News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Find out what YOU can do to help!

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, November 03, 2005, 11:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

Sitting at lunch today, my little eye espied a flyer folded and stapled into that clever triangular shape so that it would stand up and be extra-visible.  IT was also brightly colored.  So I briefly interrupted my face-stuffing (I only had a couple minutes as I had tarried a bit too long) and picked it up.  

The flyer was full of the typical outrage one finds on liberal college campuses.  The School of Americas has been training assassins to mess with the politics of latin america since 1946!!  Here are some atrocities to get excited about!  It's time to put a stop to the madness!!  I snorted and rolled my eyes, then paused.  

It's a perfectly good cause.  Why am I being so cynical?  Or is it lazy?  Am I in denial?  Do I just not care about anything not directly connected to me?  Well, yes.  But also, I've seen it before.  Somebody decides to get all up in arms about something, a group is formed, flyers are made, a meeting is had--then, nothing.  It's a fad cause.  Just like Taco Bell and gender neutral bathrooms last year, and Coca-Cola and now the SOA this year.  Nothing really gets done, just paper and time is wasted.  

Oh, and a bunch of priveleged upper middle class white kids get to feel better about themselves.  Woooh.  Do you know what they're advocating?  "Direct non-violent action".  What in twelve fucks is that?  They want to organize a protest "in November".  Well I've got news for you:  it's already November.  It's too god damn late to go to Washington.  Lots of plans, lots of yelling on flyers--then, nothing.  Within a month it will be something else.

Same god damn time, same god damn station.  Over and over again.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

fluffy

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

As we all know what you have to do because....
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Bella

Infiltration is the answer.
First, you infiltrate their little group and then you gently steer them in whichever dirction you find the most amusing.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomInfiltration is the answer.
First, you infiltrate their little group and then you gently steer them in whichever dirction you find the most amusing.

Or you do the standard divide them up and watch them bicker and fight routine.

hooplala

Quote from: Rabid Badger of GodSitting at lunch today, my little eye espied a flyer folded and stapled into that clever triangular shape so that it would stand up and be extra-visible.  IT was also brightly colored.  So I briefly interrupted my face-stuffing (I only had a couple minutes as I had tarried a bit too long) and picked it up.  

The flyer was full of the typical outrage one finds on liberal college campuses.  The School of Americas has been training assassins to mess with the politics of latin america since 1946!!  Here are some atrocities to get excited about!  It's time to put a stop to the madness!!  I snorted and rolled my eyes, then paused.  

It's a perfectly good cause.  Why am I being so cynical?  Or is it lazy?  Am I in denial?  Do I just not care about anything not directly connected to me?  Well, yes.  But also, I've seen it before.  Somebody decides to get all up in arms about something, a group is formed, flyers are made, a meeting is had--then, nothing.  It's a fad cause.  Just like Taco Bell and gender neutral bathrooms last year, and Coca-Cola and now the SOA this year.  Nothing really gets done, just paper and time is wasted.  

Oh, and a bunch of priveleged upper middle class white kids get to feel better about themselves.  Woooh.  Do you know what they're advocating?  "Direct non-violent action".  What in twelve fucks is that?  They want to organize a protest "in November".  Well I've got news for you:  it's already November.  It's too god damn late to go to Washington.  Lots of plans, lots of yelling on flyers--then, nothing.  Within a month it will be something else.

Same god damn time, same god damn station.  Over and over again.

So, what's your point?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: She Who Lurks Beyond, Oracle of DoomInfiltration is the answer.

This is correct.  However, I cant explain why for another month at least.

Donkeyotay

Actually..there is a group in Rockford..'The Rockford Peace and Justice Action Committee' that sends a few volunteers down South to whatever military base the school is at, Fort Bening I think, to protest SOA and have vigils and things like that...They pay for the travel expenses and all that...And SOA is pretty fucked up...They basically train foregin soldiers to do the US's dirty work...Massacring innocents and putting down resistors and freedom fighters..The type of stuff that would make the US look really bad if it were US soldiers doing it...They changed the name of it a few years ago cuz it started to get more attention and what not but, its still basically the same program with a different name

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BADGE OF HONOR

Oh, I understand that it's a worthy cause--they all are--it's just that nothing but pissing and moaning happens.  The only kind of action that's actually happened in my three years here is when some people went to protest with that Sheehan lady.  Their idea of activism is to stir outrage for a couple months.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

hooplala

So what's your idea of activism?

I'm not saying they're achieving anything, but what are you doing?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Baron von HooplaSo what's your idea of activism?

Rough Sex is always a good start.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Baron von HooplaSo what's your idea of activism?

smokin weed, drinkig beers adn aplaying video games in my mom's basement will change teh world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Hell is other people.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

LMNO