News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Day of Rage

Started by BabylonHoruv, September 17, 2011, 01:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Anyone seen this?

http://usdayofrage.org/

Apparently activists plan to occupy wall street and are using rhetoric referring to the Arab Spring.

The fact that I hadn't heard about it until the day before tells me I am not as plugged into the protest movement as I used to be, but the fact that i haven't seen it mentioned here suggests to me that it is not as big a deal as the organizers hope.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

the last yatto

Already planned to order them pizza... local spags are going to the bank of america tower
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on September 17, 2011, 01:57:43 AM
Anyone seen this?

http://usdayofrage.org/

Apparently activists plan to occupy wall street and are using rhetoric referring to the Arab Spring.

The fact that I hadn't heard about it until the day before tells me I am not as plugged into the protest movement as I used to be, but the fact that i haven't seen it mentioned here suggests to me that it is not as big a deal as the organizers hope.

I expect this to accomplish nothing.

It's unfortunate, but until people get to the point that they don't have more than half a meal a day, nothing happens. And I put it like that, because some days, I get away with eating once.

A hungry population is a dangerous population.

Awell fed protesting population is a population of "activists"

Twid,
Being Doktor Blight for a moment.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, Western "democracies" do a good job of marginalizing and imprisoning people who are saying the same things as revolutionaries that we support in Arab countries.

This is working me up to a rant, but I'm under the influence, so I won't embarrass myself.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are real protests in these cities all the time. This, rather erroneously labeled "day of rage" with no apparent rage, looks like a toothless decoy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

We have vastly different definitions of "real protests", I fear.

The last "real protest" I remember in PDX was the one where they were all mad about the cops shooting people and all that happened was some "anarchist" threw his bike at a cop car and then suddenly it was considered a "riot".

Not that I'm pining for some PDX version of WTO, mind you. I lived in Belltown when that shit went down and it really wasn't all that cool.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

the last yatto

There's some bite to it since us uncut is asking people to close their accounts at these banks...

Tactic seems to work... http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/03/11/wisconsin-protesters-target-bank-that-supported-governor-walker/
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Brian Fnord on September 17, 2011, 05:10:23 AM
There's some bite to it since us uncut is asking people to close their accounts at these banks...

Tactic seems to work... http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/03/11/wisconsin-protesters-target-bank-that-supported-governor-walker/

There's no point in closing a bank account when most people have less than $300 in their account at any given time.

Twid,
living paycheck to paycheck.

Cain

So, just looking at the occupation plans....they're not actually occupying any buildings or offices in Wall Street (which might actually disrupt trading and cost the country money, and so be a useful and legitimate bargaining tool), they're just going to stand on the sidewalks outside, giving speeches.  Oh, and they're doing this on a Saturday, which is only marginally better than doing it on a Sunday.

I give this plan roughly 1/10.  That 1 is for actually identifying the problem.  They lost nine points for bad strategy and bad tactics.

How did the Teabaggers get their tax cuts?  Holding the fortunes of the country hostage.  How're you going to change Wall Street?  The exact same way.

For fucks sake, can we fly some Thai Redshirts over to New York?  Someone, anyone, with an idea of how to actually put pressure on political targets, and not hold yet another dreary "protest" dressed up in revolutionary rhetoric.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on September 17, 2011, 09:13:18 AM
So, just looking at the occupation plans....they're not actually occupying any buildings or offices in Wall Street (which might actually disrupt trading and cost the country money, and so be a useful and legitimate bargaining tool), they're just going to stand on the sidewalks outside, giving speeches.  Oh, and they're doing this on a Saturday, which is only marginally better than doing it on a Sunday.

I give this plan roughly 1/10.  That 1 is for actually identifying the problem.  They lost nine points for bad strategy and bad tactics.

How did the Teabaggers get their tax cuts?  Holding the fortunes of the country hostage.  How're you going to change Wall Street?  The exact same way.

For fucks sake, can we fly some Thai Redshirts over to New York?  Someone, anyone, with an idea of how to actually put pressure on political targets, and not hold yet another dreary "protest" dressed up in revolutionary rhetoric.

This is America, Cain.

That's just too much fucking effort. Can't we hire someone to do all that shit for us?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 17, 2011, 05:01:28 AM
:lulz:

We have vastly different definitions of "real protests", I fear.

The last "real protest" I remember in PDX was the one where they were all mad about the cops shooting people and all that happened was some "anarchist" threw his bike at a cop car and then suddenly it was considered a "riot".

Not that I'm pining for some PDX version of WTO, mind you. I lived in Belltown when that shit went down and it really wasn't all that cool.

The media stopped reporting protests about 15 years ago. Now, the only way to know one's happening is to accidentally be in the middle of one having your car overturned.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

(That's when you're like, oh shit, I should have checked my Facebook event invites)

But seriously, my kid was amidst thousands of people getting maced by police a couple years ago, but not even Willy Week covered it. How many sluts marched at Slutwalk? Got zero coverage. Local media policy is no mention of protests, at all, ever. Protests are no longer a useful tool for raising awareness.

Cain

They're useless even when they do raise awareness.

That's why you have to occupy and disrupt the economic seats of power.  Airports, banks, stock exchanges.  Make your protest cost real money and get international investors slightly nervous.  Put a dent in the stock prices.  Anything less is self-aggrandizing political wankery.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Absolutely. Protests were once useful because they disrupted things.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.