News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

A Treatise On Calling People On Their Bullshit.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, May 09, 2012, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

By which I mean:

The phrase "there's black people and there's niggers" implies that "niggers" is a subset of "black people".

Using "retards" as a descriptor for non-brain damaged people does not imply such a subset.

But nice implication.
Molon Lube

LizKing531

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:34:25 PM
Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:33:55 PM

It's a nice justification but it seems to be just about the equivalent of "there's black people & then there's niggers"

Yeah.  Take your false equivalence and fuck off.

So is this an example of retardation or pretension?

Have you yet to think thru why someone COULD be offended by the use of retard or are you just butthurt?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:38:40 PM

It's a nice justification but it seems to be just about the equivalent of "there's black people & then there's niggers"

Have you yet to think thru why someone COULD be offended by the use of retard or are you just butthurt?

See my above post, then continue fucking off.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Pixie on May 09, 2012, 06:15:28 PM
Now, I realise that in some places, like work, that calling people out on their crap may not be the best thing to do on a personal level, especially if it doesn't relate directly to you/a colleague, and in a recession where your ass might get fired and another job might be not forthcoming. We all have to eat, pay bills, keep ourselves housed and clothed. It would be fucking awesome if we could speak up and not jeopardise our livelihoods, or personal safety, but if you are broke or in hospital or dead, you aren't much use to the practice of Calling People On Their Bullshit.

In a work situation you can report it to the higher ups. I've never been fired for doing this...even if the higher ups are assholes, they know this kind of shit is bad for business and in some cases, illegal.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LizKing531

Using "retards" as a descriptor for non-brain damaged people does imply that "retard" is degredational -

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:39:24 PM

Where the fuck did this one come from, Dok?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:40:04 PM
Using "retards" as a descriptor for non-brain damaged people does imply that "retard" is degredational -

Nope.  It in no way references brain damaged people in its current parlance.

But don't let that stand in the way of your self-righteous indignation.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 09, 2012, 08:40:43 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:39:24 PM

Where the fuck did this one come from, Dok?

Don't know, don't care.
Molon Lube

LizKing531

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:41:01 PM

pot - meet kettle - kettle this is pot

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:43:01 PM

Why, yes, I'm the one that came in here and bashed the OP with a false equivalence.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!
Molon Lube

LizKing531

Nope.  It in no way references brain damaged people in its current parlance.

[/quote]

Really? .... Really?

:roll:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:01:39 PM
Quote from: Pixie on May 09, 2012, 06:30:51 PM
I err towards full calling out cos some people are retarded, but it depends on how well you know your audience.

I do find it udderly ironic that in this thread, you chose "retarded" as the descriptor - slurs & degredation only count as a bad move towards race & gender? 

Not trying to flame anyone - this is a serious point that's been brought up a lot around me recently. Why is "retarded" not viewed as a degrading term to most people?

Most people are dumb.

A kid with brain damage is not a retard, in the current meaning of the word.  I believe they are called developmentally delayed or some such thing.  I prefer the term "brain damage", because that's what actually happened to the poor little buggers.

A person that CAN think, but WON'T, is a retard.

"Retarded" simply means "slowed down". People started using it because it's kinder than "idiot".

Saying someone is "retarded" simply means that it's harder for them to learn things because their brain doesn't function properly. Nobody who wasn't a supreme fuckwad would walk up to a Down's kid and call him a retard. A "retard" is what Dok said. No organic brain damage, just a decision to close off and stay stupid. Which is the kind of person I suspect I'm wasting my time trying to explain this to.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:48:29 PM
Really? .... Really?

:roll:

What an awe-inspiring argument.

Just keep digging.  You'll be out of that hole in no time.
Molon Lube

LizKing531

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:44:37 PM

Why, yes, I'm the one that came in here and bashed the OP with a false equivalence.

Yeah pretty much.....considering I didn't bash anyone.....also considering the topic was about speaking up about offensive crap & this happens to be offensive to some folks - it might not be directly in your sphere, but it's still there -

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LizKing531 on May 09, 2012, 08:52:01 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 08:44:37 PM

Yeah pretty much.....considering I didn't bash anyone.....also considering the topic was about speaking up about offensive crap & this happens to be offensive to some folks - it might not be directly in your sphere, but it's still there -

Molon Lube