News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Frequently asked questions..

Started by Purpleris Niaiseris, June 08, 2008, 11:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hawk on June 08, 2010, 08:23:11 PM
This is why I hate you all. This was a perfectly good bitch thread and you have all turned it into something useful.

Bastards.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will get back to business as usual ITT
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Quote from: Pēleus on June 08, 2010, 08:27:46 PM
hawk, are you saying HaggisFY is a time traveler?

Quite possibly! The only to be sure is to disect it. It there are blue spots on the heart then yes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 08, 2010, 08:19:20 PM
Order and Disorder are two ways of 'seeing' something. If you collect 15 random things in your house and then try to order them into two groups... there will likely be many, many possibilities...

32767, to be exact.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

PopeTom

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 08, 2010, 08:19:20 PM
According to the Joshua Norton Cabal, every Man, Woman and Child is a Pope of the Discordian Movement... but then, they also named their cabal after a guy that called himself the Emperor of the United States, so who knows if they were right, or just crazy.

The Joshua Norton Cabal was right, this is why they are/were crazy.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

memy

I remember I was in Signet one day (gifted education class) and we each got a bag of m and ms. The teacher told us to arrange them chaotically. I gave her my best "what the hell" look as she sat back with an evil grin.

Around me the other kids were putting each candy so that they weren't near another candy of the same color. That's not chaos, that's segregation. Others just opened the bag and let them dump out, all accomplished. It could have come out ordered, though! And they didn't even do anything to the candies!

I then proceeded to take my fist and beat the shit out of the bag until the candies weren't m and ms anymore.

Sometimes chaos is just a forward transformation you just can't undo. Not necessarily destruction, mind you. Just the only logical fate for all things that are sewn: an unravelling.

Or something. That's not where chaos comes from, that's where it goes.
ma-ma-say ma-ma-sah ma-ma-co-sah

Telarus

You example would still have held if you had then melted the chocolate and poured it into a bunny mold. Good catch on the non-reversible nature.

I'll get back to the questions later.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

Quote from: memy on June 08, 2010, 10:21:01 PM
I remember I was in Signet one day (gifted education class) and we each got a bag of m and ms. The teacher told us to arrange them chaotically. I gave her my best "what the hell" look as she sat back with an evil grin.

Around me the other kids were putting each candy so that they weren't near another candy of the same color. That's not chaos, that's segregation. Others just opened the bag and let them dump out, all accomplished. It could have come out ordered, though! And they didn't even do anything to the candies!

I then proceeded to take my fist and beat the shit out of the bag until the candies weren't m and ms anymore.

Sometimes chaos is just a forward transformation you just can't undo. Not necessarily destruction, mind you. Just the only logical fate for all things that are sewn: an unravelling.

Or something. That's not where chaos comes from, that's where it goes.

I would argue that those who just emptied the bag actually had it right.  But I admire your aggression.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

memy

The only problem I really have with the bag emptying isn't that it's not chaotic. I mean, chaos comes from chaos, order comes from chaos, and all that jazz.

But it could be fixed. The candies could just be rounded up again and put back in the bag for a second toss just like the first.

With my attempt, each toss would feature increasingly altered candies. Not only are they tossed for the universe to arrange, but they are changed by me in the process for the better.

Either way it tastes nice.
ma-ma-say ma-ma-sah ma-ma-co-sah

hooplala

Quote from: memy on June 08, 2010, 11:25:12 PM
The only problem I really have with the bag emptying isn't that it's not chaotic. I mean, chaos comes from chaos, order comes from chaos, and all that jazz.

But it could be fixed. The candies could just be rounded up again and put back in the bag for a second toss just like the first.

With my attempt, each toss would feature increasingly altered candies. Not only are they tossed for the universe to arrange, but they are changed by me in the process for the better.

Either way it tastes nice.

The bolded sounds suspiciously like a form of order to me.  
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

but if chaos is the undefined state from which both order and disorder can emerge, wouldn't the proper zen-like solution be to leave the bag closed? :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

The M&Ms were put in a state of order before you even received the bag.

Elder Iptuous

wtf happened here?
i thought this thread was a designated place to bitch about a relatively unknown person who is bitching about being bitched about?

now it's about candy complexity theory, or something?

Adios

Quote from: LMNO on June 09, 2010, 02:27:20 PM

Therefore the only correct answer would be to throw the unopened bag on the floor in a high traffic area.

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on June 09, 2010, 02:28:52 PM
wtf happened here?
i thought this thread was a designated place to bitch about a relatively unknown person who is bitching about being bitched about?

now it's about candy complexity theory, or something?

Beat you to it.

LMNO

Quote from: Hawk on June 09, 2010, 02:34:19 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 09, 2010, 02:27:20 PM

Therefore the only correct answer would be to throw the unopened bag on the floor in a high traffic area.

I still like Mang's solution best.