News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Gerund: The BIP-Rock Project

Started by LMNO, September 09, 2008, 12:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

http://www.reverbnation.com/earfatigueproductions

The band's called Gerund.  Click on the above link, then click on one of the two Gerund tracks.  Available for stream or download.  More to come.

Note:  These aren't the final mixes, but they're pretty close, so I decided to go for it.  I will update when appropriate.

Lyrics:

"The Jailor"

Woke up trapped in the life I was pretending
Machine(tm) in front of me, never ending
I said a prayer to the god I believed in
Then took my place in the Government system

Sat in the place where I was taught good behavior
Five o'clock on Friday was to be my only savior
Leave behind all the things that had happened
Forget the past that I abandoned

They tried to tell me, I just wouldn't listen
They tried to show me the bars of my Prison
My cell was something I had created
Offered no key, but still I waited

The Warden said that I shouldn't try to fight it
"No one escapes, but many suckers try it"
I knew that voice, it was all becoming clearer
It was like staring right into the mirror

They tried to tell me, I just wouldn't listen
They tried to show me the bars of my Prison
My cell was something I had created
Offered no key, but still I waited

Freedom is something that can't be given
They say that it comes from the way that you're living
You can't make a move, you're afraid of failure
You're the best at being your own jailor

Jailbreak.......

"Circular Reasoning"

Said the man
From the Government man
Said he got a plan
That you should understand

He trusts your attention span
Fear of the other man
Fire from the frying pan
Bringing back the Ku Klux Klan;
That's the American plan.

Circular reasoning works because...

Said the man
With his God by his side
Said he got nothing to hide
And he's here to provide

He orders you to comply
Don't bother asking why
That's the sin of foolish pride
Don't be misguided.

But even he knows he lies.

Circular reasoning works because...

AFK

I like em both but Circular Reasoning is my favorite.  Good stuff. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Yeah, I'm with you.  The mix for The Jailor is still really muddy, needs a better bassline, and shouldn't rip off the Foo Fighters so blatantly.

When I post "Teacher Says," I have a feeling D Cup will be angry.

LMNO

Added "Teacher Says":

Teacher says he's gonna tell me
All about the world
To believe all that I see
And believe all that I heard

"Such a thing as wrong and right, with nothing in between.
All there is is Black and White and the sound of the Machine(tm).
This is true, and that is not, and don't you question why."

And when I had it figured out, it almost passed me by...

Teacher says:
"This is for your own good."
Teacher says:
"The government is here to help."
Teacher says:
"Forget your rights, and they'll go away."
Teacher says:
"Your best just isn't good enough."
Teacher says:
"Jesus died for your sins."
Teacher says:
"The police are your friends."
Teacher says:
"Do what you want to say."
Teacher says:
"Freedom isn't free."

Teacher says he's gonna tell me
All about the world
To believe all that I seen
And believe all that I heard

Teacher says...

[edited to make the lyrics match the vocals.]

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on September 09, 2008, 12:55:49 PM
http://www.reverbnation.com/earfatigueproductions

why doesn't this surprise me ... :)

also, just downloaded the tracks, will queue them for a listen
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

hey this is really really good!!!

Jailor: love it, love the lyrics, and yeah the mixing could be improved a bit, but ah.. how about compressing one track sidechained with the bass of another, to make room for the bass frequencies somewhat? it'll sound weird, so that could be funny :) [though you know more about mastering than i do]

lyrics of second verse of Jailor are missing from your post btw.

and uhm, the ending is really a lot like this pagan metal band my ex-gf used to listen to, called Incubus-Sukkubus iirc. not sure if that's a good thing.

Circular Reasoning: this track really works :) ehm. it's great, i like it about 5x better than the previous. i'm always a fan of that afterbeat dub/reggae thingy, and the vocals that go lower and lower in the chorus. one thing, in the chorus at 2:50, there's some kind of filter pushing back the vocals for a little while, it sounds odd. it's something i shouldn't notice, but i do.

