News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Coffee.

Started by Triple Zero, January 26, 2008, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I would definitely go to a Morimoto restaurant.  Not sure if he even has any in the States.  Granted, I'm not a chef nor much of a cook, but the stuff the guy pulls of on Iron Chef sometimes is completely mind-boggling.  Especially that think he did where he made a smoker out of ice. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 13, 2011, 06:41:40 PM
Fuck you, Ken Oringer lost on Iron Chef America.

There.

Elitist bastard.  GO BACK TO SEATTLE!

I prefer to think of myself as an anit-elitist. :lulz:

ECH,
crusading against ridiculous foodie culture since, umm, 2010 (when it occurred to me exactly how ridiculous and hypocritical the entire foodie subculture really is)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on May 13, 2011, 07:02:21 PM
I would definitely go to a Morimoto restaurant.  Not sure if he even has any in the States.  Granted, I'm not a chef nor much of a cook, but the stuff the guy pulls of on Iron Chef sometimes is completely mind-boggling.  Especially that think he did where he made a smoker out of ice. 

The REAL Iron Chef show is absolutely exempt from my previous statement. I would do just about anything for a meal cooked by Morimoto. And I can't really blame the guy for doing the crappy American version either. Dude worked his balls off forever, he deserved to get a few fat checks.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 13, 2011, 06:00:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 13, 2011, 02:20:55 PM
One of his proteges is Jamie Bissonnette (and he won his episode of Chopped!), who now has a place called "Coppa" in the South End, which specializes in Italian Bistro-ish dishes, with a focus on charcuterie.  It's awesome.

I will, on principle, never patronize any restaurant if I am aware that the chef there has been on a reality TV cooking show.

Clio, however, is awesome. If that dude has ever been on some Food Network piece of schlock, I don't want to know about it.

What if the chef got a shitload bucket of moneys for appearing on a reality TV cooking show?

Doesn't it go against your very own principles to not accept large amounts of perfectly green money when offered by pinks? Certainly a chef that would turn down such an offer should be lower in your esteem?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, once I thought about what I said I realized it was dumb. You, of course, are totally correct. My utter disdain for the Food Network and reality cooking shows should not carry over to the chefs who cash in on them.

That said, I probably still wouldn't spend my money at a restaurant owned by a chef who had his own show on Food Network.

Unless it was Bobby Flay's joint, and I knew he would be there in person and I'd have a chance to beat the crap out of him.

Triple Zero

ah that's the ECH we all came to know and love! :D
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

AFK

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 14, 2011, 10:37:20 AM
Yeah, once I thought about what I said I realized it was dumb. You, of course, are totally correct. My utter disdain for the Food Network and reality cooking shows should not carry over to the chefs who cash in on them.

That said, I probably still wouldn't spend my money at a restaurant owned by a chef who had his own show on Food Network.

Unless it was Bobby Flay's joint, and I knew he would be there in person and I'd have a chance to beat the crap out of him.

I'd go as well, if I could watch. 

Don't get the deal with Bobby Flay.  He's totally predictable on ICA.  Oh look, he's grilling something cooked in chiles and making tamales.  Never saw THAT before. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

He's got that "middle American non-threateningly handsome" thing going on, and housewives love that.

Guess who makes up most of the Food Network's target demographic?

Also, his food is easily replicated by the home viewer. [/backhanded chef insult]

Jenne

Hello, housewife here--have NEVER liked Bobby Flay NOR have I EVER replicated his fucking recipes. (this may be exaggerated as I might have inadvertantly, and if I did it wasn't b/c it was BF but a good recipe)

...just saying.

But I think a lot of DIY shows are watched by domesticated white people and their spouses, yes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 15, 2011, 06:50:24 PM
He's got that "middle American non-threateningly handsome" thing going on, and housewives love that.

Quote from: Jenne on May 15, 2011, 07:34:02 PM
Hello, housewife here--have NEVER liked Bobby Flay

That's because YOU, lady, are out of his league. ;-)

(just googled the guy, he's not that handsome)

Jenne

:lulz:  Thanks, Trip Zip--yeah, he's kinda weird-lookin' to me.  And he acts like a total asshole, too, in his interviews.  I haven't watched his action on TV in years.  So I can get the "THAT guy? Why?" reaction about him.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on May 15, 2011, 07:53:19 PM
:lulz:  Thanks, Trip Zip--yeah, he's kinda weird-lookin' to me.  And he acts like a total asshole, too, in his interviews.  I haven't watched his action on TV in years.  So I can get the "THAT guy? Why?" reaction about him.

I just Googled him, too, and he's totally generic-looking. He looks like a guy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Yeah. Apparently, there are alot of pretty generic people out there who find that sort of thing both comforting and attractive.

I mean, there are no shortage of guys who think that Rachel Ray is attractive, FFS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 22, 2011, 05:42:37 PM
Yeah. Apparently, there are alot of pretty generic people out there who find that sort of thing both comforting and attractive.

I mean, there are no shortage of guys who think that Rachel Ray is attractive, FFS.

I don't think I know what she looks like.

I'm sure tons of people think he's attractive. He's not ugly or anything; he just looks like a guy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on May 22, 2011, 05:58:33 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 22, 2011, 05:42:37 PM
there are no shortage of guys who think that Rachel Ray is attractive, FFS.

I don't think I know what she looks like.

You've read the "Nessie" thread, yes?

Imagine one of those, but with a whisk in one claw and a really annoying squeaky voice.