News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 13, 2014, 05:06:04 PM
So far my hunt for papers on the relationship between entropy and emergence has turned up three, one of which sort of vaguely addresses my interests.

Are any of those by Chris C. King?  I'm pretty sure he's written a couple of papers on that topic, or closely related ones.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Looks like quite a few, based on my Listmania search on Amazon. :p But none seem to relate emergence to entropy, which is weird to me because entropy is obviously a necessary condition for emergence.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 13, 2014, 05:08:23 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 13, 2014, 05:06:04 PM
So far my hunt for papers on the relationship between entropy and emergence has turned up three, one of which sort of vaguely addresses my interests.

Are any of those by Chris C. King?  I'm pretty sure he's written a couple of papers on that topic, or closely related ones.

Not that I recall... the one that's most relevant is by Bernard Testa.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Searching for papers by Chris C. King now, thanks for the lead!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Suu

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 13, 2014, 04:29:39 PM
Quote from: Sita on May 13, 2014, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: The Suu on May 13, 2014, 03:08:27 PM
My dad suggested to my mom that they buy hurricane supplies early this year.

He NEVER does that. In the 20+ years of Florida living, we only ever bought hurricane shit last minute when it actually looked like we were going to get hit, and even still, Pinellas County (the thumb that makes Tampa Bay) it's not typically a target for direct hits, except for in 2004, when the entire state was a direct hit, 3 times, in a row.

Needless to say, mom is a bit spooked, but she's obliging.

I'm glad I'm not really in the path of a storm anymore. We can get nasty flybys here, but the odds of something turning into the NH/ME coast is low. And I no longer need to worry about the Providence hurricane barrier failing.
Could it be because they just made a tax free holiday for hurricane supplies? Starting May 31 and lasting for 9 days.
I know my parents are going to be buying a bit earlier than usual because of it.

Don't be reasonable.

He normally doesn't even care that much.

It's usually the typical Florida, "Welp, looks like we're gonna get hit. Drain the pool, get some water and fill the tub with ice. Suu, you and your brother get the canoe in the carport,  that way if it floods again, you guys can do runs to the store."

Besides, everyone knows Pinellas Peninsula is protected by Seminole magic.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 13, 2014, 06:05:01 PM
I found this, which does not strike me as, ah, very academically rigorous: http://www.amazon.com/Sexual-Paradox-Complementarity-Reproductive-Emergence/dp/141165532X/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

No, it doesn't.

The Chris King I was thinking of wrote papers on fractals and emergence in biology from a mathematical perspective.  It might be the same one...I wouldn't be surprised to discover he'd gone crazy.  Maths professors are always the worst.  ALWAYS.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: LuciferX on May 13, 2014, 07:41:53 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on May 13, 2014, 01:34:21 AM
Today during a therapy session, i caused my counselor to ask, with a straight face, the question, " But is going to a music show at a coffeshop as risky as summoning a horde of the undead?"

he immediately followed up with, "That is the weirdest question I have ever asked."

I like therapy. :D

:lulz: Say, Doc., what do you know about countertransference ... :lulz:
The really crazy part is that was 100% organic.  I was legitimately not trying to troll my counselor,  this is just the kind of shit that tends to come up in my sessions.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

minuspace

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on May 13, 2014, 08:36:25 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 13, 2014, 07:41:53 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on May 13, 2014, 01:34:21 AM
Today during a therapy session, i caused my counselor to ask, with a straight face, the question, " But is going to a music show at a coffeshop as risky as summoning a horde of the undead?"

he immediately followed up with, "That is the weirdest question I have ever asked."

I like therapy. :D

:lulz: Say, Doc., what do you know about countertransference ... :lulz:
The really crazy part is that was 100% organic.  I was legitimately not trying to troll my counselor,  this is just the kind of shit that tends to come up in my sessions.
"organic" :lulz: it's awesome that they can keep an open mind.  Usually, as soon as things get interesting, they're all :omg:

Ben Shapiro

Listened to "I know the guy who invented rock & roll" by the Frost Heaves while doing cardio tonight about three times. Feel so cash right now.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

So, some Safety Nazi in HR has decided to outlaw e-cigs in offices.  And our cheese-sucking Safety Officer finds this (it was published in an obscure manner), and decides to announce it in the staff meeting, making it un-ignorable (which was my boss's intent).  He sat there looking all pleased with himself, completely oblivious to the raw hatred on Lilly's face (his supervisor), because she hasn't had to smell smoke on peoples' clothes in almost a year, and that smell makes her ill.

Between this and his attempt to fuck me over 2 weeks ago, I am disappointed.  I thought we finally had an SO that was worth a shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

It's a problem with the occupation. Most of the ones I've dealt with have mainly been concerned with ensuring their continued employment so they'll tout any new reg or change as a huge deal. The ones that are sensible and reasonable tend to find good employment which leaves them free from the woes of dealing with schmucks like us.

Keep an eye on the little bastard. If he's this ignorant of office politics someone will see him doing something wrong sooner or later and they'll be inclined to say so. Loudly and publicly.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
So, some Safety Nazi in HR has decided to outlaw e-cigs in offices.  And our cheese-sucking Safety Officer finds this (it was published in an obscure manner), and decides to announce it in the staff meeting, making it un-ignorable (which was my boss's intent).  He sat there looking all pleased with himself, completely oblivious to the raw hatred on Lilly's face (his supervisor), because she hasn't had to smell smoke on peoples' clothes in almost a year, and that smell makes her ill.

Between this and his attempt to fuck me over 2 weeks ago, I am disappointed.  I thought we finally had an SO that was worth a shit.

Shit, that blows. When you were here in March you were telling me how much of a difference the e-cig has made for you.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on May 14, 2014, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2014, 03:42:07 PM

Shit, that blows. When you were here in March you were telling me how much of a difference the e-cig has made for you.

It's not like I have any intention of complying.  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.