News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

That's pretty great. Sinead was idealistic, and was hurt by the industry. Miley GREW UP in the industry, and knows the score.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
That's pretty great. Sinead was idealistic, and was hurt by the industry. Miley GREW UP in the industry, and knows the score.

Also, ripping up an image of a religious figure was okay, but making fun of creepers wasn't?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

To be fair, there is an assumed difference between the political and religious fuckery in Ireland and the non-denominational, bipartisan fuckery of the music biz.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 06:20:28 PM
To be fair, there is an assumed difference between the political and religious fuckery in Ireland and the non-denominational, bipartisan fuckery of the music biz.

I don't see one.  They're both power structures that crap on women.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I know. That why I used the word "assumed". If we don't expect people to know how to be bipedal, we can't expect them to make this distinction as well.

hooplala

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 04, 2013, 05:18:51 AM
Aging pop-star meltdown ensues as O'Connor writes another open letter to Cyrus, who hasn't said anything at all but repost some old O'Connor attention-whoring: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/sinead_oconnor_4.html

She's shrill, nasty and vindictive, makes vague threats, uses the word "unbecoming", and is essentially anything but mature. It's trainwrecky. She's actually engaging in a power-struggle that is bound to end in humiliation. I have never thought O'Connor was a particularly intelligent woman, although I did lover her music when I was young, and I'm quite certain she's nowhere close to as smart as Cyrus is, so I predict this will not end well.

Speaking of "unbecoming", a 47-year-old woman inciting a feud with a 20-year-old is... pathetic.

Celebs probably shouldn't given unsolicited advice to people they don't know if they aren't prepared for the likely response to be "fuck yourself".
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 04, 2013, 07:18:33 PM
Aging pop-star meltdown ensues as O'Connor writes another open letter to Cyrus, who hasn't said anything at all but repost some old O'Connor attention-whoring: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/sinead_oconnor_4.html

She's shrill, nasty and vindictive, makes vague threats, uses the word "unbecoming", and is essentially anything but mature. It's trainwrecky. She's actually engaging in a power-struggle that is bound to end in humiliation. I have never thought O'Connor was a particularly intelligent woman, although I did lover her music when I was young, and I'm quite certain she's nowhere close to as smart as Cyrus is, so I predict this will not end well.

Speaking of "unbecoming", a 47-year-old woman inciting a feud with a 20-year-old is... pathetic.

Celebs probably shouldn't given unsolicited advice to people they don't know if they aren't prepared for the likely response to be "fuck yourself".

Well, this is another example of "pee-stained dentures".  O'Connor feels that her sense of seniority has been violated.

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on October 04, 2013, 07:18:33 PM

LMNO

I don't really know, or care, how this fits in with the thread's theme, but this review is fantastic.

Regardless of its opinion, it's just a great piece of writing.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2013/10/02/we-will-rock-you-miley-cyrus-new-record-is-fucking-horrible/

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 08:57:13 PM
I don't really know, or care, how this fits in with the thread's theme, but this review is fantastic.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2013/10/02/we-will-rock-you-miley-cyrus-new-record-is-fucking-horrible/

:lulz:

That guy is awesome.

Don Coyote

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 08:57:13 PM

:lulz:

, I feel like I need this album.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 09:11:49 PM
"Like a clown farting."

Or perhaps even the final end - at riflepoint, in a just world - ...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on October 04, 2013, 05:50:55 PM
An interesting short  analysis at the boingboing blog

QuoteMiley Cyrus succeeds at a form of celebrity shock behavior that Sinead O'Connor often attempts and fails at. And O'Connor has reason to object beyond mere artistic propriety. Cyrus is transitively self-aware, like the kind of dialogue that Quentin Tarantino reserves for dangerous old men: Miley Cyrus is the music industry's critique of Sinead O'Connor.

Moreover, the younger singer obviously knows what has been and is done to both of them. If you read O'Connor's letter again, you'll see her figure that out as she goes along. But she's too committed to the message to stop. She's talking to herself: a different, younger self.

There is more like that at the article. I thought it was very insightful.

That was a very good analysis of the interactions, in my opinion.

I also think it's likely that part of O'Connor's motivation was to deliberately start drama with Cyrus in order to coattail on her current media spotlight, as O'Connor currently lacks the pull to generate that level of buzz on her own and she has a tour coming up.

That might be granting O'Connor too much credit in the strategic thinking department, though.

I will, however, say that if they colluded to stage this, it's a brilliant publicity stunt. I don't get that vibe, though; I think O'Connor is actually having the meltdown she projected onto Cyrus.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 04, 2013, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 05:54:02 PM

Also, ripping up an image of a religious figure was okay, but making fun of creepers wasn't?

Well, it's, you know, different when she does things like that or like being naked in a music video.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."