News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

To crap with the Chevy Volt

Started by Jasper, September 22, 2008, 08:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It can go 95 miles per hour but only gets 120 miles on one charge. :|

In small states where stuff is close together that might not be an issue, but where am I going to go on the freeway that's less than an hour away?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

It's a commuter bike.  Did you expect pure electrics to replace chemical burners anytime soon?

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Nigel on September 22, 2008, 10:15:32 AM
It can go 95 miles per hour but only gets 120 miles on one charge. :|

In small states where stuff is close together that might not be an issue, but where am I going to go on the freeway that's less than an hour away?
Six hours for a charge seems rather inconvenient too. Electric vehicles are not going to take off until they can get battery storage into a reasonable range.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Or we could have 220 volt outlets in our carports.

Cramulus

Most of the time, when I drive, it's to the store or to work. Either way, it's less than 20 minutes. A small electric car would be perfect for that.

why won't you people get it through your heads?
You live in New York, Los Angeles, or your needs are of no commercial value.
:fursecution:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2008, 03:56:47 PM
Most of the time, when I drive, it's to the store or to work. Either way, it's less than 20 minutes. A small electric car would be perfect for that.

why won't you people get it through your heads?
You live in New York, Los Angeles, or your needs are of no commercial value.
:fursecution:

My point was that unless most people are going on a long trip, they will have no need to go 80-95 mph. It seems like they traded off efficiency for speed, when most scooter users would benefit a lot more from efficiency.

Most combustion scooters sold only get up to about 40 mph, and they sell shit-tons of them around here for commuting and general getting-around-town. I'm surprised that the makers of this scooter didn't take that approach.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

You think my scooter gets 120 miles per tank?  It's efficient and all, I only spend 3 dollars on fuel a week or so, but it only holds 5 litres or so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Felix on September 29, 2008, 10:39:50 PM
You think my scooter gets 120 miles per tank?  It's efficient and all, I only spend 3 dollars on fuel a week or so, but it only holds 5 litres or so.

What is your point?

Jasper

Quote from: Nigel on September 30, 2008, 01:59:45 AM
Quote from: Felix on September 29, 2008, 10:39:50 PM

What is your point?

That, regardless of how you decide to power them, scooters are not long range vehicles. 

And yeah, not being able to plug in is a handicap.

There ought to be some sort of social network where people willing to let you plug your all-electric for a small amount of money arrange to help each other out.

East Coast Hustle

you guys are missing the obvious point about electric vehicles.

WHERE IS THE FUCKING ELECTRICITY COMING FROM?

OH, THAT'S RIGHT. PROBABLY OIL OR COAL. BUT AT LEAST YOU'LL GET TO HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND AN OVERWHELMING AND UNJUSTIFIED SMUGNESS.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

I wonder if coating the thing in SolarPly would give it enough juice.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 30, 2008, 05:02:48 AM

OH, THAT'S RIGHT. PROBABLY OIL OR COAL. BUT AT LEAST YOU'LL GET TO HAVE A FALSE SENSE OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND AN OVERWHELMING AND UNJUSTIFIED SMUGNESS.
Or Wind. Or Solar. Or Hydroelectric. Or Nuclear. Or Geothermal. Or Wave Power.

Granted, we aren't doing that stuff as much as we should be. We need to just fucking stop with the fossil fuels already. Just pretend like they are going to completely disappear in 20 years.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Rumckle

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on September 30, 2008, 07:42:37 AM

Or Wind. Or Solar. Or Hydroelectric. Or Nuclear. Or Geothermal. Or Wave Power.

Granted, we aren't doing that stuff as much as we should be. We need to just fucking stop with the fossil fuels already. Just pretend like they are going to completely disappear in 20 years.

Also, it is a more efficient way to get the energy from fossil fuels
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Kai

I was actually going to post this when I first saw this thread, but I thought everyone was gonna come down on me about the wonders of nuclear, or hydro, or wind, all of which have flaws.

Its coal, btw. Oil only gets used for electricity on very small scale generators. Most large scale electrical powerplants are coal burning. Oil is so expensive as a resource and uses almost completely for transport. And yeah, electricity from coal, not exactly environmentally friendly.

The only thing thats gonna make any difference is people changing their lifestyles and we don't even need to talk about that seriously because its not going to happen.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish