News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Florida Governor wants to kill "Pill Mill" database

Started by AFK, February 18, 2011, 04:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2011/fla-governor-eliminates-pill.html

QuoteIn a move that surprised officials in multiple states, Florida Governor Rick Scott proposed eliminating a long-awaited "pill mill" database designed to combat prescription drug abuse, The Orlando Sentinel reported Feb. 8.

A 2009 law passed by the Florida legislature required the creation of the database to reign in "rogue pain clinics," or "pill mills." Overdoses on illegal narcotic pills kill about seven people a day in Florida, and the pill mills are the primary source of the drugs.

The database, scheduled to go into operation Dec. 1 but delayed by a contracting dispute, would help crack down on pill mills. Doctors and pharmacies would have to log all prescription drugs sold, making it easier to identify customers trying to fill prescriptions multiple times at different locations to obtain large quantities of pain medications and other controlled substances.

Similar databases are already used in 42 states.

"That program has not been working," Scott said. "I'm working with Attorney General [Pam] Bondi  to make sure that we deal with the issue that we have, and I'm working with her to make sure that we deal with this issue that we have with pill mills."

His plan to eliminate the database surprised legislators, law enforcement, and other supporters. Although Scott is proposing to cut state spending by over $5 billion, the database is not funded with tax dollars, but with over $500,000 already raised from drug manufacturers, foundations and federal grants.

A spokeswoman said that Scott "did not think the database was a function best performed by government," according to the Sentinel.

Al Lamberti, sheriff of Broward County, told the governor in a recent meeting that the database was essential, and he thought the governor supported the idea.

"I'm very surprised," Lamberti said. "I stressed that to him, that we really need it as a deterrent. It's no wonder we're ground zero for this stuff. We don't have a deterrent in place."

"It's just bizarre," said Paul Sloan, the president of the Florida Society of Pain Management Providers. "There's nobody in the field of medicine trying to kill it. It's the best thing the state has done on pill mills."

A few weeks ago, Scott also cut the state office of drug control, a primary proponent for the database.

State Sen. Mike Fasano (R-New Port Richey), who sponsored the 2009 law establishing the database, said, "It is beyond my comprehension why the governor would propose the total elimination of the two entities that have been, and have the potential to be, the best tools this state will have in fighting prescription drug abuse."

It is now up to Florida lawmakers whether or not to accept Scott's proposal.

We have one of these prescription monitoring programs in my state and it is a very valuable tool in combating prescription drug abuse.  Certainly, there are some pretty enterprising criminals who will find a way around the system but it does help identify and get help for your average joe who got hooked on painkillers or other meds.  With most other states having one of these programs, this simply is going to make Florida the center of the illegal RX drug trade.  It's beyond me why he would want to do away with this program, especially, when it isn't even funded by taxpayers. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Its the mindset of the movement... kill anything that can be claimed isn't a function of government. Its not about actually balancing the budget, its about looking like you're doing something.

Besides, He'll be able to claim responsibility for maybe 10,000 new jobs in the drug mule sector.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Regulation is not something best done by government.   :lulz:

I love this century.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Prince Glittersnatch III

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Dysfunctional Cunt

I can remember years ago walking on the beach at sunrise and coming across a bale.....

Back in the day you didn't need pill mills, drugs washed up on the beach for the taking.........

Juana

:lulz: There's a hoard of snaggle-toothed Tea Baggers cheering him on, somewhere in Florida.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Adios

Quote from: Khara on February 18, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
I can remember years ago walking on the beach at sunrise and coming across a bale.....

Back in the day you didn't need pill mills, drugs washed up on the beach for the taking.........

whassa bale?

Disco Pickle

I really hate this fucker.  The rail, I can understand there's good arguments for not doing it (it becoming a money pit, low usage, Tampa to Orlando? etc..  but this?

:argh!:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 18, 2011, 08:20:49 PM

whassa bale?

:lulz:

A shit ton of shrink wrapped, compacted bricks of marajuana, about 3'X3'X3'

Adios

Quote from: Khara on February 18, 2011, 08:50:15 PM

whassa bale?

Ah, thank you!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 18, 2011, 09:09:09 PM
Quote from: Khara on February 18, 2011, 08:50:15 PM

whassa bale?

Ah, thank you!

Let me tell you, when you're 19, walking down the beach hungover as hell trying to make it back to your hole in the wall apartment before your head explodes, coming across one is like god sending manna from heaven.  The rules are simple, never take more than you can physically carry on your person and no one will find you and kill you.   :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on February 18, 2011, 08:35:33 PM
I really hate this fucker.  The rail, I can understand there's good arguments for not doing it (it becoming a money pit, low usage, Tampa to Orlando? etc..  but this?

:argh!:

That rail was fucking vital. But I guess you've never had to drive between St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa and Orlando regularly anyway.

Rick Scott scares the shit out of me even though I don't live there anymore. Everyone in Tampa Bay calls him Voldemort. They hate him.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

maphdet

It's rather sad and a Huge issue, I think, in Florida-the pill popping. I just do not understand how or why these people/doctors are still prescribing shit. Especially stuff like oxycontins (sp). Bad stuff.
Oh wait-yeah it's about the money/power-trips as usual.

But I can see both sides here. On one side how the fuck can it be legal for doctors to prescribe pills that will inevitably destroy the person taking them. And on the other side, how the fuck can a person make the decision to take something that will destroy them. 

Just one more thing to throw in the bucket of the cluster fuck i guess.

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Jenne

Well, I dunno, maph--I have taken both oxycontin and oxycodone and didn't get hooked.  In fact, I'm more likely to get hooked on cigs and wine than any Rx that I get for extreme pain like what it was prescribed for me for last year (that one virus I had where they thought I had diphtheria at one point, and my laparoscopic surgery).  I can see that if you've had surgery or cancer, there might be some things just too painful to bear.  And the prescriptions are supposed to be given sparingly and with few doses and lower doses.  ...but individual doctors' practices vary.