News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

IQ score!

Started by rong, September 16, 2011, 10:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

Do you think that iq scores could be artificially inflated (or deflated) so as to influence the population?

Cuz either I'm a dummy or everyone else is.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Murmur

Anything can. It's called Falsifying Statistics.
Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on September 16, 2011, 10:30:15 PM
Do you think that iq scores could be artificially inflated (or deflated) so as to influence the population?

Cuz either I'm a dummy or everyone else is.

By an individual? Or averages?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

The average iq in any population is 100 with a standard deviation of, if i can recall, 16 points. So a person with an iq of 84 has a normal iq as does someone with a 116 iq. But people normally don't think of it like that and since people often inflate their own iqs (this is easily done by fudging you age a little) 100 doesnt sound particularly good anyway.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

It sould also be noted that iq is nothing more than intellectual age compared to physical age by measuring ability to problem solve- something that can be skewed by taking an iq test multiple times.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Right, and since average is 100 no matter how intelligent the average population is, no, you cannot skew averages, but you can skew individual results.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Exactly. Iq test results have to be recalibrated every some odd years because the new average will increase compared to the old one. But the test's average must always be 100. Get stephen hawking to build you a time machine go back 50 years get scored as a genius. :p

Salty

I know this guy, big fat guy.
He's got an IQ of 147, 20 points over mine.
I get along with him because he's funny and gets a lot of jokes that a lot of most of my co-workers do not. He's a Christian, but that's doesn't keep me from enjoying his company.

He's got a kid on the way, little boy.
Did i mention he's fat? That's not accurate, this man is obese. He goes through a medium bottle of ketchup in about 3 days. That is the limit of his vegetable intake. I've watched him pour more maple syrup on his pancakes than he had pancakes. He consumes so much sugar and fat and greasy filth that there is no doubt that he will die of a heart attack if allowed to progress along his set path. People around him, including his poor wife, have tried to reason with him. I've tried to get him to at least go to the gym with me, for free, since I know he won't change his food habits.

My point is: IQ is for shit. It's a verifiable fact that his application of fats will clog his arteries. For chrissake his father is a doctor. Yet this man with an IQ of 147 will not concede to this fact, not even with a son on the way.
IQ, in the most practical, everyday living kind of way, is useless.

Oh, as to the OP: I dunno. Yeah? If you take the tests over and over and study the types of problems that are common, sure.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

rong

Right. What I was getting at is that maybe "average" is actaully 90 or 110. Depending on which figure makes you want to pay more taxes

Phox

Quote from: rong on September 17, 2011, 12:24:13 AM
Right. What I was getting at is that maybe "average" is actaully 90 or 110. Depending on which figure makes you want to pay more taxes
I don't follow. If memory serves, they alter the charts so that 100 remains the "average" even if the current average was 90 or 110 on the previous chart. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got that idea, though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

rong

It's just a number. They claim 100 is average. Maybe its snot

Nephew Twiddleton

Cram mentioned it as a rebuttal to yatto in spring.

Nephew Twiddleton

The test is designed so that the average score is 100. I think youre going to have to clarify more rong.

Phox

Quote from: rong on September 17, 2011, 12:36:04 AM
It's just a number. They claim 100 is average. Maybe its snot
Umm. what? I'm still not following what you are saying.

I mean, theoretically, yes, it could be something else, but I don't see any advantage in misleading people about such things. Misleading people about their individual score, certainly, but... an overall average... no.

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on September 17, 2011, 12:36:31 AM
Cram mentioned it as a rebuttal to yatto in spring.
Is that where I heard that? I seem to recall reading it elsewhere as well/instead of.... whatever, the idea is in my head, and it obviously came from somewhere.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Im surprised i remembered it off the top of my head but cram did mention it after yatto posted a link to korn,s video evolution and cram also posted external links backing him up.