Teacher says: might be an accent thing, but i'm reading the lyrics along with your songs, and sometimes you (that's your voice, right?) seem to swallow entire words, i dunno if it's intentional, but it makes it sound kinda messy like you don't know your own lyrics and are surprised you've ran out of syllable-space :) especially in "(There's) such a thing as wrong and right", you swallow "There's", which, IMO, if you need to get rid of that syllable, better reword it instead of swallow it (cause you can still hear it)? like "There's a thing as wrong and right", or i dunno, something.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

LMNO

I added the second verse to the post, thanks!

I don't have time to respond to the rest right now, but I will, no fear.

Cain

I have been meaning to rewrite Washington Bullets, for modern events.

Should I ever complete this aural epic, are you interested in it for this project, despite having nothing to do with the BIP?

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2008, 08:07:19 PM
I have been meaning to rewrite Washington Bullets, for modern events.

Should I ever complete this aural epic, are you interested in it for this project, despite having nothing to do with the BIP?

I'm always up for new material... I've got more side projects than Brittney has paparazzi.

Quote from: triple zero on September 14, 2008, 05:18:14 PM
hey this is really really good!!!

Jailor: love it, love the lyrics, and yeah the mixing could be improved a bit, but ah.. how about compressing one track sidechained with the bass of another, to make room for the bass frequencies somewhat? it'll sound weird, so that could be funny :) [though you know more about mastering than i do]

I think I need to be more specific with the eq, give each instrument it's own bandwidth... but that sidechain is an interesting idea.  I'll keep it in mind.  What I really need to do is rewrite the bassline, give it more life.

Quoteand uhm, the ending is really a lot like this pagan metal band my ex-gf used to listen to, called Incubus-Sukkubus iirc. not sure if that's a good thing.

If you like it, it's a good thing.  Truth be told, I ripped off the Foo Fighters for the rhythm and feel of the chorus and strings crossfade, and a Nine Inch Nails b-side for the piano/sub-bass outro.  Whatever works, right?

QuoteCircular Reasoning: this track really works :) ehm. it's great, i like it about 5x better than the previous. i'm always a fan of that afterbeat dub/reggae thingy, and the vocals that go lower and lower in the chorus. one thing, in the chorus at 2:50, there's some kind of filter pushing back the vocals for a little while, it sounds odd. it's something i shouldn't notice, but i do.

I'll check it out.  It could be I knocked the fader, or I just fucked up.

QuoteTeacher says: might be an accent thing, but i'm reading the lyrics along with your songs, and sometimes you (that's your voice, right?) seem to swallow entire words, i dunno if it's intentional, but it makes it sound kinda messy like you don't know your own lyrics and are surprised you've ran out of syllable-space :) especially in "(There's) such a thing as wrong and right", you swallow "There's", which, IMO, if you need to get rid of that syllable, better reword it instead of swallow it (cause you can still hear it)? like "There's a thing as wrong and right", or i dunno, something.

It's intentional... I borrowed a stylistic element from a lot of Minutemen tracks, where the lyrics would be written one way, and then sung another.  "Such a thing as wrong and right" would be understood in conversation, the "there's" would be mentally added in; but when I wrote it out, I added the words back in, because even though it's understood aurally, it would look heavily stylized written out.

Or something.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on September 19, 2008, 12:59:31 PM
Quoteand uhm, the ending is really a lot like this pagan metal band my ex-gf used to listen to, called Incubus-Sukkubus iirc. not sure if that's a good thing.

If you like it, it's a good thing.  Truth be told, I ripped off the Foo Fighters for the rhythm and feel of the chorus and strings crossfade, and a Nine Inch Nails b-side for the piano/sub-bass outro.  Whatever works, right?

i did like Inkubus-Sukkubus (even though it's not my style, the tracks got good energy). haven't listened to it a lot since we broke up, though :)

QuoteCircular Reasoning: this track really works :) ehm. it's great, i like it about 5x better than the previous. i'm always a fan of that afterbeat dub/reggae thingy, and the vocals that go lower and lower in the chorus. one thing, in the chorus at 2:50, there's some kind of filter pushing back the vocals for a little while, it sounds odd. it's something i shouldn't notice, but i do.

k.

just to be clear: i like that the vocals that go lower and lower in the chorus. it's really cool. it was just the odd sound at around 2:50 i was pointing out.

