News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

OK, I don't want to sound like a crackpot, but...

Started by East Coast Hustle, June 24, 2012, 03:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I just saw something in the sky that I absolutely cannot explain. A large bright red sort of crescent-shaped light off to the northwest that moved up and down in the sky for several minutes, getting brighter and then dimmer before it eventually disappeared. And the up and down motion was not in sync with the up and down motion of the ship. Whatever it was, it was fucking weird and I've definitely never seen anything like it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Johnny

A seed got burnt and popped from your reefer  :fnord:

Perhaps a kind of northern light or whatever they are called?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

East Coast Hustle

Nah, I'm on the ship and stone cold sober. And it wasn't an aurora borealis, I've seen those before. I can't even file it under "OK, maybe it actually was a spaceship", that's how weird it was. The only possible semi-explanation I can think of is that it was in the general direction of Pax river so it could have been some sort of DARPA test, but even then I can't imagine what would look like that.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

East Coast Hustle

No, when we're out of cell range I leave it in my cabin since it's my alarm clock. I checked the charts though, and relative to our position it was in the exact direction of the part of Chesapeake Bay by the mouth of Pax River that is used as a testing area so I'm thinking that's the most likely explanation.

00.dusk

My guess is (depending on distance) atmospheric conditions, like what causes mirages, combined with something fucking strange to start with.

If it was a small and extremely intense light of any color but red-orange-yellow, honestly, the result could be a large orb of weird, coppery sort of light (like an incandescent about to burn out) once you take into account possible magnification from atmospheric conditions (temperature layers, pressure gradients, etc). The crescent shape might be something that partially obscured the light early in its journey, well before it got twisted by weird air.

You're on a ship, so I assume you've seen just how weird mirages can get. Well, they get even weirder than that given the right conditions.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I saw a flashing, zig-zagging light go across the sky - FAST - one night when I was fifteen. Never found out what it might have been and web searches just turn up that UFO shit.

Yours sounds similar to the Marfa lights though. They're a natural phenomenon, people have been seeing them since long before all the tech stuff.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The up and down part makes it extra hard to dismiss.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

00.dusk

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 24, 2012, 06:49:46 AM
The up and down part makes it extra hard to dismiss.

That's why I had to say it was odd to begin with in my sensible suggestion. A light as intense as I described would have to be something ridiculous to start, and the up and down even my theory can't necessarily account for.

High fucking Weirdness ITT.

Hey Cain, if you run across this, ask your pals if CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is in full swing. They might want to hear about this particular Reality Excursion!

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

I am now 98% positive that it was a DARPA test at the Pax River site, but of course that could not be confirmed nor denied by my buddy at DARPA. :lulz:

Glad I randomly happened to see it anyway, it was pretty damn freaky-cool looking.

Cain

As I recall, this is the second or third time you've mentioned seeing a UFO on PD.  I think it's time to ask some hard questions.

ECH, have you ever experienced a period of missing time?  Do you wake up covered in scars and cuts you cannot explain?  Do you have many dreams involving flying?  Do you find yourself having a sudden awareness of the unified nature of existence, or an increased interest in ecology and vegetarianism?  Have you ever woken up in bed paralysed?  Do you find yourself getting sexually aroused in the presence of reptiles?  Do the words "Zeta Reticuli" mean anything to you?  Are you starting to find David Icke a compelling, or alternately, an abhorrent figure?  Do you find yourself inexplicably upset when "anal probe" jokes are made?  Do you find yourself wishing The X-Files was still on TV?

The People have a right to know.

East Coast Hustle

I find myself inexcusably aroused when anal probe jokes are made.

There was one other time I saw something in the sky I couldn't explain (and still can't), but I don't take it as anything more than my inability to explain what I saw.