HBO thinks "A Game of Thrones" means they can reliably do Gaimen's American Gods

Started by Disco Pickle, June 21, 2011, 02:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

http://screenrant.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo-6-seasons-mcrid-119432/

Reserving judgement.  Personally, I think it deserves it's own movie, but can see how it wouldn't test well with people unfamiliar with the story or Gaimen in general.

Because it's HBO, they almost get a default pass for so many other successes over the last few years.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hover Cat on June 21, 2011, 02:54:15 AM
Gaiman himself seems pretty pleased with it, so here's hoping.

And considering his general take on Hollywood for the last few decades, his own confidence in the project should carry a lot of weight.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Rumckle

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 21, 2011, 02:45:08 AM

Reserving judgement.  Personally, I think it deserves it's own movie, but can see how it wouldn't test well with people unfamiliar with the story or Gaimen in general.

The other problem with it being a movie, is it more likely would need to be a trilogy, because it is a pretty dense book.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Rumckle on June 21, 2011, 03:04:32 AM

The other problem with it being a movie, is it more likely would need to be a trilogy, because it is a pretty dense book.

I think that it could be (mostly faithfully) done in 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

of course, getting people to actually SIT through that long of a movie is pretty damn hard, despite the trends of certain recent films.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Because it's HBO, they almost get a default pass for so many other successes over the last few years.

They not only pulled off "Fatherland", they even forced Rutger Hauer to act.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 21, 2011, 03:08:05 AM
Quote from: Rumckle on June 21, 2011, 03:04:32 AM

I think that it could be (mostly faithfully) done in 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

of course, getting people to actually SIT through that long of a movie is pretty damn hard, despite the trends of certain recent films.

Done as a TV series, though, might fly easier.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2011, 03:31:41 AM

:crankey:

hey now, you leave Rutger Hauer alone.

::Pickle was brought up by his mother to believe that Lady Hawke was the pinnacle of movie making.  She's been wrong many times but she was a romantic in all of the classical sense and she's dead, so anyone refuting this is refuting the dead mother of this Pickle and will face all the wrath I can bring in the form of electrons shaped into text on an internet forum.

That is, admittedly, a pretty weak bit of potential wrath but THERE WILL STILL BE WRATH!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 21, 2011, 03:48:12 AM

:crankey:

hey now, you leave Rutger Hauer alone.

::Pickle was brought up by his mother to believe that Lady Hawke was the pinnacle of movie making.  She's been wrong many times but she was a romantic in all of the classical sense and she's dead, so anyone refuting this is refuting the dead mother of this Pickle and will face all the wrath I can bring in the form of electrons shaped into text on an internet forum.

That is, admittedly, a pretty weak bit of potential wrath but THERE WILL STILL BE WRATH!

Seriously, obtain and watch Fatherland.  For real.
Molon Lube

Cain

I never knew they made that into a film....enjoyed the book though.

As for American Gods, I'm not sure.  Like Pickle said, I'm not sure how it will go down with people unfamiliar with Gaiman's work.  Then again, Neverwhere was fairly well receieved in the UK at the time it came out, so maybe that will count in his favour.

Slyph

American Gods was so much better than the sum of its' parts. Gaiman made Pratchett shut the fuck up and reign in the exposition, Pratchett provided character voices. Gaiman's biggest weakness is that, despite the strength of his narratives, his characters seem more like avatars of his own borgie arse rather than actual people talking to each other.

Man, try reading his attempt at Hellblazer... ugh...

Cain

Quote from: Slyph on June 21, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
American Gods was so much better than the sum of its' parts. Gaiman made Pratchett shut the fuck up and reign in the exposition, Pratchett provided character voices. Gaiman's biggest weakness is that, despite the strength of his narratives, his characters seem more like avatars of his own borgie arse rather than actual people talking to each other.

Man, try reading his attempt at Hellblazer... ugh...

I think you've confused American Gods with Good Omens (which was indeed a brilliant combination of both their strengths and neither of their weaknesses).

Pope Pixie Pickle