News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Rev Roger sermon #3...get yer barf-bags, folks!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 29, 2003, 03:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lord Trout

Well, shit.

Lister

Word

Lister's 12 step program to translate sermons for other continents
Chapter 1.4 : America to Europe

Step 1: Replace "America" and "the american lifestyle" with "Europe" and "the european lifestyle"  
Step 2 to 4: get drunk
Step 5: have a hot-dog.  In a bun if it's friday.
Step 6 to 9: get drunker
Step 10: NANG!
Step 11: get drunkst
Step 12: go bowling
When I was a little man
Playdough came in a little can
I was Star Wars' biggest fan
Now I'm stuck without a plan
GI Joe was an action man
Shaggy drove the mystery van
Devo was my favorite band
Take me back to my happy land

Velvet Jesus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
tell me, friends, when was the last time you had an original thought?  

Here is another problem, though... how do you even know when you are having  an original thought?  Suppose I grew up in Amish country, lived in the same farmhouse my whole life and saw the same people every day...if I started thinking really wacky things (compared to what I was taught), I could be fairly certain that it was MY OWN psychosis, and no one else's influence.

But we are constantly bombarded by information--either through TV, movies, the Internet, traveling to other places, changing jobs; life in general.  These experiences are constantly shaping and influencing our minds, whether we like it or not.  Is it really possible to have our "own" thoughts?  Is this an original thought?  Probably not ... I wouldn't be surprised if this creeping unease manifested in my subconscious due to something I read/heard somewhere.  

Or am I just being paranoid?   :shock: Discuss.  :shock:
"He seems sincere, despite his halting speech patterns and the possible lack of vowels in his name."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Velvet JesusOr am I just being paranoid?   :shock: Discuss.  :shock:

There is no longer any such thing as paranoia.  It simply does not exist.

As for whether your thoughts are your own, the INCEPTION of an idea is irrelevant.  You should be able to discard useless/wrong ideas by critical thinking, and be left with that which benefits you.

After all, nobody asks you to be a creative GENIUS, just to think for yourself.

Whattya think this is, MENSA?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Slarti

wow, Reverend Roger, i just realized- you've only been here ten days, and you have 72 posts already... i only have like thirty...  :oops:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slartibartfastwow, Reverend Roger, i just realized- you've only been here ten days, and you have 72 posts already... i only have like thirty...  :oops:

Am I talking too much?

The first thing I saw when I arrived at this board was a complaint that it was slow.

Slarti

I never said it was a bad thing... pretty soon you'll have more posts than anyone...

anyway, it's good that you're posting so much, your sermons are amazing

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SlartibartfastI never said it was a bad thing... pretty soon you'll have more posts than anyone...

anyway, it's good that you're posting so much, your sermons are amazing

(blush)

Slarti

btw, what does your avatar mean? What do the letters say?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slartibartfastbtw, what does your avatar mean? What do the letters say?

They say, "Hi!  I'm going to kick your ass...and get away with it!"

The picture isn't very clear at that size, but it is a policeman waving a pistol.

Velvet Jesus

"He seems sincere, despite his halting speech patterns and the possible lack of vowels in his name."

Spoon E. Gee

say what now??? you want to be top poster??? you have to fight me and zenji for the title! (damn zenji and his haiku's... hehe)...

actually yer prolly gonna have the title at this rate... I been here forever and this is all I got....
damn my sig is still out of date....

Lord Trout

I gave up on keeping up with y'all long ago... Then again, I post regularly to four separate message boards, so I'm getting stretched a little thin these days.
Well, shit.

Spoon E. Gee

traitor!!

I've always hated forums myself.... this is the only one I'm on..... I miss the old days of dialing up to BBS's.... damn I'm old school.... *hugs my old 800 baud modem*
damn my sig is still out of date....