OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

I've tried a couple of additional encounter/random NPC's mods, quality varies so dramatically and I'm not even sure which mods are actually bringing the quality to the party.

Looks like a wipe and start again with SKSE + various extras is the way to go. I've seen you mention a civil war mod too, I assume that's worth a look at and actually adds something to that aspect of the game. The base version did a lovely job of making you hate both sides. I'm hoping someone's re-worked the peace treaty conversation as well because, well, you know.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Well, the Civil War Overhaul only restores the content which was originally intended.  The Empire is still corrupt (Black-Briars and Silverbloods, oh my!), the Stormcloaks are still racist, but the actual war is much more epic.  You can lose, for starters.  And taking an enemy hold involves more than just storming a single fort.

Hopefully one day someone will manage to restore Boethiah's Bidding, a follow-up to Boethiah's Calling in which you are to assassinate Jarl Elisif and allow Erikur to become High King instead.  That particular quest puts the Thieves Guild in a pretty interesting light...as I'm sure you know, said Guild backs pretty much every Imperial Jarl except Elisif.  And the special quest for the Thieves Guild involves doing a favour for Erikur.  As far as I'm concerned, the restored Guild is the true power in Skyrim.  Which may explain why vanilla stealth is so insanely overpowered.

I just need a mod to make Maven Black-Briar unessential after the Civil War is over.  I find it amusing she thinks she can still boss the guild around and treat you with contempt, even once you're a god-damned Nightingale.  She'd be top of my hitlist after Mercer Frey, as an example of why you don't fuck with the Thieves Guild, or use its name in vain.

Anyway, check Skyrimgems for a list of lore-friendly, mostly working mods. 

Cain

Also check out the modlist at the bottom of this page

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32597/?

I've tried a lot of them, but not all of them.

Junkenstein

I've just realised the size of the balls on those Khajiiti caravans with these survival mods installed.

Skooma fucked these cats UP. 

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Try Revenge of the Enemies and go find a vampire to play with.  You'll have a newfound respect for the Vigilants of Stendarr and Dawnguard.  In fact, any dragon or vampire overhaul mod will make you feel a surprising amount of sympathy for city guards as well.  When I did a "hardcore" playthrough (deleveled enemy lists, Duel, Revenge of Enemies, Better Vampires, ACE Realistic Fighting, ASIS), I had three Master Vampires basically slaughter the entire Whiterun Guard while I was level 6.  I managed to grab a crossbow and kill one of them, but I had to kite them towards the Companions before they all got killed.

Cain

Also, to make up for my lack of videos, which will be ongoing until at least next week, I'll upload a two-parter of Mass Effect 3, playing on Platinum difficulty.  With randoms.

That we didn't all die is, in fact, a miracle.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

>History major
>Expects accuracy from a disney cartoon

I think he's doing the wrong subject.  He should be studying WAAAAAAAAAAHconomics.

Suu

Anastasia isn't Disney. I remember going to see this when I was a kid, and I liked it even though I knew that the Grand Duchess's skull was found in the pit with the rest of the Romanovs when I was in 6th Grade. This post is just funny as fuck because it exhibits the exact same rage myself and every other history major has to deal with with bad movies and television appear. I want to go full Lindesfarne on the History Channel for Vikings, I mean, I haven't been that full of hate since The Tudors, but I gave Showtime the benefit of the doubt. The Alien Hitler Channel should, in theory, have no excuse. I'm just wondering when the Alien Hitler Viking who owns the pawn shop shows up.

Turn on the other hand, is fucking brilliant, AND NOBODY IS FUCKING WATCHING IT BECAUSE IT'S UP AGAINST GAME OF THRONES.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on May 06, 2014, 03:00:03 PM
Anastasia isn't Disney. I remember going to see this when I was a kid, and I liked it even though I knew that the Grand Duchess's skull was found in the pit with the rest of the Romanovs when I was in 6th Grade. This post is just funny as fuck because it exhibits the exact same rage myself and every other history major has to deal with with bad movies and television appear. I want to go full Lindesfarne on the History Channel for Vikings, I mean, I haven't been that full of hate since The Tudors, but I gave Showtime the benefit of the doubt. The Alien Hitler Channel should, in theory, have no excuse. I'm just wondering when the Alien Hitler Viking who owns the pawn shop shows up.

Turn on the other hand, is fucking brilliant, AND NOBODY IS FUCKING WATCHING IT BECAUSE IT'S UP AGAINST GAME OF THRONES.

I'm not watching either one, because I loathe television the way some people loathe intestinal parasites.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

It's a cartoon.  Whether or not it's Disney, people definitely shouldn't be expecting cartoons to be historically accurate, or act as if whining about the fact makes them superior to the poor, stupid masses who simply don't realise how hoodwinked they are (or, alternatively and more likely, don't care, because they don't take their cues about historical reality from clearly fictional accounts)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2014, 03:10:14 PM
It's a cartoon.  Whether or not it's Disney, people definitely shouldn't be expecting cartoons to be historically accurate, or act as if whining about the fact makes them superior to the poor, stupid masses who simply don't realise how hoodwinked they are (or, alternatively and more likely, don't care, because they don't take their cues about historical reality from clearly fictional accounts)

Once again, Cain delivers.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

tumblr in general seems obsessed with correcting cartoons.  They don't seem to have realised cartoons are not intended to be documentaries.  It's really quite puzzling.

Suu

I posted the link because I thought it was a funnay. Apparently, my idea of a funnay is not the same as yours. My. Bad.

I'm going to go wash 72 yards of linen now, and curse my existence, since we're moving to San Diego that means I have to deal with California.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2014, 03:24:09 PM
tumblr in general seems obsessed with correcting cartoons.  They don't seem to have realised cartoons are not intended to be documentaries.  It's really quite puzzling.

Nothing on tumblr puzzles me, except that Waffle is there, putting up very good photography.  Other than that, it is the worst people on Earth, the whining, privileged shitbags of the Western hemisphere, all smashed into one very smelly can.  There is nothing I have seen written there that has value, and everyone I have seen who does write there should be handed over to the Portland police department (equivalent for you would be Chelsea on a bad day).  For their own good.