News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

The First Church of the Holy Lie

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 12, 2008, 09:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

rat, the point is that there are things that are true even if nobody told you about them.

if nobody told you barstool hurt, or even if you were raised in the jungle by the doctrine that these mythical things called "barstools" are unable to hurt you, you're still going to get hurt by one if you wander into the wrong kind of bar.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 21, 2008, 08:55:27 PM
Cut him a break, he went through the same hell-winter I went through.  He probably has water on the brain. 

Oh shit, he does?  I hope his fevered delusions don't ruin reality! :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on April 21, 2008, 08:58:00 PM
rat, the point is that there are things that are true even if nobody told you about them.

if nobody told you barstool hurt, or even if you were raised in the jungle by the doctrine that these mythical things called "barstools" are unable to hurt you, you're still going to get hurt by one if you wander into the wrong kind of bar.

Well, yes... but that's not what he said

"everything you hold as true is because somebody else simply told you it was. Maybe they were wrong."

It doesn't seem to me that the statement is claiming that there is no truth... but only that truth as we understand it may be wrong. The bar stool may well exist, it may hurt like hell if you get hit with it... but the reason we think it hurts (electromagnetic force) may be false and some other reason may be true.

Just because someone mentions subjectivity doesn't particularly mean that they're taking the "Barstool does not exist" path... I don't think.

EDIT:
or even if you were raised in the jungle by the doctrine that these mythical things called "barstools" are unable to hurt you

everything you hold as true is because somebody else simply told you it was. Maybe they were wrong.

These two statements could be stating the same thing... couldn't they?

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

okay, this is getting a bit nitpicky now, but he said *everything*

there are some things i hold as true because i found them empirically

if he said "most things" i dont think people would have fallen over it.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

ShoobyDB

Ok, I was probably innacurate in some things, but I think you get the point if you don't get too literal. Of course getting smashed with a barstool will hurt; it would hurt whether you thought it would or if you thought it wouldn't or if you had no idea either way. I think you'd find that out for yourself. Now, whether or not the earth is flat, you going to take somebody elses word for it?

Also, I went ahead and skipped that horrible Maine winter this year. I've been in the Middle East for the past four months. So have fun shoveling the drive, I'll be home when the sun is out.
I posted that so hard.

Triple Zero

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 22, 2008, 05:44:24 AMOk, I was probably innacurate in some things, but I think you get the point if you don't get too literal. Of course getting smashed with a barstool will hurt; it would hurt whether you thought it would or if you thought it wouldn't or if you had no idea either way. I think you'd find that out for yourself. Now, whether or not the earth is flat, you going to take somebody elses word for it?

ever been to the ocean? you can see ships sailing "below" the horizon.

AFK

Yeah, that is pretty trippy.  I love living near the ocean. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 22, 2008, 05:44:24 AM
Ok, I was probably innacurate in some things, but I think you get the point if you don't get too literal. Of course getting smashed with a barstool will hurt; it would hurt whether you thought it would or if you thought it wouldn't or if you had no idea either way. I think you'd find that out for yourself. Now, whether or not the earth is flat, you going to take somebody elses word for it?

Black Iron Prison + Barstool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ShoobyDB

Quote from: triple zero on April 22, 2008, 02:07:15 PM
Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 22, 2008, 05:44:24 AMOk, I was probably innacurate in some things, but I think you get the point if you don't get too literal. Of course getting smashed with a barstool will hurt; it would hurt whether you thought it would or if you thought it wouldn't or if you had no idea either way. I think you'd find that out for yourself. Now, whether or not the earth is flat, you going to take somebody elses word for it?

Exactly, you can see for your own eyes the truth, yet, the majority at one time believed something else. Some people still think the Earth is flat. But, also, can't something sitting on a flat object appear below the horizon? Like looking at a table from an angle... What were we talking about again?
I posted that so hard.

LMNO

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 24, 2008, 10:27:50 AM
Quote from: triple zero on April 22, 2008, 02:07:15 PM

Exactly, you can see for your own eyes the truth, yet, the majority at one time believed something else. Some people still think the Earth is flat. But, also, can't something sitting on a flat object appear below the horizon? Like looking at a table from an angle... What were we talking about again?

I think it was something about you being an idiot.

hunter s.durden

Weren't you an old 50 proponent, L?
This space for rent.

LMNO

Suggestion, not rule.

But, yeah. 

Sorry Shooby, please re-read my reply in 33 more posts.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: LMNO on April 24, 2008, 03:15:06 PM
Sorry Shooby,

Nice way to give in, FAG.

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually Silly suggested he lurk moar, but he declined. Prognosis Negative.
This space for rent.

LMNO

Triple Zero

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 24, 2008, 10:27:50 AM
Quote from: triple zero on April 22, 2008, 02:07:15 PMever been to the ocean? you can see ships sailing "below" the horizon.
Exactly, you can see for your own eyes the truth, yet, the majority at one time believed something else. Some people still think the Earth is flat.

what do you mean, still?

QuoteBut, also, can't something sitting on a flat object appear below the horizon? Like looking at a table from an angle... What were we talking about again?

that's what i said, right?

but it's not the angle, it's a known fact that, due to the refraction in the atmosphere (especially in the evening), the horizon actually appears a few arc-degrees higher than the surface of the sea, depending on the distance you view it at. this is why you can't see infinitely far.