News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

What makes an ideal Discordian?

Started by Kaienne, July 11, 2007, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Not wishing to be picky to the OP, but while the pineal body may indeed produce DMT, there are also numerous mechanisms in place that prevent the release of sufficient quantities to induce a psychedelic episode.

Rick Strassman's research seems to suggest that large discharges of DMT from the pineal gland would be rare and occur during critical experiences eg: being born, NDE, dying etc.

If it was that easy to access DMT in ourselves, there would not have been any necessity to develop agents like Ayahausca.

There's been plenty of research into the effects of meditation, altered states of consciousness and so forth, much of which has  been very intriguing. I would be very interested to know however, if there's been any studies with regards to meditation and elevated levels of natural DMT in humans.

Personally, I would be cautious about saying that deep meditation = DMT experience. The dosages Strassman needed to induce full on trips in his study group were typically 0.3-0.4mg per kg of body weight. The 0.4mg was his top dosage and was considered pretty extreme.

Just my 2c  :D

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 11, 2007, 06:41:42 PM
I don't think there's actual evidence that DMT exists in the pineal gland... I think that appears only in Strassman's book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" as a theory (Even then there's some question as to how it might be released).

I personally find it easier to grind up some root bark, do an extraction and smoke my DMT directly.

You know, I had read about DMT and it sounded obvious to many writers (like McKenna) that it was produced in the body. After reading this I want source-checking and it sounds like you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

QuoteStrassman also proposed that DMT is made in the pineal gland, although this is only speculation. It should be noted that DMT falls in the Tryptamine group, which also contains Serotonin, Melatonin (a hormone the Pineal Gland does indeed produce, and which contains an indole ring similar to DMT), and Psilocybin.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 11, 2007, 07:14:43 PM
I don't think there's actual evidence that DMT exists in the pineal gland... I think that appears only in Strassman's book "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" as a theory (Even then there's some question as to how it might be released).

I personally find it easier to grind up some root bark, do an extraction and smoke my DMT directly.

You know, I had read about DMT and it sounded obvious to many writers (like McKenna) that it was produced in the body. After reading this I want source-checking and it sounds like you're right.

QuoteStrassman also proposed that DMT is made in the pineal gland, although this is only speculation. It should be noted that DMT falls in the Tryptamine group, which also contains Serotonin, Melatonin (a hormone the Pineal Gland does indeed produce, and which contains an indole ring similar to DMT), and Psilocybin.

Yep, I was surprised once I did further research too. It may be that DMT is produced in the pineal gland, however, it has not been confirmed (nor has it got much evidence to support it as of yet). Of course, more importantly, the concept doesn't seem to have been around when the PD was written. During the 60's I think the pineal gland was considered mostly useless and I have begun to consider that "consulting your pineal gland" besides all of the mystic 3rd eye jokes, may have been a reference to extraneous body parts (like men with nipples). If the Wikipedia reference is correct, then it looks like it was considered vestigial until the 1990's.  Of course, I have no idea if this is what they meant or not... but it seems possible.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Kaienne on July 11, 2007, 05:31:34 PM
IMO ONLY

One who is quick to anger, quick to forgive, quick to the draw, quick to love, quick to fall out of love, quick to give up in lack of interest, quick to suddenly revive old strings of thought previously abandoned due to lack of interest, quick to eat fresh, quick to squick, quick to do nice things for random people for no good reason, quick to react in a witty fashion when a random people does a nice thing for no good reason, and quick to always consult his or her pineal gland, naturally.

Also someone very slow, calm, and serene.

Yeah, and maybe to sound like a crappy hallmark card.  

LMNO

Quote from: Mangrove on July 11, 2007, 06:41:58 PM
Not wishing to be picky to the OP, but while the pineal body may indeed produce DMT, there are also numerous mechanisms in place that prevent the release of sufficient quantities to induce a psychedelic episode.

Rick Strassman's research seems to suggest that large discharges of DMT from the pineal gland would be rare and occur during critical experiences eg: being born, NDE, dying etc.

If it was that easy to access DMT in ourselves, there would not have been any necessity to develop agents like Ayahausca.

There's been plenty of research into the effects of meditation, altered states of consciousness and so forth, much of which has  been very intriguing. I would be very interested to know however, if there's been any studies with regards to meditation and elevated levels of natural DMT in humans.

Personally, I would be cautious about saying that deep meditation = DMT experience. The dosages Strassman needed to induce full on trips in his study group were typically 0.3-0.4mg per kg of body weight. The 0.4mg was his top dosage and was considered pretty extreme.

SSOOKN to the rescue!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

IMO ONLY

One who is quick to anger, quick to forgive, quick to the draw, quick to love, quick to fall out of love, quick to give up in lack of interest, quick to suddenly revive old strings of thought previously abandoned due to lack of interest, quick to eat fresh, quick to squick, quick to do nice things for random people for no good reason, quick to react in a witty fashion when a random people does a nice thing for no good reason, and quick to always consult his or her pineal gland, naturally.

Why would these be Discordian ideals? Some of them seem useful in describing a subset of Discordians, but "quick to do nice things for random people for no good reason"? or "quick to anger, quick to forgive"? And as for " slow, calm, and serene" I don't think I've met a Discordian yet that fits that description.

From my experiences with Discordians, the ideal Discordian is...

about as likely to exist as Nessie. It's possible, but no one has hard evidence of it yet ;-)

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 11, 2007, 07:37:48 PM

about as likely to exist as Nessie. It's possible, but no one has hard evidence of it yet ;-)

An ideal Discordian is like Santa Claus -- fat, imaginary, and enjoys breaking and entering and eating other peoples' cookies.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

guest7654

How difficult a process is this?? :)

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on July 11, 2007, 07:39:42 PM

An ideal Discordian is like Santa Claus -- fat, imaginary, and enjoys breaking and entering and eating other peoples' cookies.
I smell mittens

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: rzasthole on July 11, 2007, 07:44:14 PM

Takes about a week and a rudimentary understanding of chemistry, rudimentary reading comprehension or at least rudimentary skills with The Google. ;-)

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/extraction_guide1/dmt_extraction_guide1.shtml  <--- Guide I have used in the past. It worked well as the little gnome who ran all over my living room would attest to, were he to still be around.

Mangrove

Easier than getting the government to fund a scientific study and supply you with pure DMT.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Mangrove on July 11, 2007, 08:03:51 PM

Easier than getting the government to fund a scientific study and supply you with pure DMT.

TITCM.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

faust

IMO ONLY

Why would these be Discordian ideals? Some of them seem useful in describing a subset of Discordians, but "quick to do nice things for random people for no good reason"? or "quick to anger, quick to forgive"? And as for " slow, calm, and serene" I don't think I've met a Discordian yet that fits that description.

Ideal discordians keep an open mind and always consider the possibility they might be wrong, and their opinions are drawn from conclusions they have come to, not from other peoples.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: faust on July 11, 2007, 11:44:15 PM
IMO ONLY

Ideal discordians keep an open mind and always consider the possibility they might be wrong, and their opinions are drawn from conclusions they have come to, not from other peoples.

Well said... a grainy photograph for the evidence file!!

Oh wait, I think that might actually be a Bobbite or a RAWfin, rather than a Discordian. They look a lot alike, so its easy to confuse the photographs. ;-)

Triple Zero

Quote from: Mangrove on July 11, 2007, 06:41:58 PM

no, see, you're missing the point.

the point is that you need to light(en) up.

DONT YOU GUYS GET IT IM A BATSHIT INSANE FRUITGUM AND ILL SAY ANYTHING WHEN MY BLADDER OF CONSCIOUSNESS IS FULL!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.