News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

do you know your evil?

Started by Rhys Rhaven, September 22, 2008, 04:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Malachite on October 01, 2008, 10:34:51 PM
Yeah, and I can agree with that. But I still don't see why Hoopla was so offended. It definitely wasn't the internet equivalent of a wedgie.

As I've stated several times already, it was mostly the OTHER things that were said before, this comment (admittedly minor, I'll agree to that) was the straw that broke the back.  That, along with other digs from people I can't tell apart.  It's been at least once a week for the last three months that someone has snuck in a dig at me and I'm left thinking "Who is this person?" . . . if I don't even know who you are, no, I don't take a friendly dig well.  I'm funny that way, I guess.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Messier Undertree

Quote from: Hoopla on October 01, 2008, 10:42:19 PM
As I've stated several times already, it was mostly the OTHER things that were said before, this comment (admittedly minor, I'll agree to that) was the straw that broke the back.

Links?

Quote from: Hoopla on October 01, 2008, 10:42:19 PMThat, along with other digs from people I can't tell apart.

Cainad isn't responsible for those. He tried to make a joke and you took it personally.

It's been at least once a week for the last three months that someone has snuck in a dig at me and I'm left thinking "Who is this person?" . . . if I don't even know who you are, no, I don't take a friendly dig well.  I'm funny that way, I guess.

Maybe you're taking jokes too personally and you're just noticing them more because of that?

Cramulus

you make a good point.

also, for the record, I've hung out with Cainad IRL, and he's a very chill dude. I sincerely doubt his snark was intended to come off as dickish or whatever.

I think we had a weird shrapnel collision, but everybody survived

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 01, 2008, 04:31:30 AM
yeah, cainad. what you said was WAY OVER THE LINE, BUBBA. YOU WILL LEARN TO TAKE US OLD-TIMERS SERIOUSLY OR ELSE.

Or else what?  Those of us who are aged, decrepit, and cranky will throw fits?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2008, 12:26:35 AM
yeah, cainad. what you said was WAY OVER THE LINE, BUBBA. YOU WILL LEARN TO TAKE US OLD-TIMERS SERIOUSLY OR ELSE.

Or else what?  Those of us who are aged, decrepit, and cranky will throw fits?   :lulz:

This forum needs a lawn so we can tell newbs to get off it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Malachite on October 01, 2008, 10:08:51 PM
Or not.

Quote from: LMNO on October 01, 2008, 03:09:11 PM
Noobs are trying to get into the flow of things, and are doing their best to "fit in".  The problem is, me poking fun at Hoopla is treated differently than Yabbo poking fun at Hoopla.

This is what is wrong with PD.com and pretty much every other forum after a few years. Older members always seem to think that people should give a shit about the size of their e-penis.

Or we're just cranky old curmudgeons.  One or the other.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on October 02, 2008, 12:28:46 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2008, 12:26:35 AM

Or else what?  Those of us who are aged, decrepit, and cranky will throw fits?   :lulz:

This forum needs a lawn so we can tell newbs to get off it.

This forum needs geritol, and lots of it.

Payne

There is a lawn on the roof.

When we tell them to get off it, we direct them to the quick way down.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on October 01, 2008, 10:16:31 PM
EDIT: this is a response to Malachites last post.

It's a "community" thing and a "respect" thing.

I know that's not really your bag, or at least assume so. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Throwing little insults and digs in are ok when you know where the other person is coming from, and if you are at least able to interact with them on some other level.

Cainad in the strictest sense didn't do anything wrong, not according to the forum guidelines, or for the general community here.

For a few people within this community, it's perceived that he has been a passive aggressive little bastard who  doesn't seem to interact with those few on any other level.

That's where the drama has come from. And I don't believe that there is, or will be, any kind of attempt to "enforce" a "no insults/digs/ego deflations" policy on everyone else.

No official action of any kind was suggested.  This board also has no rules against mobs of wrinkled elderly types beating the living shit out of random passers-by, either.

Just saying.

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2008, 12:31:15 AM

I know that's not really your bag, or at least assume so. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Throwing little insults and digs in are ok when you know where the other person is coming from, and if you are at least able to interact with them on some other level.

