News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Upside down happenings

Started by Placid Dingo, February 19, 2012, 02:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Because it doesn't really impact too many people here so directly I might put the Aussie stuff here.

For some time now there's been a lot of talk about the leadership of the incumbent ALP govenment (Australian Labor Party). Previous Prime Minister Kevin Rudd was ousted in a leadership challenge. The Labor Party have essentially two inside competing factions- the labor left and the labor right. Current PM Julia Gillard is supported by (though I don't think is actually of) the right. Rudd is similarly associate with the left.

There's a lot of media speculation of another challenge, this time with Rudd ousting Gillard. It sounded like crap to me but a friend whose political awareness is pretty top notch suggests the original backers of Gillard (Bill Shorten and other names I don't recall) are themselves losing faith in the ability of Gillard to beat Tony Abbot (climate skeptic, opposition leader). Last election was a hung parliament. So what does that mean? Not sure. But it's going to be an interesting
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

Holy fuck.

Rudd just quit and made no bones about his feelings that he did not hold the confidence of the party or PM.

He gave his federal party a kick in the balls but he's also given a rousing endorsement to the State Labor party in QLD possibly making the upcoming unwinnable election winnable.

Labor is in a mess.

Cain

As I understand it, the Australian Liberal Party are utterly insufferable, with Tony Abbott being like Michael Gove, only without the latter's "charm".

Maybe Rudd is hoping that enough people are scared by Abbott's extreme social conservatism that they will not get in, and that disaffected left wingers will vote Green, and so strengthen the hand of the left wing of the Labor Party?  Agitating from the left would defiitely move the party more in the direction he would like, though it may take some time in Opposition to fully build up the left of the party.

Placid Dingo

Rudd is many things but he's never struck me as an idiot. There's one idea floating right now that Mondays vote was meant to set the scene for a leadership challenge after the next election. Again, this would be a figure from the left. Your theory is interesting too Cain. Labor often seems to take Greens support for granted because, hey, what ate they gonna do, preference the Libs?  The election I was involved in though there was a lot of animosity between the parties and the Greens didn't preference anyone at all. Green=Labor is actually a major PR issue for the greens.

Abbot is truly horrible but the tangible loathing of Gillard really could lose the ALP the election. The last one got us into the current hung parliament. It will be a good election for the Greens perhaps but ultimately a Liberal victory isn't something I'd like to see.

Gillard has previously proposed American style primaries, but I think this time around the Australian people are too fatigued of politics to go there any time soon.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Sorry, all I know about politics in the land of kangaroos is that you have Xenophon, and he is at least selectively awesome.

Placid Dingo

What's awesome about Xenephon? He's struck me as a bit of a twat. Isn't he family first?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 29, 2012, 10:50:50 PM
What's awesome about Xenephon? He's struck me as a bit of a twat. Isn't he family first?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xenophon+scientology

I did say "selectively" awesome.

Placid Dingo

Ha! I'd forgotten about that.

I thought maybe you meant how he always has two sharpened pencils on him in case of terrorist sattack.

Im pretty sure he lost his position though.

Deepthroat Chopra

Placid, you're thinking of this guy -

Steve Fielding, one of the wackiest people thrust into our senate by our wierd preferential Senate voting system. 1.8 per cent of Victorian vote got him a senate seat, due to occultic preference swaps between the major parties to keep the Greens out.

I'd post some of his wacky quotes, but they seem to be fairly standard quotes coming out of American parliamentarians anyway. Dawking told him his IQ was lower than an earth-worm's on a panel show once. Things like "A bloke cannot marry his brother; it is not right. A woman cannot marry their sister; it is not right. A bloke cannot marry a bloke because it is not right, and a female cannot marry a female because it is not right. I don't support this." Creationism, etc.

Xenophon is still in the Senate, and will continue to be so, I think, because his anti-pokie campaigning resonates with enough South Australians to get him a Senate quota. Not to mention being the only Oz pollie to campaign against the Scientologists, as well as other things that he can take a principled stand on, becasue he's an independent. Don't agree with everything, but I consider one of the few "good guys" in parliament.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Placid Dingo

Thank you DC.

Yea, Xenophons alright.

Deepthroat Chopra

I haven't really been too conceerned about the Gillard/Rudd thing. Largely irrelevant, except for the bit where it's helping Tony Abbott's cause. Even though he's refrained from making too many outlandish right-wing statements, he and Rick Santorum are from the same altar-cloth.

Honestly, I see the current state of affairs as the best government we could have within the realistic parameters of our form of democracy. Media and commentators whinge about the "hung" parliament, but it's been the best period of legislation since *looks around sheepishly* Gough Whitlam.

Last election, Gillard stood up and proudly announce that she wouldn't really be doing anything at all, but she wasn't Abbott, and ha, as if you people are stupid enough to nearly elect him!

But now, she has to deal with Greens and the Indies, who I'm glad to say have been surprising voices of reason at most times. We'd have no carbon action, no Disability Insurance Scheme, no pokie action (well, actually, that hasn't happened yet), no medicare dental coverage, no increases in wages for NGO service workers...the list could go on, without this wonderful hung parliament.

I use the word wonderful relatively. remember Gillard's promise on climate change? "I'll put together a random group of citizens to talk about it for the next three years!". Amazing, that you can try and dress up iinaction as an actual policy.

MORE HUNG PARLIAMENTS! I say.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Placid Dingo

Gillard is holding a buisiness conference which seems to be about hoping industry will provide a few soundbites on how stable our economy is.

In QLD Can-Do is making important changes, like taking away State Support for Gay Union Ceromonies because 'some groups might think it looks like its trying to imitate marriage'. So in real terms, no pragmatgic change, just a mild 'fuck you' to keep the conservatives happy.

HArrassment of an Independent (Craig Thompson - suspected of misuse of union funds) kind of peaked, and then everyone got really upset and it kind of dropped off the media.

Also, Pokies Legislation designed to fail has been placed in the wilderness to be picked apart by scavengers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 19, 2012, 02:38:28 AM
Because it doesn't really impact too many people here so directly I might put the Aussie stuff here.

It impacts me.

Ask me why.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on June 13, 2012, 05:13:51 PM
Why?

Because I like to think, sometimes, that people ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD might not be as STUPID as they are here.  But they are.  This fills my heart with hate.  It makes me want to send the 6th fleet around to Australia and teach those pouch-bellied, beer-swilling dingos WHO THE FUCKING BOSS IS, when it comes to dumbfuckery.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.