:38 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 27, 2010, 05:59:23 PM

Awesome.  I like this series.  I like the quality of knowing that it means something unsaid, and trying to fathom it.  But I also look forward to more explicit explanation.

That was the idea.  Present 5 different views of the world, then nail it all down at the end.
Molon Lube

Payne

Well, this one has thrown al my original themes and such that I was pursuing in this series of out of the window. Got me started thinking again, though...

:mittens:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on September 27, 2010, 07:00:17 PM
Well, this one has thrown al my original themes and such that I was pursuing in this series of out of the window. Got me started thinking again, though...

:mittens:

The world isn't a simple subject (unless you're a conservative).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is fantastic! I can't wait for part v.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."