News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I've seen those oven/stovetop smokers too, and I just didn't like the look of them.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2010, 05:05:17 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure.  I've seen those oven/stovetop smokers too, and I just didn't like the look of them.

That has been my problem too, not to mention they are outrageously expensive for only doing one thing.  The one I saw was on sale for $42.95 which in comparison was a damn good price, but the kids were all, if it's that cheap it doesn't work right or something so I didn't get it.

I want someone to invent a smoker/dehydrator that will do one or the other or both....  :lulz:

I'm dehydrating about half of my vegetables this year instead of canning or freezing all of them.  Smoked dehydrated is so good.  My grandmother used to smoke/dry strings of veggies in the smokehouse when I was a kid.  MMMMMMmmmmmm

Sir Squid Diddimus

you can make a smoker out of a terra cotta pot and a hot plate.
Alton Brown did it.
This can sit on your porch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

he explains it all in the first couple of minutes. of course, i think he paid way too much for his stuff, as you can get all these things at either garage sales or thrift store flea market type places.

Triple Zero

I've been downloading random Alton Brown seasons lately (1,2,3 and part of 7), I LOVE that show :D

I think it was Good Eats - S02E11 - Pantry Raid II - Seeing Red where he explained how to properly use a steel to realign your kitchen knife ... That is pretty .. wow. I know regularly cut my fingers at least every other day! The day before I wasn't even cutting, but just accidentally happened to touch my finger with the knife, it went straight in BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!

At least it gives me an excuse to try out different brands of bandages. It turns out that the more expensive A-brands are really worth it, because the cheaper ones skimp on the quality of the adhesives, which makes them useless, especially if the fingers are a bit wet or sweaty.

I should still practice on doing the "guiding the knife with your knuckles" but I just can't seem to get the hang of it ..
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Once, during a lunch rush I accidentally brushed the back of my hand past my knife just sitting on the cutting board, and it cut a chunk of my hand off.  I actually saw my own inner silver fleshy lining.  Back when I had one of those fancy 3-sided sharpening stones. :x

Want another one so bad.

Triple Zero

> I actually saw my own inner silver fleshy lining.

I suppose only for an instant, before the blood started swelling?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Yeah, it took like three seconds before beads of blood started oozing out.  :lol:  I had to wear a glove the whole day, and it filled up with blood. :lulz:

Richter

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 04, 2010, 08:52:48 PM
Once, during a lunch rush I accidentally brushed the back of my hand past my knife just sitting on the cutting board, and it cut a chunk of my hand off.  I actually saw my own inner silver fleshy lining.  Back when I had one of those fancy 3-sided sharpening stones. :x

Want another one so bad.

Was it one of the short, fine grit, synthetic ones?  I've got a box of those, estate sale salvage, and they are useful as all get out.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

I think we're talking about the same thing.  The kind you use with mineral oil, right?

Richter

I just use mine dry, or maybe with a little water.  A lot of the denser synthetics you can get away with that, and just scrub off the accumulated grey shiny with powdered cleanser ever one or two months. 

I think Norton company makes them still (the ones I have are only 3-4 inches long.) 
Spyderco makes some good ones too for their "Tri-angle" sharpening systems, about 8 inches long, triagular cross section.   Spares retail for about $20 a peice.  The whole kit is worth it for kitchen knives or finer slicing, non hard use knives, IMHO.  If you're steady, good with angles, and aren't too particular, they work fine hand held. 
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Jasper

True, and I take more satisfaction from doing it the hard way.  I'm going to the trouble to have a sharp knife, so I might as well get good at it.  It's really good for calming down, too.  Tense?  Realign the knife until the edge makes air bleed.  Good fun. :)

Richter

Agreed.  I do most of my sharpenign these days with the aforementioned stones, and a cheap diamond steel that's very well broken in. 

For more extreme cases, (like my dad's leatherman tool, which he totally blunted cutting aspalt shingle), I will pull out a tiny bastard cut file and put on a new bevel.

Jasper

Interesting.  I doubt my finicky Shun blade would appreciate me taking a file to it, but maybe the iron cleaver would.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on July 03, 2010, 07:22:02 AM
you can make a smoker out of a terra cotta pot and a hot plate.
Alton Brown did it.
This can sit on your porch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

he explains it all in the first couple of minutes. of course, i think he paid way too much for his stuff, as you can get all these things at either garage sales or thrift store flea market type places.

I want one of these, and in fact I think I'm going to make one this afternoon.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 05, 2010, 07:31:58 PM
Interesting.  I doubt my finicky Shun blade would appreciate me taking a file to it, but maybe the iron cleaver would.

Big steel monstrosity cleavers:  always.  They can stand to loose some metal in the name of a better established edge.  Like with an axe or a machete.  Even my chinese styled, thin, "We obviously made this from surplus pipe" cleaver can stand it, since I messed up a cut once and got hairline crack going 5mm into the edge.

For your Shun, you're right.  Take the time with fine abrasives and POLISH out any imperfections, reciting the mantra of "I will not cut like a clueless gaijin, drop my knife, or let my roomates touch it again without taking their blood."  Is it a layered steel?  

If it's a good steel, layered, or fancy heat treated, but still badly damaged, that sucks.  Feel bad about what has happened for 10 seconds, the Project Time :)  Break out file, hacksaw, grinder, etc., and make a utility knife of the gods.