News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Humor for the BIP

Started by Jenne, January 26, 2007, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

unless someone can write something genuinely funny (on purpose), a better approach for us is simply to make mental notes when something funny & appropriate arises from natural causes. then we can say "hey, that was funny - is it worthy of inclusion?"

or something like that. there's been some good stuff in the meme bomb threadd because it forced people to be concise.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2007, 07:15:08 PM
Quote from: Jenne on January 30, 2007, 07:02:42 PM
Yeah.  Fuckit.

I'll be back anon.

I missed this.  Please do not try to morally shame me.  It doesn't work, because I have no shame and I can see no other reason for you to keep doing this every time a harsh word from me ends up your way.

*mumbles something about an implosion*
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2007, 07:35:28 PM
Yeah.  Fuckit.

I'll be back anon.

I missed this.  Please do not try to morally shame me.  It doesn't work, because I have no shame and I can see no other reason for you to keep doing this every time a harsh word from me ends up your way.

*mumbles something about an implosion*

Get lost.

There, you trolled me.  Happy now?

Cramulus

Yeah, I like all of those ideas. I particularly like graphics, because they grab attention and there aren't any in the current booklet.

Just to brainstorm a bit...

Like the Principia, there should be a number of different kinds of humor. Without too heavily recycling what's already been done, we might variate on some of those themes. I think they were effective in being funnay while having overtones which supported the message.

for example, the Letter To Jehovah... If we were to do this from a BIP point of view, we might address it to the Machine.

It might be interesting to make a big deal out of some historical figure, sort of like how Emperor Norton is a great poster-child for Discordia. Our saint's story could be a good narrative for escaping the BIP. We'd have to pick someone really hilarious though. Any ideas? Is anyone worthy of BIP sainthood?

Or that story about the guy who sits in the house waiting for enlightenment and the roof falls on him. Surely that idea could be suitably adapted for the BIP.

Or are these ideas too "been there done that"?

LMNO

A bit, for my tatses.

But it's a good start.  I like where that might go.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

i think you have some good points there prof.

as for the meme bombs, DJ's "black sheep are still sheep" is definitely an award winner.

there are many others to look through of course, but i think everyone really gravitated to that particular line.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

I posted a bounch of the better ones on a website somewhere
dont remember which one
im taking off to work right now
ill look for em when i get back
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on January 30, 2007, 07:32:37 PM
unless someone can write something genuinely funny (on purpose), a better approach for us is simply to make mental notes when something funny & appropriate arises from natural causes. then we can say "hey, that was funny - is it worthy of inclusion?"

or something like that. there's been some good stuff in the meme bomb threadd because it forced people to be concise.

correct barstool motorcycle.  forced funny is hard to do.  Which is why I always try to have a pen and paper handy.  Unfortunately, I often come up with things in the shower or on the road. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

how did the discordian become enlightened?
he took a barstool, got up on it, and changed the lightbulb.

hrm. could use some work.

Cain said:
> What are we after here?

basically we made the BIP stuff cause we wanted to redo the original PD because the PD was considered pretty much outdated and anachronistic. but the PD has some (be it outdated) funny in it, while the BIP is dead serious. so we want to make new funny, but funny that is also deep. like the PD.
(fuck i sound like an idiot if i put it like that)

> Witty one liners?

why not?

> Cartoons (no-one has even mentioned visual humour)?

i can do cartoons. see for example my "barstool hits the priest and scientist alike" pic. that one was drawn in 5 minutes, i can actually do a bit better than that ;-)

if someone got ideas for cool BIP/discordia style cartoons, i'm willing to give it a try.
to give a pointer on what i do best: my cartoon-art tends to go for simplicity, the barstool thingy above is actually already rather detailed for my personal tastes, so don't ask for complicated stuff. i'm good at getting the expressions right for "two persons talking to eachother"-type sketches though.
also i'm lazy so i prefer 1-panel gags over 4-panel strips, and am probably not going to do full-page cartoons unless the script is really awesome.

> Dialogues? 

i loved the

M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

bit at the start of PD

> "Moral" stories with humour in them? 

parable of the sacred bull.

> Puns?

there can NEVER be enough puns!

---

and why does everybody think the guy waiting for enlightenment "shithead" story so funny???? it was imo one of the worse attempts for funnay in the PD. heh-heh "poopyhead" heh-heh.
ah well, tastes differ i guess.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Yeah. Fuckit.

I'll be back anon.

I missed this. Please do not try to morally shame me. It doesn't work, because I have no shame and I can see no other reason for you to keep doing this every time a harsh word from me ends up your way.

Oh, ok.  How's this for telling you what to do?

Fuck off.

Jenne

Quote from: triple zero on January 30, 2007, 10:26:34 PM
how did the discordian become enlightened?
he took a barstool, got up on it, and changed the lightbulb.

hrm. could use some work.

