News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Sublime reversals

Started by Cain, March 21, 2009, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I have noticed three interesting things about being unemployed for more than a few weeks.

The first is that people think you have no options.  Not just few, but absolutely none, and therefore whatever shitty offering they present to you is one you absolutely must take, simply because you have nothing else feasible to do.  The second is the assumption you are an idiot.  A curious Victorian moralistic hangover means that people with employment generally tend to seek a way to prove that they are somehow better than you, especially if your CV is more impressive than theirs.  Even if it flies in the face of all obvious evidence, you will be treated like a retard, and talked down to like a five year old child.  The final thing is that many people are incapable of resisting the temptation to rub your nose in it about your situation, by making sure they use every chance to get in a dig about on or other of the above two.

I had a little job interview, just yesterday.  An advert in the paper suggested temporary factory work, which was fine by me.  Companies wont advertise for less than two weeks work, normally, and it would only take three weeks to get my bank account balanced again.  And given the times advertised for, it could only be one company, since only one in this town has shifts at that time.  Those guys are very good employers, and I cannot say a bad word about them, they have excellent pay and conditions and it would be a pleasure to work for them again, even temporarily.

However, the employment wasn't direct.  I rang the number and discovered the job was being advertised on behalf of a recruitment agency.  Well, alright then.  I spoke with the guy on the phone, he asked some basic questions, my recent employment, my skills and education, what I was looking for and then told me I should come down to their office tomorrow and register with them and get the job details.  I agreed.  Recruitment agencies are, in my experience, more of a nusciance than an aid, but like I said, I knew the job they were advertising, even if they were playing coy.  It would be worth it, for the job in question (I also had some business in that particular town, but that is a story for another day).

So I turned up on Friday at their exceptionally pokey offices on the outskirts of this town, on their industrial estate.  Meet and greet with the receptionist, asked to fill in forms about bank details, previous employers etc.  Easy.  I can do that stuff in my sleep.  Then I was invited in, to talk over the job details with the man I had spoken with on the phone.  He then proceeded to do the above song and dance as described in the second paragraph, under the guise of "explaining how the company works".  Then, without ever directly referencing the job once, he handed me the contract to sign.

I don't know about you, but to me, anyone who makes you sign a contract without detailing the job first, is a scumbag.  I don't care who they are or what they are offering.  There were no details concerning this particular job in the contract itself either, only legal terms laying out my rights, amount of leave I get, complaints procedure and so on and so forth.  Even as tired as I was, I skimmed past all that bullshit, knowing that only one thing truly mattered when someone was trying to make you sign a very open ended document.  And I found it, under the contract termination conditions and liabilities section.  I could terminate the contract at any time with no liability.  Perfect.  I was now content to sign this otherwise worthless piece of paper.  I also noted, with some displeasure, that the pay I would recieve by working for this company was actually much less than many local companies paid.  At least £200/month less, so not a small amount.

Then, once that was done, the man from the company deigned to tell me the job I was applying for was not only no longer available, but had been filled out "a few days ago".  Since I had rung him yesterday, that meant he knew the positions had been filled, but had invited me there anyway, in order to get me signed up with the company and have me as another of his temp worker fllunkies.  I was angry, annoyed at being used, at being denied a job I would have really enjoyed and wasting a couple of hours for no good reason, except to be made the puppet of another nasty little jerk.

I kept this all off my face of course, and concluded my business, then left with great haste.  But as I walked back iinto town, another thing occured to me....this man, and his company, were idiots.

He had spent a good deal of time explaining how the company works, about how they would "check up" (read: harass) me and request to know what jobs I was applying for (read: demand to know my movements).  This all relates back to point one, of course, persuading me I have no options except those available through him and the company, by making me feel I had no control even in my personal life and job applications.  But, like many jerks with too little imagination and an impressive title to throw around, but few people to throw it around at, he was sadly misguided, both in telling me this and in his ideas about the sort of control he had over me.

You see, despite what the contract says, I'm not working for him, he's working for me.  He's the one who will be rushing around, finding jobs and then getting in contact to let me know what is going on.  And while I had no interest in working for him, or his shitty wages, I had no problems whatsoever in putting in my own application.  Especially since, at one point or another, I have worked for every major employer in this town, and if not directly for them, then for a competitor in the same field.  Undercutting his business using his own company's structure was appealing.   And, if that doesn't work out as well as I hoped, there is always the chance to make his company look incompetent.  Recieving independent applications for a job, and one from the recruitment company, both with the details of the same person, would look pretty bad, after all, especially if it happened a few times.

