News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

According to Tea Party: Child Labor Laws unconstitutional:

Started by Suu, January 17, 2011, 03:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hover Cat on January 17, 2011, 09:53:50 PM
The amendment will probably never happen.

Neither will any sort of legal action to repeal the court decision  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

"well if dem immigrunts gotta stay, may as well put their kids ta work."
\
:redneck2:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 17, 2011, 08:41:19 PM
Well, just because its right, doesn't necessarily make it constitutional....

In the 1920's Congress tried to add an amendment to the constitution to place laws about Child Labor into the hands of Congress. However, that amendment failed. A couple decades later they simply passed a law forbidding it and defended it under interstate commerce laws.

Child labor is abhorrent... but the question of constitutional support for a federal law on it is valid.

If goods are sold across state lines they are certainly covered by interstate commerce clauses.  A brewery or Winery could make a case that the law does not apply to them, as they are not allowed to sell across state lines in many cases, but any other business is fully capable of it, so they'd have to comply.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Telarus on January 18, 2011, 02:40:14 AM
Nope, sorry. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

The fact that he didn't choose to export doesn't change the fact that he was able to export.  Beer and Wine producers are not able to export, in many states.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Telarus

But that case wasn't decided on his ability to export.

Filburn argued that since the excess wheat he produced was intended solely for home consumption it could not be regulated through the interstate Commerce Clause. The Supreme Court rejected this argument, reasoning that if Filburn had not used home-grown wheat he would have had to buy wheat on the open market. This effect on interstate commerce, the Court reasoned, may not be substantial from the actions of Filburn alone but through the cumulative actions of thousands of other farmers just like Filburn its effect would certainly become substantial. Therefore Congress could regulate wholly intrastate, non-commercial activity if such activity, viewed in the aggregate, would have a substantial effect on interstate commerce, even if the individual effects are trivial.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Whatever

So I shouldn't have dropped the brat pack off at the sweat shop this morning?  :sad:

Oops...  :oops:

Cain

Only if they're making stuff crossing state boundaries.

Whatever

Quote from: Cain on January 18, 2011, 03:05:25 PM
Only if they're making stuff crossing state boundaries.

Everything here crosses state boundaries, I can see IL from the window in the kitchen  :lulz:

YAY!! I'm good!!

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Adios

Quote from: Hoopla on January 18, 2011, 03:15:38 PM
The Tea Party is now officially a satire of itself.

and that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Whatever

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 18, 2011, 03:24:43 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 18, 2011, 03:15:38 PM
The Tea Party is now officially a satire of itself.

and that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it

Ok the mental of Sarah Palin in a dayglo polyester jumpsuit with a gigantic fro is not the way I wanted to start off my morning....  :argh!:

:lulz: