News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

The fact that every interesting recent thread has devolved into a pun war.

Started by Triple Zero, January 10, 2011, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 11, 2011, 12:37:55 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2011, 12:15:40 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on January 10, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

Yeah, YOU were but by then it was too late because a bunch of other pigfuckers decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Except only one other person made one solitary pun in response.  Some bandwagon. 

Whatever.  Fuck it, I'll stop punning since it's such a big deal.

Apply now for your Pun Permit.  The Department of Fun only accepts a certain number of them per year.  The permit allows you to consider posting a pun, which then must be approved, before posting it.  Only those with permits may then respond to said pun, but only if deemed sufficiently clever.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Johnny

I feel an overwhelming desire to make a pun related to the wars between Rome and Carthage. But i wont.

I personally have seen so many annoying puns on all types of threads that i just take their existance as a necessary evil; like Apple Talk.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

Yeah, YOU were but by then it was too late because a bunch of other pigfuckers decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Except only one other person made one solitary pun in response.  Some bandwagon.  

Whatever.  Fuck it, I'll stop punning since it's such a big deal.

One person? One pun? Maybe the rest of them were so stupid that you didn't even recognize them, because I saw several. And, it doesn't even really matter because it's still rude as fuck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 11, 2011, 12:42:51 AM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

Except only one other person made one solitary pun in response.  Some bandwagon. 

Apply now for your Pun Permit.  The Department of Fun only accepts a certain number of them per year.  The permit allows you to consider posting a pun, which then must be approved, before posting it.  Only those with permits may then respond to said pun, but only if deemed sufficiently clever.

Or just start your own fucking thread and keep the "I'm not clever enough to actually say anything of substance, so I'm gonna drop this cloying play on words in the middle of the  conversation" posts out of the big kid threads.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2011, 01:29:10 AM

Or just start your own fucking thread and keep the "I'm not clever enough to actually say anything of substance, so I'm gonna drop this cloying play on words in the middle of the  conversation" posts out of the big kid threads.

The big kids who throw tantrums and thrash about making threats of thread sabotage when those children are so bold as to not play with their toys properly?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 11, 2011, 01:42:54 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2011, 01:29:10 AM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

Except only one other person made one solitary pun in response.  Some bandwagon.  

Whatever.  Fuck it, I'll stop punning since it's such a big deal.

Apply now for your Pun Permit.  The Department of Fun only accepts a certain number of them per year.  The permit allows you to consider posting a pun, which then must be approved, before posting it.  Only those with permits may then respond to said pun, but only if deemed sufficiently clever.

Or just start your own fucking thread and keep the "I'm not clever enough to actually say anything of substance, so I'm gonna drop this cloying play on words in the middle of the  conversation" posts out of the big kid threads.

The big kids who throw tantrums and thrash about making threats of thread sabotage when those children are so bold as to not play with their toys properly?

Hey, if other people are going to be childish dicks, why shouldn't I get to have some "fun" too? I mean, if every conversation worth reading/joining is going to get all shat up, anyway.

Cain

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on January 11, 2011, 01:14:43 AM

I feel an overwhelming desire to make a pun related to the wars between Rome and Carthage. But i wont.

But if done right, that would be both clever and funny.  I can think of at least three people on here who would probably (depending on the quality of pun, naturally) appreciate that.

AFK

Here's the thing: Puns are not funny. And a bunch of puns in a row are not clever.

They are the domain of average-intelligence gamer geeks who obsessively watch Monty Python and think that makes them geniuses. Have you ever been in a room with those people? Do it once, and you will never think puns are funny again.

Puns are extra unfunny when they are placed in threads with real content. My current policy is, once the punning starts in a thread I was interested in, I'm done with that thread. It's over. The way things are going, this whole board is THIS close to being as much of an inane circlejerk of mediocrity as The Cellar, because a bunch of people, some newbs and some not, have started seeing EVERY FUCKING OPENING as a glorious golden opportunity to show off how clever they think they are by stringing completely lame puns off each other.

If it actually keeps going that way and everybody keeps making excuses for why it's OK, I would be perfectly happy to institute a zero-tolerance hateshitting policy that will fuck up every single fucking  thread of everyone who drops a single one of those retard shitbombs in any thread, ever, except for RWHN who gets a special pass by virtue of that being his identity and actually putting effort into it.

And, pardon the brief moment of arrogance, I'm pretty fucking good at it.  And puns ARE funny and they ARE NOT the domain of "average-intelligence".  In my social circles, puns were bandied about amongst my other musician friends.  Folks who are actually pretty damned intelligent.  It certainly can be turned into low-rent humor, but you can say that about any kind of comedy, entertainment, or amusement. 

But thanks for giving me a "special pass". 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

So. Who do we have to submit our posts to now for approval prior to actually posting them?

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Jasper

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

I AM BUTTHURT ABOUT ALL THE FUCKING BUTTHURT ON THIS BOARD.

PARDON ME, I'M GOING TO WANDER INTO ANOTHER THREAD AND LOOK FOR A REASON TO BE OFFENDED.  LOUDLY.

Christ on a fucking barstool, how I hate you all.  I hate you with the power of 10,000 suns.  You should know better, you should be able to debate rationally, yet this board has MORE PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN SEARCH OF A BRUISED TESTICLE THAN ANY OTHER BOARD I'VE EVER SEEN, INCLUDING MW AND TCC.

If ANY of you loved me, you'd jump under a bus right fucking now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 05:03:09 PM
I AM BUTTHURT ABOUT ALL THE FUCKING BUTTHURT ON THIS BOARD.

PARDON ME, I'M GOING TO WANDER INTO ANOTHER THREAD AND LOOK FOR A REASON TO BE OFFENDED.  LOUDLY.

Christ on a fucking barstool, how I hate you all.  I hate you with the power of 10,000 suns.  You should know better, you should be able to debate rationally, yet this board has MORE PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN SEARCH OF A BRUISED TESTICLE THAN ANY OTHER BOARD I'VE EVER SEEN, INCLUDING MW AND TCC.

If ANY of you loved me, you'd jump under a bus right fucking now.

:potd:

In fact, the only reason I haven't posted the same is I'm convinced it will cause yet another round of butthurt.