Titles and hierarchy mean nothing.  The real world is more like biology than a pyramid diagram.  It just so happens that I'm a virus.  A brilliant virus, who wont take your shit.  Now, while you run around trying to find me work (which you won't benefit from), I'm going to sit back and relax.  And maybe even have a coffee.

Have fun being my bitch for the next couple of months.

Faust

The guilt culture in general in regards to jobs has always baffled me. My only experience with a recruitment agency is was when I showed up once to see what it was about.
They keep their clients waiting for large amounts of time (no appointment times given to them, first come first serve), they were all sitting with this absolute look of misery on their faces. I got the job in the supermarket some time that week so I never went back. You were able to see the attack on your confidence, most people wont spot whats going on and they will feel shit because of it. That's as bad as assault in my opinion.

The mentality in ireland towards the unemployed seems very similar to what you are describing and it sickens me. And it goes all the way to the top. Which means the governments view on structuring the welfare system and how to aid the person is going to be biased.
Now there is Fas here, so any unemployed person can register for training in various fields while claiming unemployment benefit, but its not widely publicised as an option.
I like Greece's view; There is no unemployment benefit (except for those physically incapable of work).
However there is the minimum standard of living allowance. Basically anyone who adds to an areas culture can claim it, street artists can claim it, singers can claim, flower sellers, even people selling matchsticks or lollipops can claim.
Its used to make sure that people are always active and don't get that hopeless Your-Our-Of-Luck feeling that seems to be forced upon people here in ireland.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cait M. R.

I notice the first bit, where people want you to feel like shit if you don't have a job. It's worse still if you're working on self-employment, especially in an industry such as the video game industry. I hear all the time: "you'll never make it," "pipe dream," "damn you're stupid." I point out fellows like Tarn Adams, or Nifflas, who live on donations from their fans -- and most of the games I'm aiming to make would be commercial quality, and therefore commercial priced. Universally, the response is "but you aren't them," followed by, "and there's no guarantee your games will be good." Apparently, because I'm only 20 years old and haven't gone to college for this shit, creativity and sheer force of will are incapable of pulling me through. Oh, and everything I come up with sucks.

Contrast my employed fellows on TIGSource, who are always cheered on by their friends and family. Fucking christ.

Sorry about the minor thread hi-jacking. I normally try hard to avoid doing that, to the point of completely avoiding posting at all in some threads. But this resonated with me quite strongly.

Faust

Um erin, the games industry employs off portfolio, the ONLY way to get in there is to create stuff that you can present, so keep with it if that's what you want to do.
Even if the projects are not a commercial success they will stand to you.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cait M. R.

Well aware of this. Still, I'd prefer to be an independent developer. I know several ex-Blizzard/Ubisoft/EA-slaves, and it sounds like the commercial industry is the last place I'd want to be. Plus I know others who can help with the difficult stuff, like (if I ever decide to) incorporating.

Triple Zero

Ha Cain, as soon as I read the employment wasnt direct and they were giving you shit, I thought "why dont you apply directly then, since you know the company"--good to read that this was indeed what you did :-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on March 21, 2009, 12:58:41 PM
I got the job in the supermarket some time that week so I never went back. You were able to see the attack on your confidence, most people wont spot whats going on and they will feel shit because of it. That's as bad as assault in my opinion.

Yeah.  I am well acquainted with that sort of mindset and I do feel bad for people who have to rely on these companies.

QuoteI like Greece's view; There is no unemployment benefit (except for those physically incapable of work).
However there is the minimum standard of living allowance. Basically anyone who adds to an areas culture can claim it, street artists can claim it, singers can claim, flower sellers, even people selling matchsticks or lollipops can claim.
Its used to make sure that people are always active and don't get that hopeless Your-Our-Of-Luck feeling that seems to be forced upon people here in ireland.

Now that is interesting.  And a very good idea, at least on the brief examination I have given it.  I know if I could get money from it, I'd consider doing more artistic stuff.  Street theatre, pranks and actual works of visual art are something I haven't had much time for, since I am required to search for employment as part of my benefits agreement.

I may actually be in Greece this summer, too.  Especially if I can get my passport sorted out.  Might be worth looking into that in more detail.

