News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Anti Music/Structureless Sound/Total Noise Bliss

Started by Frenzied Destruction, June 26, 2007, 03:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr retard

i seem to only enjoy noise when it´s live, and with some performance to it. preferably bondage, or horror and blood.

about the subgenres, it´s crazy. people will never agree on whats what in music.
Grindcore is disco and gabber is popmusic. THIS IS A FACT! it is not just my opinion.

As for my grindband, we play LOVEGRIND. grindcore with lyrics about love. nature and good stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/goolovegrind
http://www.squalorbase.com/goo

I do think that most people familiar with underground music to any capacity can agree that there is working difference between noise, and any form of grind, with rare crossover (say in the case of Gore Beyond Necropsy, for example).

As far as noise goes, I've been through a few phases myself. There are several Merzbow albums that have value for repeat listening, at least further than simply wanting something loud and ridiculiously overpowering... but for the most part, a lot of the noise I like has been closer to the side of dark-ambient (stuff like Lustmord, Shinjuku Thief, Converter, Contagious Orgasm, etc.)

Anyway, I really only want to chime in to say that none of this has anything to do with grindcore, except in very rare and singular circumstances. (although lovegrind does sound pretty awesome.)

3D3N

I personally have come to appreciate noise for the fact that I fucking hate it. The fact it makes me feel so strongly about it seems to be it's mastery. In my eyes, the purpose of music it is to evoke an emotional or otherwise response of some kind and hate works just as well for me as love. I would happily go see a noise band live and hate every minute of it and at the same time love the fact I was really feeling something through every moment. So does chaotic noise really fulfill the title of 'anti-music' in that sense? What sort of music could you listen to that didn't really evoke any response at all?

dr retard

true.
Not evoking any emotional response at all is pretty damn impressive.

Kai

Quote from: dr retard on January 10, 2009, 07:59:10 PM
true.
Not evoking any emotional response at all is pretty damn impressive.

People don't listen to music that doesn't evoke some response from them.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Yeah they do, they just dont remember listening to it

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 29, 2007, 05:16:06 AM
Quote from: Frenzied Destruction on June 26, 2007, 03:29:05 PM
Yeah. Im not doing anything particularily ''unique'' (there is a entire genre of music called harsh noise that is dedicated to sounding like this),However i would like to think that my music embraces the idea that chaos can be just as valuable as structure, if not more.
www.myspace.com/frenzieddestruction

check out the pics section, it has some from my first live show, complete with some guy in a mexican wrestler mask and a umbrella.
Also, does anyone else here make chaos/discordian/anti-music flavored stuff? we should release a net compilation or something.Yeah.hope this doesnt count as spam or advertising or whatever, this seems like a awesome place to post.

I'd like to thank every silly bastard in this thread for making Discordianism look really, really stupid, which means we aren't taken seriously and are therefore able to have more fun at society's expense.

So thanks.  Even if your "music" is a big steaming pile of poomp.

TGRR,
Prefers music by people that know how to play their instruments.
:cry:
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

Quote from: 3D3N on January 09, 2009, 02:18:02 AM
I personally have come to appreciate noise for the fact that I fucking hate it. The fact it makes me feel so strongly about it seems to be it's mastery. In my eyes, the purpose of music it is to evoke an emotional or otherwise response of some kind and hate works just as well for me as love. I would happily go see a noise band live and hate every minute of it and at the same time love the fact I was really feeling something through every moment. So does chaotic noise really fulfill the title of 'anti-music' in that sense? What sort of music could you listen to that didn't really evoke any response at all?

Pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. While I do feel that Noise can be approached artfully, and sometimes (although rarely) is impressive in that light, I appreciate it for its ability to simply make someone uncomfortable. Sometimes I enjoy listening to music that invokes that kind of negative response.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'd like to once again mention that "noise" is just that.  It isn't art, it isn't music, it's a bunch of pretentious fucks who want to be rock stars but don't want to take the time to, say, rehearse or maybe even learn how to play an instrument.

It's shit, and the people responsible should be strapped to a Smartcar™, and driven into a bee colony.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 28, 2009, 08:04:56 PM
I'd like to once again mention that "noise" is just that.  It isn't art, it isn't music, it's a bunch of pretentious fucks who want to be rock stars but don't want to take the time to, say, rehearse or maybe even learn how to play an instrument.

It's shit, and the people responsible should be strapped to a Smartcar™, and driven into a bee colony.

I keep meaning to make a Myspace band page and then record some completely retarded, and I mean RETARDED shit, and pretend I'm completely serious.

With lots of "arty" shots of myself, say, wild-haired, wearing a tattered T-shirt and smeared with pudding, kneeling on a log in the forest, in black and white with the contrast adjusted way up. Or curled up in a creek. Whatever.

Anybody have a god band name for me?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

back in the days of mp3.com, anyone could upload music. And you'd get paid like 2 cents every time someone clicked it.

So this kid in my physics class, adam, did the math, and decided he might just get rich if he made like 500 songs and upload them all over the website

so he made 500 songs. They mostly consisted of shit like him playing air guitar on an turned-on leaf blower while "playing" a casio keyboard with his foot.  IIRC he had a song called "erection patrol".

he got lots of angry letters, because he uploaded a few songs to every possible genre. Like Classical. Or Jazz Fusion.

and he got a check every month for something like $14

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 29, 2009, 03:12:22 AM
back in the days of mp3.com, anyone could upload music. And you'd get paid like 2 cents every time someone clicked it.

So this kid in my physics class, adam, did the math, and decided he might just get rich if he made like 500 songs and upload them all over the website

so he made 500 songs. They mostly consisted of shit like him playing air guitar on an turned-on leaf blower while "playing" a casio keyboard with his foot.  IIRC he had a song called "erection patrol".

he got lots of angry letters, because he uploaded a few songs to every possible genre. Like Classical. Or Jazz Fusion.

and he got a check every month for something like $14

:lulz: brilliant!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

I appreciate music, and I appreciate sound.  I can appreciate well done compositions for their time signatures, melodies, rhythms, etc.  But, I can also appreciate a well done soundscape.  A piece that is completely devoid of rhythms, melodies, time signatures, yes, maybe it is "noise", but I wouldn't really categorize that as a song or as music per-se.  But, it is a perfectly valid form or aural art. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.