News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Tennessee getting ready to throw poor students under the bus.

Started by Bruno, April 04, 2013, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2013, 05:10:25 AM
Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 05:07:49 AM

No money to seek professional help...too poor to afford healthcare, too "rich" to have someone else afford it for me

Translation:  Can't be arsed to look for it, will assume smudgy people took it all anyway.

See what I mean, Cainad?

It doesn't take professional help to clean the ground-in bullshit out of your head anyway. All it takes is looking around, asking yourself some questions, and answering them honestly.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 04:56:12 PM
Just from a factual angle, I'm not sure that's why, Roger - more like, historically, poor people have had less access to birth control. The birth rates around here have dropped a hell of a lot since the economy went to shit and since universal access to birth control (actually, thanks, Obama!) the abortion rate has been halved.

Poor people have traditionally had more kids because they haven't had access to birth control and privileged little shit like VZ shit on them for being poor, essentially. Also, the "welfare queen" trope (which you're hinting at, VZ, with the "family planning" thing) is a racist fucking construct designed to control the sexuality of women and MOST especially that of women of color, since a lot of classism hinges on racism and WoC are, in a white society, seen as hypersexual.
Here's some reading on it, if you want to maybe try to stand on your hind feet.

Yeah, in the poorest countries women are agitating for access to birth control, and when they get it birth rates drop off sharply. We take access to birth control for granted, but in really poor areas women have neither reproductive education nor access to birth control.

And, of course, the upper class is resisting giving it to them, because if they have a choice they'd rather not crank out endless babies, and that means fewer serfs.

But Roger also has a point, which is that impoverished people also breed more because they don't see a better way to use their time and resources. Men in impoverished areas are the least likely to be willing to use condoms, the most likely to see having many children as signs of status, and the least likely to support them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 04:58:09 PM
I sometimes wonder whether people decide I'm a welfare queen when I pull my food card out of my Coach purse to pay for my organic beans and milk at Whole Foods.

I wonder, does getting divorced and having your business tank mean that you have to give away all your nice things and replace them with shit from Target?

a ) Personally, I would not make that assessment of you. I'd be likely to chalk it up to "I have no idea where that came from but clearly someone at the DES who knows some verified facts believes this person needs assistance so who am I to judge?"

b ) I actually prefer "shit from Target" to "nice things," but that's just me.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I wish I had real nets back and could join the discussion and put a UK perspective into the debate / drubbing new guy is getting.

navkat

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 04:54:57 PM
Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 08, 2013, 04:45:56 PM
Let's not get in a Humvee here and drive all over this now.

Look, kid, the reason we're trying to give you a shot here is because Cainad has some credibility round these parts and if he says there's some IRL value in that head of yours, I'm willing to try to crack it open and help you dump out all the garbage.

But you got Nigel's hackles up and that's a difficult thing to overcome. You made some dumbshit comments. It's okay. How you deal with it next will determin how you recover here. You need to regroup, rethink and restate...only THIS time, stop doing it from Glenn Beck's podium. Glenn Beck is a wealthy white man with three or four books, a TV show and a nice house in Texas. He knows nothing about what it means to make $9.50 an hour in 2013. 2013 is a vastly different world than the one he grew up in when he worked hard and "made it happen" for himself. He also had help along the way. And connections. And he's good-looking, which doesn't hurt.

You're a workaday dude with problems. Just like the rest of the $9.50/hour earners. But if you'd like to prove me wrong, you're certainly welcome to get off your ass and go get a job making multiple six-figures working for Fox or CNN today, if you want.

I'm a colored single mother on food stamps, you know I can't afford a Humvee.

I love you so much. <3

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on April 08, 2013, 05:04:34 PM
I sometimes wonder whether people decide I'm a welfare queen when I pull my food card out of my Coach purse to pay for my organic beans and milk at Whole Foods.

I wonder, does getting divorced and having your business tank mean that you have to give away all your nice things and replace them with shit from Target?

a ) Personally, I would not make that assessment of you. I'd be likely to chalk it up to "I have no idea where that came from but clearly someone at the DES who knows some verified facts believes this person needs assistance so who am I to judge?"

I don't like shit from Target because

A. most of it is made in China and I prefer not to support slave labor, and
B. it wears out fast which means you have to buy MORE slave-made shit.

My purse cost $300, but I doubt I'll ever have to buy a new one. Which is good, because I loathe shopping and I also really hate replacing things.

Of course, some Coach is now made in China, and that means I never WILL buy a new Coach, regardless.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 08, 2013, 05:10:45 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 04:54:57 PM
Quote from: navkat: navkat of...navkat! on April 08, 2013, 04:45:56 PM
Let's not get in a Humvee here and drive all over this now.

Look, kid, the reason we're trying to give you a shot here is because Cainad has some credibility round these parts and if he says there's some IRL value in that head of yours, I'm willing to try to crack it open and help you dump out all the garbage.

But you got Nigel's hackles up and that's a difficult thing to overcome. You made some dumbshit comments. It's okay. How you deal with it next will determin how you recover here. You need to regroup, rethink and restate...only THIS time, stop doing it from Glenn Beck's podium. Glenn Beck is a wealthy white man with three or four books, a TV show and a nice house in Texas. He knows nothing about what it means to make $9.50 an hour in 2013. 2013 is a vastly different world than the one he grew up in when he worked hard and "made it happen" for himself. He also had help along the way. And connections. And he's good-looking, which doesn't hurt.

You're a workaday dude with problems. Just like the rest of the $9.50/hour earners. But if you'd like to prove me wrong, you're certainly welcome to get off your ass and go get a job making multiple six-figures working for Fox or CNN today, if you want.