Cain

Quote from: Erin Gardien on March 21, 2009, 01:09:31 PM
I notice the first bit, where people want you to feel like shit if you don't have a job. It's worse still if you're working on self-employment, especially in an industry such as the video game industry. I hear all the time: "you'll never make it," "pipe dream," "damn you're stupid." I point out fellows like Tarn Adams, or Nifflas, who live on donations from their fans -- and most of the games I'm aiming to make would be commercial quality, and therefore commercial priced. Universally, the response is "but you aren't them," followed by, "and there's no guarantee your games will be good." Apparently, because I'm only 20 years old and haven't gone to college for this shit, creativity and sheer force of will are incapable of pulling me through. Oh, and everything I come up with sucks.

Contrast my employed fellows on TIGSource, who are always cheered on by their friends and family. Fucking christ.

Sorry about the minor thread hi-jacking. I normally try hard to avoid doing that, to the point of completely avoiding posting at all in some threads. But this resonated with me quite strongly.

I'm not well acquainted with the gaming industry, but I have heard those sort of sentiments before in other fields.

I obviously haven't seen any of your work, that I know of, but if you are talented and you do know what you are doing, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to make money off donations and commecial sales - especially if you know how to market yourself and gain a reputation within that community.

Because my particular skill is unfortunately not something that can result in a product, I am a little more restricted.  I do keep a blog where I make observations pertinent to my field, but since it is heavily American dominated, and equally heavily dominated by either paid bloggers, professors or policy experts (who have access and experience I don't), I am not making much headway.  Yet.  Still, come the summer, especially if I get to spend it in Greece, I should have a lot more time to devote to trying to make a name for myself.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 21, 2009, 06:49:56 PM
Ha Cain, as soon as I read the employment wasnt direct and they were giving you shit, I thought "why dont you apply directly then, since you know the company"--good to read that this was indeed what you did :-)

Yeah.  My interviewer really screwed up when he reminded me that I was well known among most of the local employers due to previous years of work.  Protip: when trying to batter someone's ego, don't let compliments like that slip out.

Cait M. R.

Mostly the problems come from the people in my family and community, people who think that because they never got past burger-flipping, anyone hoping to make a living with an occupation that they GOD-FORBID ACTUALLY ENJOY is doomed to failure.

...I think it might be time for me to write a full rant on this subject so I don't eat your topic. Sorry!

Cain

Put it here if you want.  This thread was essentially me gloating at the expense of an idiot anyway, its not going to go anywhere special.

My family seem to believe I should spend 22 hours a day making job applications, despite the fact I cannot even get a job at a box making factory, currently.  Not through lack of trying, simply because this area is now dead in the water (150% increase in unemployment in 6 months) and I don't have the money to get out.

That I'm an Australian and my degree dealt with lots of security issues, and I'm in the UK, doesn't help either.  No clearance for the foreigner. :sad:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Erin Gardien on March 21, 2009, 01:09:31 PM

Odds are, you WILL fail.  But maybe not.  And maybe if you give up on your dream, you'll find yourself a nice little job, get married, pump out a kid or two, live a nice stable life, and feel like a chickenshit failure the whole time because you never even tried.

Life isn't about safety (at least until you have kids).  Life is about living - or trying to live - your dreams, because you only get one chance, one time around the block, no matter what the fucking Buddhists say.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 10:32:01 AM
Put it here if you want.  This thread was essentially me gloating at the expense of an idiot anyway, its not going to go anywhere special.

My family seem to believe I should spend 22 hours a day making job applications, despite the fact I cannot even get a job at a box making factory, currently.  Not through lack of trying, simply because this area is now dead in the water (150% increase in unemployment in 6 months) and I don't have the money to get out.

That I'm an Australian and my degree dealt with lots of security issues, and I'm in the UK, doesn't help either.  No clearance for the foreigner. :sad:

You can't get back to Australia?  I thought most nations had ways to get their citizens out of third-world shitholes like the one you currently live in.  Can't the consulate help?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

The Australian High Consulate seems to be on holiday - probably shooting another scene for Harry Potter films there or something.  Plus I am looking into teacher training.  The leftovers from the loans and grants alone should get me whereever I want to go in the world, and is considerably cheaper than the Australian equivalent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2009, 12:03:28 PM
The Australian High Consulate seems to be on holiday - probably shooting another scene for Harry Potter films there or something.  Plus I am looking into teacher training.  The leftovers from the loans and grants alone should get me whereever I want to go in the world, and is considerably cheaper than the Australian equivalent.

Then you should bugger off to teach in Peru or Argentina, and let the loans go hang.