Author Topic: Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?  (Read 560102 times)

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?
« Reply #3000 on: November 16, 2019, 09:25:13 pm »
Yeah, that one's tricky.

nullified

• A Pile of Soggy Bird Carcasses
  • Deserved It
  • I WILL EXILE VIOLATORS TO THE PISS-VOID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: November 16, 2019, 09:34:42 pm »
You guys exist. Youre fine, doing the best job meaty beasts full of puke and bones can do.

HIMEOBS does not exist, and is being lazy. Otherwise this bot would have filled the forum with ass before anyone noticed.
I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me.

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #3002 on: November 22, 2019, 01:46:41 pm »
I'm just wrapping up Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. I really enjoy this guy's perspective -- on the surface, it's about colonizing mars, but really it's a novel about political ideas. Robinson loves asking "Why is it easier for us to imagine the apocalypse than the end of capitalism?" And more materially, how could you begin a society without capitalism? How do you keep it from being subsumed and transformed into capitalism?

Juana

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: November 27, 2019, 12:02:18 am »
Reading Making Thinking Visible for work. Possibly the only book I've ever gotten from a professional development meeting that was worth a damn.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

nullified

• A Pile of Soggy Bird Carcasses
  • Deserved It
  • I WILL EXILE VIOLATORS TO THE PISS-VOID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 27, 2019, 12:31:10 am »
Reading Making Thinking Visible for work. Possibly the only book I've ever gotten from a professional development meeting that was worth a damn.

I like the title. Got a quick summary of the concepts?
I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me.

Juana

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 27, 2019, 12:53:59 am »

I like the title. Got a quick summary of the concepts?
We don't even think about *how* we think, but we need to, because learning follows thinking about concepts WITH material. It's got a bunch of different activities for kids to do that involves making the way they think visible (think pair share, etc.). I used a lot of what I read for an activity Thursday and Friday, and I think it worked? Time will tell
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:56:48 am by Juana »
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."