News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

The Last Whiskey Bar

Started by Suu, December 04, 2012, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Juana Go? on December 31, 2012, 07:14:12 PM
It's New Year's Eve day. I don't think people are going to be around much today or tomorrow.

There's been plenty of people on.

Anyway, I'm not flouncing.  I'll be around, here and there...But I think I'm just going to browse through ancient posts for a while, since it's been months since we've had a decent conversation and more than 3 years (!!!) since we even went trolling en masse.

I just don't see the need to bust my ass writing rants (the shit ain't easy), etc, so that I can get blow off answers at best, and a few dozen views with zero responses at worst. 

So if I can't beat 'em, I'll just join them, viewing the index of Principiadiscordia.com...Which is, after all, what Discordianism has become over the last few years, both here and at facebook.

At least until we go over "the cliff", and all the lights go out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 07:36:32 PM
It's New Year's Eve day. I don't think people are going to be around much today or tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm not flouncing.  I'll be around, here and there...But I think I'm just going to browse through ancient posts for a while, since it's been months since we've had a decent conversation and more than 3 years (!!!) since we even went trolling en masse.

I just don't see the need to bust my ass writing rants (the shit ain't easy), etc, so that I can get blow off answers at best, and a few dozen views with zero responses at worst. 

So if I can't beat 'em, I'll just join them, viewing the index of Principiadiscordia.com...Which is, after all, what Discordianism has become over the last few years, both here and at facebook.

:cry:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anencephaly Zone Correspondent on December 31, 2012, 07:47:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 07:36:32 PM

:cry:

I gave up trying more than a year ago.  Invariably, I'd be over there, wherever "there" was, by myself.  I felt like Charley Brown trying to kick the football, you know what I mean?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't think the problem is with any users here, though...I think what happened was that the great exodus to Facebook brought us below some sort of threshhold beneath which conversations just don't have enough steam to continue.

Which is just another reason to hate the FB Discordians.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 07:06:48 PM
I think I've finally had enough of hollering into an empty room.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my gut reaction to these kinds of posts is to put my tablet down and go off in search of something fun to do. I come to the internet to have fun, and seeing someone griping because nobody's posting is the exact opposite of fun. I know you're going to say that you don't mean me, but it doesn't really matter who you mean, it's still pages of hollering that this place is no fun and that tells me I might as well not waste my time here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 08:46:20 PM
I don't think the problem is with any users here, though...I think what happened was that the great exodus to Facebook brought us below some sort of threshhold beneath which conversations just don't have enough steam to continue.

I think that might be a good part of it. Consider, at point I'd say the majority of us live in the United States, and most of us have day jobs, some of us can post from work, others of us cannot. It's quite possible that it's not so much that there aren't enough people here, so much as not enough people here at the same time.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 31, 2012, 08:52:28 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 07:06:48 PM
I think I've finally had enough of hollering into an empty room.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my gut reaction to these kinds of posts is to put my tablet down and go off in search of something fun to do. I come to the internet to have fun, and seeing someone griping because nobody's posting is the exact opposite of fun. I know you're going to say that you don't mean me, but it doesn't really matter who you mean, it's still pages of hollering that this place is no fun and that tells me I might as well not waste my time here.

I was under the impression that the bar thread was, among other things, for venting.

I can see that I was mistaken.  I shall refrain from doing so in the future.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 31, 2012, 08:54:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2012, 08:46:20 PM

I think that might be a good part of it. Consider, at point I'd say the majority of us live in the United States, and most of us have day jobs, some of us can post from work, others of us cannot. It's quite possible that it's not so much that there aren't enough people here, so much as not enough people here at the same time.

Done talking about it, at least on PD.

AFK

Everything has a natural life span, with ebbs and flows, including boards.  We've seen it.  We've attempted to board forums that ended up being deader than Bob Hope.  But I imagine at some point they were likely hopping joints.  This forum, I don't think, is immune to that cycle.  It is filled with humans with natural life-spans complete with life shifts and changes.  It was never going to last forever.  Now, that also isn't saying raise the white flag and ride off into the sunset.  But, I think it is safe to say this place will never be like it was at its peak.  It is a lot slower paced with fewer denizens.  We just have to make of it with what we have. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

EDIT:  I no longer feel like explaining myself.

MMIX

So I was just giving my dogs their late night walk and  we came under a sustained rocket attack interspersed with ground mortars; scared the shit out of the dogs, literally. So either someone just declared war on south pembrokeshire or its 2013 already. So Happy New year spags & weirdos; unless we really  have just been attacked in which case, er bye bye . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on January 01, 2013, 12:11:26 AM
So I was just giving my dogs their late night walk and  we came under a sustained rocket attack interspersed with ground mortars; scared the shit out of the dogs, literally. So either someone just declared war on south pembrokeshire or its 2013 already. So Happy New year spags & weirdos; unless we really  have just been attacked in which case, er bye bye . . .

I warned you about those Welsh.  They've probably been stockpiling that shit for a solid year.

MMIX

Quote from: CHUMP on January 01, 2013, 12:13:06 AM

I warned you about those Welsh.  They've probably been stockpiling that shit for a solid year.

Apparently so had the dogs; gas attack, gas attack.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on January 01, 2013, 12:29:11 AM

I just jam my head up my own ass when that happens. 

There.  Now you understand why I am what I am.

MMIX

Quote from: CHUMP on January 01, 2013, 12:30:19 AM
Quote from: MMIX on January 01, 2013, 12:29:11 AM

I just jam my head up my own ass when that happens. 

There.  Now you understand why I am what I am.
And thus I was enlightened; cool way to start the new year, that