News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Aronofsky is backing out of The Wolverine

Started by Disco Pickle, March 18, 2011, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/17/darren-aronofsky-wolverine-leaving/?hpt=T2

QuoteBlack Swan director Darren Aronofsky will no longer be helming the Wolverine sequel for Twentieth Century Fox. In a statement issued by the studio, Aronofsky said, "It became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time." (The film was reportedly going to be set in Japan.) "I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through," continued Aronofsky, "as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again." Twentieth Century Fox echoed Aronofsky's regret: "While we are of course disappointed that Darren can't do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons ... Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively."

damn, after the last god awful train wreck of a movie, I was really looking forward to some really great directing and cinematography.  que sera, sera.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Faust

His reason sounds suspect. I know they are doing the wolverine in Japan story which is an excellent one to work off of, but I'd say it was creative differences between DA and Marvel on what goes into this movie, they pollute everything they touch.

But then, that's just me posting from the rumor mill.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Faust on March 18, 2011, 12:04:14 PM
His reason sounds suspect. I know they are doing the wolverine in Japan story which is an excellent one to work off of, but I'd say it was creative differences between DA and Marvel on what goes into this movie, they pollute everything they touch.

Did you happen to pick up Old Man Logan?  I wont spoil it if you haven't, but god damn that story should never have made it to press.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Faust

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 18, 2011, 12:09:25 PM

Did you happen to pick up Old Man Logan?  I wont spoil it if you haven't, but god damn that story should never have made it to press.

I haven't but: *spoilers follow*:

Is that the one where mysterio tricked him into killing the xmen? I've heard good things from people who aren't wolverine fans, I know I'm not a fan of how over saturated comic wise he is.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Faust on March 18, 2011, 12:16:52 PM
Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 18, 2011, 12:09:25 PM

I haven't but: *spoilers follow*:

Is that the one where mysterio tricked him into killing the xmen? I've heard good things from people who aren't wolverine fans, I know I'm not a fan of how over saturated comic wise he is.

that's the one.  that wasn't my biggest problem with the story.  it was the hulk/she-hulk thing.  I mean seriously.
it's probably worth one read, but I won't be revisiting it.

Luna

Wolverine makes money.  Considering the bitching and moaning before the first X-Men movie came out that Hugh Jackman wasn't "right" for the part, he has turned that character into something that he never would have been with just the comics.

In a year, it'll be somebody else, they have to strike while it's hot.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Faust

It is someone else: Deadpool. Poor deadpool... The same happened to spiderman before Wolverine as well.

I haven't read it, when the hulk comes up against wolverine its normally a bad move.
Issue 2 of ultimate wolverine came out in 2004 in which wolverine gets his legs ripped off and thrown on a mountain, issue five came out last year where he finally got them back.

And in astonishing X-men the hulk bent the metal in wolverines leg sideways, so he ends up in a wheelchair.

Disco Pickle

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

The hulk gets it in this arc.  and the way it happens is even more stupid than the hulk/she-hulk part of the story.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 18, 2011, 11:54:39 AM
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/17/darren-aronofsky-wolverine-leaving/?hpt=T2

QuoteBlack Swan director Darren Aronofsky will no longer be helming the Wolverine sequel for Twentieth Century Fox. In a statement issued by the studio, Aronofsky said, "It became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time." (The film was reportedly going to be set in Japan.) "I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through," continued Aronofsky, "as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again." Twentieth Century Fox echoed Aronofsky's regret: "While we are of course disappointed that Darren can't do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons ... Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively."

damn, after the last god awful train wreck of a movie, I was really looking forward to some really great directing and cinematography.  que sera, sera.

Well now that Aronofsky is out of the picture, there's a chance your wishes will be fulfilled.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 18, 2011, 01:26:13 PM

Well now that Aronofsky is out of the picture, there's a chance your wishes will be fulfilled.

eh, I like the guy's work.  to each their own though I suppose.

Faust

He's a good director, plus his style is well suited for comic books.

Luna

Given that I'd cheerfully watch Hugh Jackman pace across a stage reading an encyclopedia, I'll see this, no matter who's directing.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Faust on March 18, 2011, 01:36:52 PM

We're talking about the same guy who directed Pi and The Wrestler, right? :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 18, 2011, 01:49:06 PM

We're talking about the same guy who directed Pi and The Wrestler, right? :lulz:

Requiem for a Dream has to be my favorite, visually, but yeah.  same guy.  He likes to work with Mansell for scores, so was really looking forward to hearing what he wrote for the movie.

Faust

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 18, 2011, 01:49:06 PM

And Requiem for a dream and The Fountain which are both incredibly well made films even if they are depressing.