I'm a colored single mother on food stamps, you know I can't afford a Humvee.

I love you so much. <3

8)

navkat

No, it means you are required to sell them for like $80, use that for food and go without things like purses at ALL. Carry your shit in a paper bag, bitch.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 08:43:03 AM
Dude, working as a measure of a person's worth is so ingrained in our society (and also being poor sucks and it's not like welfare is paying anyone the big bucks) that I doubt there are many people who are gaming the system.

If not outright "gaming", I'm willing to definitely state there are those who get WAAAY more than is really...I guess, fair?

For instance, I spend about $75 monthly on groceries (for myself) and essentially eat prepackaged shit all day every day because its what I afford.

In the same instance, a friend of mine recieves $200 in food stamps monthly for himself, and has his fridge decked out with steak and fancy cakes and all sorts of other top-shelf shit I can't afford.

I guess I can follow you in blaming my employer for not paying me enough, but its this sort of thing that gets me pissed on the whole welfare issue everytime. Essentially, I see myself working hard to eat shit, while my buddy gets to eat like a king for nothing...

ZOMG A POOR PERSON WITH STEAK LET'S CUT FOOD STAMPS

You stated yourself that you spend about $75 a WEEK on crap food. Do you think that guy eats like that EVERY DAY on food stamps? Food stamps buy food for a couple of WEEKS. They're not DESIGNED to last all month unless you live on beans (work-based "safety net" in a country with not enough poverty wage jobs to go around) and after a couple of hungry weeks, people have a tendency to treat themselves.

You sound like one of those people who thinks the "deserving poor" need to be dressed in filthy rags or they're "scamming the system".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 05:11:00 PM

My purse cost $300, but I doubt I'll ever have to buy a new one. Which is good, because I loathe shopping and I also really hate replacing things.

Of course, some Coach is now made in China, and that means I never WILL buy a new Coach, regardless.

Not to mention that their new designs are hideously ostentatious and I would never in a million years walk around with something that has its brand on the OUTSIDE. I don't understand that. It's super trashy.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 05:15:36 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 05:11:00 PM

Not to mention that their new designs are hideously ostentatious and I would never in a million years walk around with something that has its brand on the OUTSIDE. I don't understand that. It's super trashy.

Yes, I won't wear South Pole for that reason. It's like Minnie Pearl wearing a hat with a price tag. Even HEE HAW knew that was fucked up.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on April 08, 2013, 05:13:23 PM
Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: Juana Go? on April 08, 2013, 08:43:03 AM
Dude, working as a measure of a person's worth is so ingrained in our society (and also being poor sucks and it's not like welfare is paying anyone the big bucks) that I doubt there are many people who are gaming the system.

If not outright "gaming", I'm willing to definitely state there are those who get WAAAY more than is really...I guess, fair?

For instance, I spend about $75 monthly on groceries (for myself) and essentially eat prepackaged shit all day every day because its what I afford.

In the same instance, a friend of mine recieves $200 in food stamps monthly for himself, and has his fridge decked out with steak and fancy cakes and all sorts of other top-shelf shit I can't afford.

I guess I can follow you in blaming my employer for not paying me enough, but its this sort of thing that gets me pissed on the whole welfare issue everytime. Essentially, I see myself working hard to eat shit, while my buddy gets to eat like a king for nothing...

ZOMG A POOR PERSON WITH STEAK LET'S CUT FOOD STAMPS

You stated yourself that you spend about $75 a WEEK on crap food. Do you think that guy eats like that EVERY DAY on food stamps? Food stamps buy food for a couple of WEEKS. They're not DESIGNED to last all month unless you live on beans (work-based "safety net" in a country with not enough poverty wage jobs to go around) and after a couple of hungry weeks, people have a tendency to treat themselves.

You sound like one of those people who thinks the "deserving poor" need to be dressed in filthy rags or they're "scamming the system".

He claimed $75/month, which I am going to state with a fair degree of certainty is a gross underestimation. For one thing, he's married, which means that he shares meals with his wife and can't really just sort out how much he pays for groceries. For another, I bet he eats out, and isn't counting restaurant/fast food/snack totals into his food expenses.

You can live on $75/month if you live on beans and rice and onions, but if you eat subsidized processed foods you're not looking at less than $3/day, and that's a severe malnourishment diet.

So, yeah. Budgetwise that just doesn't work out. HE alone might spent $75/month at the grocery store, but that isn't all he eats.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I get just under $400/month for five people, and I buy steak sometimes, too. If it's on sale for anywhere under $4/lb I stock up and throw a bunch of it in the freezer. Cook it up and serve it with rice and broccoli, the kids love it and will actually, you know, not get FUCKING RICKETS.

I buy whole salmons when they go on sale, too.

Also, dumbfuck needs to learn to cook, that processed shit isn't food. I wouldn't feed that to my dogs, let alone my kids.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 08, 2013, 05:26:30 PM
I get just under $400/month for five people, and I buy steak sometimes, too. If it's on sale for anywhere under $4/lb I stock up and throw a bunch of it in the freezer. Cook it up and serve it with rice and broccoli, the kids love it and will actually, you know, not get FUCKING RICKETS.

I buy whole salmons when they go on sale, too.

Also, dumbfuck needs to learn to cook, that processed shit isn't food. I wouldn't feed that to my dogs, let alone my kids.

THIS.
Also, produce, by nature, can't stay on the shelf very long. They mark that shit down ALL THE TIME.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Von Zwietracht on April 08, 2013, 05:38:05 AM
Sounds fair roger.

Ill concede that you're correct that I've not sought help directly...

Regardless, I'm interested in your definition of entitlement...

Regardless, sleep well

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,34409.msg1251383.html#new
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.