News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

I am drinking...

Started by Kai, February 13, 2009, 06:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Redstone Meadery's Traditional Mountain Honey Wine (12%; Boulder, CO).

This is one of the beverages I received from a friend for lending her my car for a day. Apparently its just water, two types of honey and yeast. I like that, in the same way I like my beers simple.

I'm starting a new thread because I couldn't find the old one and can't remember if faust deleted it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 06:02:49 PM
Redstone Meadery's Traditional Mountain Honey Wine (12%; Boulder, CO).

This is one of the beverages I received from a friend for lending her my car for a day. Apparently its just water, two types of honey and yeast. I like that, in the same way I like my beers simple.

I'm starting a new thread because I couldn't find the old one and can't remember if faust deleted it.

:mittens:

Mead is best when its simple. I've had some great complex meads, spiced methaglens and even one mead made with champagne yeast so it was bubbly and sparkly. My favorite, is still just honey, water and yeast.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dysfunctional Cunt

I love a good mead.  I'm with Rat, honey, water and yeast.  Just make sure it's a good honey and also a new honey, old honey that has been sitting gives the mead a musty taste.

Kai

Well, this is pretty good, I mean, it tastes like a sweetish white wine with no carbonation.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 06:44:55 PM
Well, this is pretty good, I mean, it tastes like a sweetish white wine with no carbonation.

I like those light ones, but I have had some really awesome heavy meads that basically are made with double the honey ratio.

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 13, 2009, 07:28:17 PM

I like those light ones, but I have had some really awesome heavy meads that basically are made with double the honey ratio.

You mean, extra thick?

Richter

That stuff sounds great.  I want to make more now.

Not counting the Honey and whiteline "quick mead", right?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 07:58:27 PM

You mean, extra thick?

Well they are a bit more viscous ;-) But mostly, its the flavor... a lot of really nicely clarified and light meads taste like a sweet white wine. The 'heavier' ones taste much more of honey. There are some Polish meads that are very thick like brandy, but I've only found a couple of those I could stand.

Of course, if one were to distill mead... obviously speaking theoretically since it's illegal... I would wager that a lovely honey liquor would show up.

I mean, a hotplate with a thermostat, tea kettle, copper pipes and a bucket of ice.... IN THEORY would be all you need.  :fnord:

Richter

IN THEORY, AND ONLY BECAUSE I'M A GEEK:

You're basically going for an optimum temp for ethanol extaction, and then recondensing, right?

Would a double boiler for the main pot give better temp. control?

Also, if memory serves the methanol has a lower boiling point, and will extract first, so you want to throw out you first 10-15% so yu don't make yourself blind...
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 13, 2009, 08:17:58 PM
Of course, if one were to distill mead... obviously speaking theoretically since it's illegal... I would wager that a lovely honey liquor would show up.

I believe that's called "Barenjaeger".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Richter on February 13, 2009, 08:30:43 PM
IN THEORY, AND ONLY BECAUSE I'M A GEEK:

You're basically going for an optimum temp for ethanol extaction, and then recondensing, right?

Would a double boiler for the main pot give better temp. control?

Also, if memory serves the methanol has a lower boiling point, and will extract first, so you want to throw out you first 10-15% so yu don't make yourself blind...

Well... IN THEORY you might be right on that double broiler... and if I were to do such a thing I would pay careful attention to the extractions and have a hydrometer on hand.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dirtytime on February 13, 2009, 09:25:47 PM

No you're confusing mead liquor with a horrific sort of paint remover.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 13, 2009, 09:44:26 PM
Quote from: Dirtytime on February 13, 2009, 09:25:47 PM

No you're confusing mead liquor with a horrific sort of paint remover.

Barenjeger Duelism!!!

Jenne

:lulz:

And Kai, sounds delish--I told my brother I'm going to buy him and I some supplies and we're going to make 1) honey-wheat ale 2) mead and 3) cider.  :D  Color me excited!

Kai

been drinking La Fin Du Monde all afternoon.

This friend sure knows their beer.  :D