Cain said:
> What are we after here?

basically we made the BIP stuff cause we wanted to redo the original PD because the PD was considered pretty much outdated and anachronistic. but the PD has some (be it outdated) funny in it, while the BIP is dead serious. so we want to make new funny, but funny that is also deep. like the PD.
(fuck i sound like an idiot if i put it like that)

> Witty one liners?

why not?

> Cartoons (no-one has even mentioned visual humour)?

i can do cartoons. see for example my "barstool hits the priest and scientist alike" pic. that one was drawn in 5 minutes, i can actually do a bit better than that ;-)

if someone got ideas for cool BIP/discordia style cartoons, i'm willing to give it a try.
to give a pointer on what i do best: my cartoon-art tends to go for simplicity, the barstool thingy above is actually already rather detailed for my personal tastes, so don't ask for complicated stuff. i'm good at getting the expressions right for "two persons talking to eachother"-type sketches though.
also i'm lazy so i prefer 1-panel gags over 4-panel strips, and am probably not going to do full-page cartoons unless the script is really awesome.

> Dialogues?

i loved the

M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

bit at the start of PD

> "Moral" stories with humour in them?

parable of the sacred bull.

> Puns?

there can NEVER be enough puns!

---

and why does everybody think the guy waiting for enlightenment "shithead" story so funny???? it was imo one of the worse attempts for funnay in the PD. heh-heh "poopyhead" heh-heh.
ah well, tastes differ i guess.

000, I like where you are heading, and RWHN's hypothesis that the more the better is also what I was thinking when I made this thread.

Humor is not a homogenous phenomenon.  It grabs people from all sides--visual, aural, oral, etc.  It also tends to be culturo-specific.

So, here's the thing, if an international group of asshats can agree to what is "funny," then that's a damned good start.  So, if everyone puts up their stuff, and people critique, I think that's a good start.

Saying you're "forcing teh funnay" when you are asking for jokes is a misnomer.  Everyone has a funny bone--even the most serious of every group has one--you just have to be able to tap into it.

Jenne

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 30, 2007, 07:38:31 PM
Yeah, I like all of those ideas. I particularly like graphics, because they grab attention and there aren't any in the current booklet.

Just to brainstorm a bit...

Like the Principia, there should be a number of different kinds of humor. Without too heavily recycling what's already been done, we might variate on some of those themes. I think they were effective in being funnay while having overtones which supported the message.

for example, the Letter To Jehovah... If we were to do this from a BIP point of view, we might address it to the Machine.

It might be interesting to make a big deal out of some historical figure, sort of like how Emperor Norton is a great poster-child for Discordia. Our saint's story could be a good narrative for escaping the BIP. We'd have to pick someone really hilarious though. Any ideas? Is anyone worthy of BIP sainthood?

Or that story about the guy who sits in the house waiting for enlightenment and the roof falls on him. Surely that idea could be suitably adapted for the BIP.

Or are these ideas too "been there done that"?

I also like where this is going, it's sort of what I was thinking with parables that take a more ha-ha/weird! aspect to the lesson.

I guess if you instead look at storytelling with twists (like how some of the "olde" fables of Brothers Grimm ended, not their Disneyana'd bastardizations), then you'd really get somewhere.

They'd need modern a modern if not focus at least flavor to them...yet stay within the realm of longevity.

Like the following story (shooting from the hip, so forgive the rough delivery):

A man walked into a brothel
He asked the madame to get him a young, fresh filly
He explained that the doctor had given him 6 mos to live.

So, the madame checked behind the counter
Found a pink whistle and blew
Immediately, 5 women came running
Each with a scarf covering all but her eyes.

"WTF is this?" he asked, trying to peak at the women's faces
"Nuh-uh-uh!" said the madame, as the women stepped back
"that's extra!  Pay first, then we'll discuss seeing the face!"

"I don't think so--if I'm paying for sex,
I'm going to see the bitch's face first!" the man yells.

"Bitch?  You asked for horse!" the madam exclaimed.
"Tsk" she shakes her head and claps her hands,
Sending all the women back to where they came from.

Confusedly, the man watches as the madame pulls another whistle
this one blue with white spots.
She blows, and out come more women, on all fours.

"Here's your bitches.  Choose one and let's get on with it!"

Moral of the story:  When whistling for your bitch, be sure it's not a horse of a different color.

Ok, that was completely off the cuff and needs lots of work, but you see my meaning?  I'll work on this some more, or won't, I don't know yet.  The "parable" I'm working on is also taking up a lot of my time.  I think I made it too Biblical.

Thurnez Isa

its nice try
but i dont think it particularly hit the mark
after reading it though I do see the appeal of the medium if we use one as sort of a "mindfuck" in a larger work, where the meat of our arguments come before and after
sorry if im not making perfect sense here
its been a loong tiresome day
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante