News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 12, 2014, 04:34:11 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on May 12, 2014, 02:02:31 AM
One way or another, this will have been my worst semester, academically, in college.

And, I'm actually ok with that. I have a plan B and a plan C. And considering that I've taken a butt load of credits at this point, I doubt it will negatively affect my GPA noteably.

A bed term or two isn't going to kill you; the main things you might want to keep your GPA high for are highly competitive professional programs like nursing or medical imaging, which you aren't going for anyway, honors programs, which you will still qualify for, and scholarships, which generally aren't that selective.

Actually, what you really might want to do is start looking for internship and other research opportunities, as well as chances to tutor or gain leadership experience.

I'm almost sure it was the 3rd letter of recommendation of my volunteer work last summer that got me into grad school. They do look at that, and internships, and honor societies. It's not just grades, it's a package deal, a sales pitch.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Junkenstein

I wish.

Ruined one leg after falling off the toilet, several hours into praying for a swift death. Apparently some kind of virus is doing the rounds. Health farms would buy this shit in spades, I actually feel fucking hollow right now.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

I think I saw a movie like that once.  It was in German, dubbed into Japanese.

Junkenstein

The only shred of dignity left to me is that the various collapses were well timed. It could have been a lot worse.

A LOT worse. Some of the tales coming back from guys on site indicate not all have been as lucky. Or even remotely lucky.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 12, 2014, 12:37:42 PM
I wish.

Ruined one leg after falling off the toilet, several hours into praying for a swift death. Apparently some kind of virus is doing the rounds. Health farms would buy this shit in spades, I actually feel fucking hollow right now.

BAH.  I have been told it wouldn't be considered normal bellowing "TAKE IT ALL!" at the toilet while puking (or just flushing after a particulalry horrible one), but that's how we roll. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on May 11, 2014, 04:03:53 PM
There's wood bees hanging out around my balcony. They're mostly harmless to humans, but they're super curious and not too smart...oh, and can destroy wooden things. So I called maintenance yesterday about them, and they'll be out Monday to take a look and plug up the nests. Easy enough, right?

...LOLNOPE. WE JUST HAD FUCKING YELLOW JACKETS MOVE IN.

There are two kinds of life that could disappear without having any ill-effect on the world's ecology.  Wasps/hornets, and Rand Paul republicans.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All father, Bearman on May 11, 2014, 06:42:26 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 11, 2014, 05:41:29 AM
Quote from: All father, Bearman on May 11, 2014, 01:54:55 AM
She will be 60 in October.

Assuming that's your mom?

Yes.

She looks like the kind of mom that makes a kickass family dinner, but then slaps your face around the side of your head for trying to sneak a taste of the food before it's served.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 12, 2014, 04:39:37 AM
Have you already been accepted to BU? The random thought I just had is that a lot of people don't know that when you're transferring in you want to apply usually at least nine months before you plan on attending, especially if you're going in as a Junior because Junior/Senior registration is often way earlier than you may expect it to be. PSU starts priority registration for Fall classes in a week and a half.

Not yet- It's going to be for Fall 2015, so I still have a bit of time for that.

This summer, I'm taking genetics and helping out a classmate with a cataloging project of urban plant life. I figure I would do internships after this summer. Actually I'm hoping that I might be able to split my time at the hospital between the office and something a little more hands on. Might also be a way for me to get paid more.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO

Bah.  Feeling the irrational melancholy creeping up.  Time to kick it in the nads.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 12, 2014, 02:12:15 PM
Bah.  Feeling the irrational melancholy creeping up.  Time to kick it in the nads.

I shall give you brain damage instead this morning (in about an hour), and you can replace one with the other.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on May 12, 2014, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 12, 2014, 04:39:37 AM
Have you already been accepted to BU? The random thought I just had is that a lot of people don't know that when you're transferring in you want to apply usually at least nine months before you plan on attending, especially if you're going in as a Junior because Junior/Senior registration is often way earlier than you may expect it to be. PSU starts priority registration for Fall classes in a week and a half.

Not yet- It's going to be for Fall 2015, so I still have a bit of time for that.

This summer, I'm taking genetics and helping out a classmate with a cataloging project of urban plant life. I figure I would do internships after this summer. Actually I'm hoping that I might be able to split my time at the hospital between the office and something a little more hands on. Might also be a way for me to get paid more.

Genetics sounds like fun, and the cataloguing of urban plant life is a project you can use on your CV, probably. I don't even know when I'll get to take genetics. It's on my list, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."