News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Got called into work early and staying late, also picking up both days this weekend. I'm still pretty lit. I'm going to try and cool my jets with work. I will if nothing else get some extra cash this way. I'll check in here as I can, but not really going to likely get any creative work done for a bit. I have a few too many plates spinning. When I know what's what with my work life and have cooled off about some things I'll be back good as new.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2015, 07:54:54 PM
Snakes are easily startled by shouting loudly at them to stop what they are doing, right now.

:lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Meunster

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2015, 07:55:13 PM
Note: may also work on 4channers.

I'll have to try it.  :lulz:

Also, someone is bringing a tank and a cannon to this meet up.
Poe's law ;)

Q. G. Pennyworth

Look up the symptoms of a serious skin infection and refresh your first aid training. Pack a kit that includes at least one ace bandage, gauze, medical tape and alcohol wipes. Never apply a tourniquet unless the limb is already trash.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Also, being in charge of article titles is sometimes the best job.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

So.  My dad has skin cancer.

His prognosis is excellent, but still.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

I've cooled down and, as is my right by contract, left early since they called me in early. Still going to work through the weekend, but I know it's critical to pace myself. I DO have a rant simmering in my guts that I have to get out real soon, but got some friends to chill with first. I WILL keep working on creative projects. I'm not going to let a silly thing like a shitty article steal my happy. That shit is mine and I'm taking it back!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 16, 2015, 01:09:33 AM

Yeah.. there's a distinctive chill that goes with any news of threatening illness in a parent. I've felt it every time I even hear my dad has a cold since the lymphoma. Hang in there sir. Hope the best!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 16, 2015, 05:49:34 AM
FUCK. CANCER.

Yeah, that's all I got. Sorry, Rog.

Pretty sure he's gonna be okay.  He's still fairly young (72), it's not an aggressive cancer (and it's early), and he can afford treatment.

But this is what happens in our family if you dodge early death by heart attack.  At about age 75 (more or less) all your cells rebel and it's one cancer after another. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 16, 2015, 01:13:39 AM

Yeah.. there's a distinctive chill that goes with any news of threatening illness in a parent. I've felt it every time I even hear my dad has a cold since the lymphoma. Hang in there sir. Hope the best!

Thanks, TWJ.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Glad it's the kind of cancer with nads that can be kicked.

Cain

Cain

Welp.

Someone entered my bedroom while I was sleeping today.  Naturally, I have sent a very angry email to my boss and his boss.

I've also explained, in not so subtle terms, that 1) I research scary people for a living and 2) I also work as a journalist, and any unauthorized access to my computer could have serious fucking consequences.

We shall see how they respond, though I am not holding my breath on any serious response.