QuoteTeacher says: might be an accent thing, but i'm reading the lyrics along with your songs, and sometimes you (that's your voice, right?) seem to swallow entire words, i dunno if it's intentional, but it makes it sound kinda messy like you don't know your own lyrics and are surprised you've ran out of syllable-space :) especially in "(There's) such a thing as wrong and right", you swallow "There's", which, IMO, if you need to get rid of that syllable, better reword it instead of swallow it (cause you can still hear it)? like "There's a thing as wrong and right", or i dunno, something.

It's intentional... I borrowed a stylistic element from a lot of Minutemen tracks, where the lyrics would be written one way, and then sung another.  "Such a thing as wrong and right" would be understood in conversation, the "there's" would be mentally added in; but when I wrote it out, I added the words back in, because even though it's understood aurally, it would look heavily stylized written out.

Or something.

there's a lot of bands that have lyrics written one way and sung another. i hate that :)

in this track, i get a slightly "out of breath" hasty feeling from it. which is not good (only for a track where "out of breath" or "hasty" is an explicit theme).

have you got a specific link/youtube/example to check out one of those Minutemen tracks? because maybe it's in fact a good idea, but it doesn't sound like it's supposed to.

mind you, i'm nitpicking, because i really like these tracks, they got potential, and i wanna see them carried out in full awesomeness.

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on September 20, 2008, 02:16:24 AM

k.

just to be clear: i like that the vocals that go lower and lower in the chorus. it's really cool. it was just the odd sound at around 2:50 i was pointing out.

Ok, I took a listen.  That was me running out of breath.   :lol:  You can hear it repeat itself during the round.  I'll bump the fader a bit to cover.

Or something.

there's a lot of bands that have lyrics written one way and sung another. i hate that :)

in this track, i get a slightly "out of breath" hasty feeling from it. which is not good (only for a track where "out of breath" or "hasty" is an explicit theme).

have you got a specific link/youtube/example to check out one of those Minutemen tracks? because maybe it's in fact a good idea, but it doesn't sound like it's supposed to.

mind you, i'm nitpicking, because i really like these tracks, they got potential, and i wanna see them carried out in full awesomeness.

As I was listening back, it seems to me I enunciated every word I sang... I'm wondering, if I didn't put "There's" in the lyrics, would you have noticed?

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on September 22, 2008, 01:07:53 PM
Ok, I took a listen.  That was me running out of breath.   :lol: 

protip: Circular breathing works because ...

:lol:

QuoteAs I was listening back, it seems to me I enunciated every word I sang... I'm wondering, if I didn't put "There's" in the lyrics, would you have noticed?

i don't know .. i don't have the track here right now, but i'll listen to it without reading the lyrics and find out.

LMNO

Hey, test mix up for a new song, "No Choice" (at http://www.reverbnation.com/earfatigueproductions).  I'm still working on the suggestions for the others.

You, in that smug tone of voice
No difference between signal and noise
No one left to appeal to
And all the bills have come due
Telling me you've left me no choice

Even though you know it's no use
You keep looking for another excuse
You're sure that it's no game
But it's feeling so strange
like your whole foundation's come loose

Someone forces you to behave
And not to make too many waves
You'd change, if you could, so you say;
But today's not a good day.

You...
Have only one point of view
"Don't fix what ain't broke"
But that's your little joke
Cuz it's shattered all the way through

So what good is the truth that you've found
If it's turtles all the way down?
What's the point to it
If all you're gonna do with it
Is regret the road you've been down?

Someone forces you to behave
And not to make too many waves
You'd change, if you could, so you say;
But today's not a good day.

Honey

Hi LMNO,

I really like all your lyrics, especially Jailor & Circular Reasoning & the last 1, No Choice.  & the music especially on Circular Reasoning.  Thanks & respect.

& I owe you an apology I think?  For something I said in another thread?  It was just that the synchronized randomness turned you into DC & Suu's Mother.  Evidently I did not foresee that bit of convoluted 'creepiness' & it was too much for my mango madness & vodka stewed brain to take atm.  I offer my sincere apologies & hope you will forgive me?  Your handsomeness from your pics just threw me for a loop & the dissonance was way too much.  So sorry for that.

& I really do like your music & do you perform anywhere?
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell