News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2014, 03:55:47 AM
Today I found out that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a child molester/rapist and that she and her husband got their rocks off by diddling kids when they weren't writing books or founding the SCA or starting covens or whatever.

I never got into her work much, but she was a big influence on a lot of my pagan friends and she was the mentor to some authors I really enjoy. So. Kinda vomiting in my mouth, here. I lack the ability to separate art from artist in the case of child abuse.

I thought about making a separate post about this since it's sort of messing with my head and there's all sorts of wonderful discussions to be had about this shitstorm. But I kinda wanna curl up in my closet and not come out, instead.

Not entirely sure why, except that it's Summer.

What
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Today I found out that Marion Zimmer Bradley was a child molester/rapist and that she and her husband got their rocks off by diddling kids when they weren't writing books or founding the SCA or starting covens or whatever.

I never got into her work much, but she was a big influence on a lot of my pagan friends and she was the mentor to some authors I really enjoy. So. Kinda vomiting in my mouth, here. I lack the ability to separate art from artist in the case of child abuse.

I thought about making a separate post about this since it's sort of messing with my head and there's all sorts of wonderful discussions to be had about this shitstorm. But I kinda wanna curl up in my closet and not come out, instead.

Start the thread.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: WikipediaBradley and Breen separated in 1979 but remained married, and continued a business relationship and lived on the same street for over a decade. They officially divorced on May 9, 1990, the year Breen was arrested on child molestation charges of a 12 year old boy.[2] She had edited Breen's book Greek Love, which was dedicated to her, and in 1965 had contributed an article, "Feminine Equivalents of Greek Love in Modern Literature", to Breen's journal The International Journal of Greek Love.[3][4] She had known about Breen's sexual interests and previously accepted his sexual abuse of a 14 year old boy.

WHAT.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 23, 2014, 04:16:11 AM
Quote from: WikipediaBradley and Breen separated in 1979 but remained married, and continued a business relationship and lived on the same street for over a decade. They officially divorced on May 9, 1990, the year Breen was arrested on child molestation charges of a 12 year old boy.[2] She had edited Breen's book Greek Love, which was dedicated to her, and in 1965 had contributed an article, "Feminine Equivalents of Greek Love in Modern Literature", to Breen's journal The International Journal of Greek Love.[3][4] She had known about Breen's sexual interests and previously accepted his sexual abuse of a 14 year old boy.

WHAT.

Yeah. I read a deposition she gave and the attorney asks her about five or six other kids and why she never reported it to the police or believed her daughter when the girl told MZB that Breen was doing all this shit. And that doesn't even cover what MZB did, herself.

:vom:
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2014, 04:36:11 AM

WHAT.

Yeah. I read a deposition she gave and the attorney asks her about five or six other kids and why she never reported it to the police or believed her daughter when the girl told MZB that Breen was doing all this shit. And that doesn't even cover what MZB did, herself.

I see.

I really have nothing else to say until more comes out.

I also hate shit like this, because my immediate reaction is to reject all art from artist. Which is wrong. The art stands on its own propriety.

I do recall, however, the rampant accounts of sexual abuse, ranging from rape to religiously sanctioned incest (which was also woman priestess raping her brother under false pretext), in Mists of Avalon.

Actually the more I think about the story, the less I am surprised....

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 23, 2014, 04:54:51 AM

WHAT.

I see.

I also hate shit like this, because my immediate reaction is to reject all art from artist. Which is wrong. The art stands on its own propriety.

I do recall, however, the rampant accounts of sexual abuse, ranging from rape to religiously sanctioned incest (which was also woman priestess raping her brother under false pretext), in Mists of Avalon.

I don't think art stands on its own in child abuse cases. That can make me a horrible person, I don't care.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2014, 05:16:22 AM

WHAT.

I see.

I don't think art stands on its own in child abuse cases. That can make me a horrible person, I don't care.

The more I'm recalling Mists of Avalon, the more I'm thinking it's an academic point.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's pretty fucking creepy. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, for myself personally I have a hard time enjoying art when it is associated with really awful things (Woody Allen movies come to mind).

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

I finally figured out the Ignore function and by god it is rad.

Junkenstein

I'm refusing to use it out of a misguided display of empathy with the mods. I can confirm that you are missing nothing of value. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 23, 2014, 05:16:22 AM

WHAT.

I see.

Agreed, beyond a certain point hurting the bad person is a sufficient goal for many acts, including hating their art. Not very effective, but that is beside the point.

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 23, 2014, 12:10:18 PM
It is, isn't it!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

The only thing MZB did for the SCA was give it their name when she called to book space in a public park for an event. They didn't have a name for their group, and she came up with it off the cuff. That's her claim to fame. The group itself was founded in Diana Listmaker's backyard in Berkeley. They were essentially a bunch of hippie college students who were obsessed with Tolkien.

MZB was aware of Walter Breen's behavior, but I don't believe anything was ever found that stated she actually engaged in it with him, but she did always seem to support him for some reason. The situation is very bizarre. I've never actually gotten into her writing, kinda glad I didn't now.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, I seemed to have pulled my left groin muscle during my workouts last week. If you ever wanted to simultaneously ruin your athletic progress and sex life at the same time, have I got an injury for you!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 23, 2014, 12:10:18 PM

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 23, 2014, 12:20:16 PM
I'm refusing to use it out of a misguided display of empathy with the mods. I can confirm that you are missing nothing of value.

Might not be too much a problem.  Inge/UB seems to be having a moment, today (or, rather, yesterday).  As such, I am merely venting all of her posts into her unlimited thread.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

There's a word for what We're do.

We call it CYBORG PRIDE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.