This is a live combat tournament game based on collectible playing cards. Each card represents an action that can be performed during combat. The game can be played as a duel or as a team versus team tournament. It must be played in a space that people can move around.
Players build a deck with a combination of warrior, mage, and rogue cards.
The goal is to create a tactical, viscerally engaging live action combat system which does not rely on boffer weapons.
Gameplay is divided into rounds. A round has three phases:
- Draw Phase: Everybody draws until they have 5 cards in their hand.
- Play Phase: Players move around the environment in real-time. Everybody is allowed to play one Major Action card per play phase. Generally, playing a Major Action card locks you into your current position. Minor Action cards have other effects and can be played at different times.
- Discard Phase: Everybody discards any cards they no longer want.
One player is designated as the "caller". He or she is responsible for announcing the beginning of each phase. The caller will not announce the Discard phase until he is sure everybody has played their Major action. He may ask "Everybody ready?" as necessary.
How to Play a Card
- Say "Target <opponent name>" This causes both you and your opponent to freeze until the card is resolved.
- Hold up the card and read its keywords out loud. Explain the effects of the card.
- Your opponent may play reactions cards. The original card is not considered "resolved" until all subsequent reactions have played out.
You may target somebody who is currently frozen, but your action does not occur until the sequence the target is engaged in is resolved.
- Lock - you cannot move until the next play phase
- Sword Swing - Major - Melee - Weapon - Lock self. Lock target and deal 1 damage.
- Parry - Minor - Reaction - Trigger: you are hit by a weapon card. Effect: cancel that card.
- Rally Point - Major - Put this card on a flat surface. Once per round, you may touch this card to gain a point of Fury. You cannot have more fury than there are Rally points in play. Any unspent fury disappears at the end of the play phase.
- Magic Missile - Major - Ranged - Lock self. Deal 1 damage.
- Shield - Minor - Reaction - Trigger:
- Arcane Nexus - Major - Put this card on a flat surface. Once per round, you may touch this card to gain a point of Mana. You cannot have more fury than there are Arcane Nexuses in play. Any unspent mana disappears at the end of the play phase.
- Opportunity Shot - Major - Melee - Lock self. Deal 2 damage to a locked target.
- Evade - Minor - Reaction - Trigger: you are targeted by a ranged attack. Effect: you may take 3 steps, even if you are locked. If you have broken line-of-sight, the triggering attack messes.
- Hiding Spot - Major - Put this card on a flat surface. Once per round, you may touch this card to gain the Stealth status.