News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Social Security Payments Might be Suspended?

Started by Doktor Howl, July 29, 2011, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

I'm not surprised.  I never once figured my generation would have Social Security.

Cain

I wish for that pretty much every day.

But yeah, $32 billion in payments is on the line should there be no deal.  That'll keep the US running for, like, another 12 days.

BabylonHoruv

One of the big reasons there isn't enough money is because so much was spent bailing out the banks.  If the banks use this as an opportunity to grab at overdraft fees i think that fact needs to be repeated much more loudly.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 29, 2011, 08:27:40 PM
One of the big reasons there isn't enough money is because so much was spent bailing out the banks.  If the banks use this as an opportunity to grab at overdraft fees i think that fact needs to be repeated much more loudly.

This is true of pretty much every country in an economic crisis currently.  Yes, a lot of them were spending beyond their means, but not anywhere near as badly as they are now, because they had to bail out the banking sector.  I believe Greece's national debt leapt by an extra 60% just due to bailouts, for example.

Doktor Howl

Basically, this makes SSI a form of regressive taxation.

They're still going to collect it, they're just going to give it to bankers and oilmen instead of WWII vets, etc.

Molon Lube

Freeky

Every day brings more reasons to teach the monkey to be a monster when he grows up, so that he'll at least have a fighting chance.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on July 29, 2011, 08:32:03 PM
Every day brings more reasons to teach the monkey to be a monster when he grows up, so that he'll at least have a fighting chance.

Just get him used to the taste of pork, and he'll be fine.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2011, 08:32:55 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on July 29, 2011, 08:32:03 PM

Just get him used to the taste of pork, and he'll be fine.

:lulz:

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2011, 08:23:01 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/delayed-social-security-payments-debt-default_n_912763.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C82132

Expect to see congressmen gunned to death by Octagenarian WWII vets.

I originally read the post this way, and still approved.

I don't know about the US, but there seems to be a cottage industry here of newstories about muggers picking on former WWII commandos and SOE operatives.  Which usually turns out bad.  I seem to recall one particular gentleman with a cane who did horrible, horrible things to his would-be mugger.  As one would expect from people who were taking close combat classes from Fairbairn and Sykes.

Get them near a politician and the latter stands no chance.  It would look like Red, only more terrifying.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2011, 08:37:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2011, 08:23:01 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/delayed-social-security-payments-debt-default_n_912763.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C82132

Expect to see congressmen gunned to death by Octagenarian WWII vets.

I originally read the post this way, and still approved.

I don't know about the US, but there seems to be a cottage industry here of newstories about muggers picking on former WWII commandos and SOE operatives.  Which usually turns out bad.  I seem to recall one particular gentleman with a cane who did horrible, horrible things to his would-be mugger.  As one would expect from people who were taking close combat classes from Fairbairn and Sykes.

Get them near a politician and the latter stands no chance.  It would look like Red, only more terrifying.

I'm sort of looking forward to this.

And Red - the comic - sucked (at least in comparison to the rest of Warren Ellis' work)  I haven't seen the movie, but it looks much better.
Molon Lube

Cain

I haven't read the comic (it was the first thing that came up for "warren ellis red" on Google), but the film was very entertaining.  John Malkovich in particular is quite brilliant in his role.

And of course, even if the WWII vets don't get out there, there are plenty of Vietnam, Gulf War One, Afghanistan and Gulf War II vets out there...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2011, 08:44:35 PM
I haven't read the comic (it was the first thing that came up for "warren ellis red" on Google), but the film was very entertaining.  John Malkovich in particular is quite brilliant in his role.

And of course, even if the WWII vets don't get out there, there are plenty of Vietnam, Gulf War One, Afghanistan and Gulf War II vets out there...

Yeah, so these tough old bastards fought Nazis and Tojo and the Viet Cong...And now they'll have no income, and not much time left, anyway.

I wonder how that will play out?
Molon Lube

Jenne

The movie "Red" was great.  Very hilarious.  Surprisingly so.

I really hope the oldsters come out in droves...but I'm wary of trusting them to do so.  I suspect they are getting the same sort of ennui and "btdt" with government that we all have.  With the GOP playing fast and loose with SS payments, PERHAPS they might sustain an effort to poke their asses.  I hope so, anyway.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2011, 09:29:12 PM
The movie "Red" was great.  Very hilarious.  Surprisingly so.

I really hope the oldsters come out in droves...but I'm wary of trusting them to do so.  I suspect they are getting the same sort of ennui and "btdt" with government that we all have.  With the GOP playing fast and loose with SS payments, PERHAPS they might sustain an effort to poke their asses.  I hope so, anyway.

The prospect of starving to death generally tends to keep people focused.
Molon Lube