Cainad in the strictest sense didn't do anything wrong, not according to the forum guidelines, or for the general community here.

For a few people within this community, it's perceived that he has been a passive aggressive little bastard who  doesn't seem to interact with those few on any other level.

That's where the drama has come from. And I don't believe that there is, or will be, any kind of attempt to "enforce" a "no insults/digs/ego deflations" policy on everyone else.

No official action of any kind was suggested.  This board also has no rules against mobs of wrinkled elderly types beating the living shit out of random passers-by, either.

Just saying.

And neither should it.

Sorry if it sounded like it sounded like I was making a false representation of either yourself, or Hoopla though.

The Good Reverend Roger

It has nothing to do with being "old buddies". The guy was being sarcastic. I've never really seen anyone here unable to take a joke before.

You should have been here in the old days.  Hoopla told a joke about me, and my over-reaction kicked off a civil war that had been brewing, which lasted TWO YEARS, and resulted in most of the board bailing.

By that standard, Hoopla didn't over-react at all.

It was hardly even an insult. Hoopla was just being a little bit too much of a delicate flower for my liking. Cainad told a joke, Hoopla started crying, and his big brothers beat up Cainad. That's what I'm seeing in this thread.

Well, that's because you're an asshole.  Having someone's back != "big brothers beating someone up".

Try not to be an asshole.  It only leads to a life of iniquity and a bald head.

Links please. I haven't had a problem with him, and he certainly didn't do anything wrong in this thread.

Well, I don't have a link, because it was on IRC, but Cainaid DID try to raise an angry mob after me, because I was going to fuck it up for everyone when we got to the BIG BOARDS.  That's good enough for me.

They don't all turn out like 4chan. The world's biggest forum is completely anonymous and they get on just fine.

Two words:  Fucked Company.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Payne on October 02, 2008, 12:34:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2008, 12:31:15 AM

Just saying.

And neither should it.

Sorry if it sounded like it sounded like I was making a false representation of either yourself, or Hoopla though.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SO ANGRY!

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

TGRR,
Is like an ice cream truck full of angry bees.

hooplala

Quote from: Malachite on October 01, 2008, 10:48:30 PM
As I've stated several times already, it was mostly the OTHER things that were said before, this comment (admittedly minor, I'll agree to that) was the straw that broke the back.

Links?

Quote from: Hoopla on October 01, 2008, 10:42:19 PMThat, along with other digs from people I can't tell apart.

Cainad isn't responsible for those. He tried to make a joke and you took it personally.

It's been at least once a week for the last three months that someone has snuck in a dig at me and I'm left thinking "Who is this person?" . . . if I don't even know who you are, no, I don't take a friendly dig well.  I'm funny that way, I guess.

Maybe you're taking jokes too personally and you're just noticing them more because of that?

1)  I'm not going to waste my time trudging back through posts to find links so I can satisfy you.  You seem to be under the mistaken impression I give a shit what you think.

2)  Agreed.  He was, I believed at the time -and I agree I overreacted... didn't I say that?- symptomatic of the problem.

3)  Right.  PD.com is chock full of rainbows and sunshine.  What was I thinking???
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on October 02, 2008, 12:41:04 AM
Quote from: Malachite on October 01, 2008, 10:48:30 PM

Links?

It's been at least once a week for the last three months that someone has snuck in a dig at me and I'm left thinking "Who is this person?" . . . if I don't even know who you are, no, I don't take a friendly dig well.  I'm funny that way, I guess.

1)  I'm not going to waste my time trudging back through posts to find links so I can satisfy you.  You seem to be under the mistaken impression I give a shit what you think.

2)  Agreed.  He was -I believed at the time, and I agree I overreacted... didn't I say that?- symptomatic of the problem.

3)  Right.  PD.com is chock full of rainbows and sunshine.  What was I thinking???

I know what Malachite's problem is.  It's all that hair on his head.  Overheats the brain.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also:  I cannot speak for Hoopla, but I reserve the right to go off the deep end for any reason or no reason at all.  As the man said, SHIT YOUR HATE OR YOU WILL DIE. 

There's no crying in Discordia.  Just random anus harm.