News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

So What's A White Boy To Do?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

I have no fucking clue what this whole war bonnets thing is. Just glanced at the open bar thread and seen I've missed half a dozen relevant pages.

All comments above are in total ignorance, will read and re-consider.

I was just thinking about workhouses finding labourers, prisons rarely being short of prisoners etc..., on the form/function front
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 27, 2012, 10:21:14 PM
I have no fucking clue what this whole war bonnets thing is. Just glanced at the open bar thread and seen I've missed half a dozen relevant pages.

I was just thinking about workhouses finding labourers, prisons rarely being short of prisoners etc..., on the form/function front

It's basically a discussion about how wearing dreds is the same as stealing peoples' land and taking all their shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 27, 2012, 10:22:52 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on November 27, 2012, 10:21:14 PM

It's basically a discussion about how wearing dreds is the same as stealing peoples' land and taking all their shit.
No. As Nigel said,
Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 05:42:17 PM
It's more like the far-reaching after effects of colonization. "Hey, we're gonna take THAT, TOO <yoink>"
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 27, 2012, 09:37:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2012, 07:46:24 PM
I've heard, for really real, that some pre-colonial dwellers of the North American continent (as it is currently called) are indeed offended when the white opressor walks upon their sacred land and, you know, enjoys themselves.

You're right.  They're all dead now, so it doesn't matter.

"Every fortune begins with a crime lapsed statute of limitations."
- Voltaire

Who's all dead now?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cultures are fluid. They change and grow and meld into each other. Some of these meldings are more... unequal, shall we say. Forced, either through aggressive force or economic force. So my main question in whether exploitative appropriation is happening is whether someone is benefiting materially from it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

I know a white guy with dreds. Pretty sure he stole from me.

Sounds legit.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 10:29:00 PM
Cultures are fluid. They change and grow and meld into each other. Some of these meldings are more... unequal, shall we say. Forced, either through aggressive force or economic force. So my main question in whether exploitative appropriation is happening is whether someone is benefiting materially from it.

so, i'm not sure if i'm getting it right or not.
the dreads thing is appropriation by this standard, but not exploitative appropriation since the white guy isn't benefiting materially from it?
what would be an example of exploitative cultural appropriation?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 27, 2012, 10:58:57 PM

the dreads thing is appropriation by this standard, but not exploitative appropriation since the white guy isn't benefiting materially from it?

I would say that the Rasta wannabe stuff is appropriation that comes from a colonial legacy, but it's not exploitative. At least not the stuff I know about.

Exploitative cultural appropriation would be like the white "Shaman" who sells tickets to an "authentic Lakota spirit quest sweat lodge experience".

Don Coyote

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 11:03:34 PM

I would say that the Rasta wannabe stuff is appropriation that comes from a colonial legacy, but it's not exploitative. At least not the stuff I know about.

Exploitative cultural appropriation would be like the white "Shaman" who sells tickets to an "authentic Lakota spirit quest sweat lodge experience".

i was just about to post something similar :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Stripped of the Rasta associations, dreads are just a hairstyle. Lots of people have worn dreadlocks, including the Irish, an image I am loth to dwell on.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: American Jackal on November 27, 2012, 11:04:26 PM
Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 11:03:34 PM

i was just about to post something similar :argh!:

IT WILL BRING YOU CLOSER TO THE GREAT SPIRIT, GRASSHOPPER.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 27, 2012, 11:06:44 PM
Stripped of the Rasta associations, dreads are just a hairstyle. Lots of people have worn dreadlocks, including the Irish, an image I am loth to dwell on.

I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that.  :argh!:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Elder Iptuous

gotcha.
so it doesn't exploit those that the culture was appropriated from, necessarily. in this case, it is exploiting the cherohonkies that pay for the experience, right?

hmm, is the current mayan 2012 craze exploitative?  i guess that is to say, do the people whose culture was appropriated have to still be around?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 28, 2012, 12:00:10 AM
gotcha.
so it doesn't exploit those that the culture was appropriated from, necessarily. in this case, it is exploiting the cherohonkies that pay for the experience, right?

hmm, is the current mayan 2012 craze exploitative?  i guess that is to say, do the people whose culture was appropriated have to still be around?

In the case of the Fakota Sweatlodge Shaman, it exploits aspects of the culture (the sweatlodge, the romantic notion of the indian Shaman) and it exploits the wishful thinking and gullibility of those who fall for it. It damages the reputation of genuine Lakota/Nakota/Dakota religious ceremonies and customs (in which accepting payment for spiritual ceremony is strictly taboo and is considered to strip it of anything sacred), as well as all other Native American customs by association, and it probably does some minor psychological harm to the Cherohonkies as well as defrauding them of money.