News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Crocoduck Fossil Found in Peru

Started by Iason Ouabache, March 01, 2009, 06:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://chaoskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/03/crocoduck-fossil-discovered-in-peru.html

I'm sure many of you have seen the footage of bone-headed Creationist Kirk Cameron on the O'RLY Show saying that if evolution was true we'd find a crocoduck in the fossil record. Since we haven't found a crocoduck, that means that God wins. Well, it appears that Mr. Cameron will now have to eat his words:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_PERU_FOSSIL?SITE=FLROC

QuoteThe unusually intact fossilized skull of a giant, bony-toothed seabird that lived up to 10 million years ago was found on Peru's arid southern coast, researchers said Friday.

The fossil is the best-preserved cranium ever found of a pelagornithid, a family of large seabirds believed to have gone extinct some 3 million years ago, said Rodolfo Salas, head of vertebrate paleontology at Peru's National History Museum...

With fossils discovered in North America, North Africa and even Antarctica, Kepska said, the birds were ubiquitous only a few million years before humans evolved and scientists puzzle over why they died out. Some believe they are related to gannets and pelicans, while other say they are related to ducks.

I can't wait to hear what his reaction to this story will be.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's almost like a fucking masterful joke by Cameron's god.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I'm pretty sure I ate something like that in the soup once...

Vene

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 01, 2009, 06:35:04 AM
I can't wait to hear what his reaction to this story will be.
Same here, I eagerly await some lulz, maybe even a little bit of horrormirth if we're lucky.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Template

The fossil record is the devil's nefarious fabrication, anyways.

Someone should cook up a "concerned" e-mail and send it, but that's my prediction.

Kai

QuoteIf then the geological record be as imperfect as I believe it to be, and it may at least be asserted that the record cannot be proved to be much more perfect, the main objections to the theory of natural selection are greatly diminished or disappear. On the other hand, all the chief laws of paleontology plainly proclaim, as it seems to me, that species have been produced by ordinary generation; old forms having been supplanted by new and improved forms of life, produced by the laws of variation still acting round us, and preserved by Natural Selection.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Template

Quote from: Kai on March 02, 2009, 08:25:07 PM
QuoteIf then the geological record be as imperfect as I believe it to be, and it may at least be asserted that the record cannot be proved to be much more perfect, the main objections to the theory of natural selection are greatly diminished or disappear. On the other hand, all the chief laws of paleontology plainly proclaim, as it seems to me, that species have been produced by ordinary generation; old forms having been supplanted by new and improved forms of life, produced by the laws of variation still acting round us, and preserved by Natural Selection.

Sweet quote.  Who do you hope to persuade with good ideas?  Smart people?

Kai

Quote from: yhnmzw on March 02, 2009, 11:58:26 PM

Darwin wrote that, more than 150 years ago.

Template

Quote from: Kai on March 03, 2009, 12:15:41 AM
Quote from: yhnmzw on March 02, 2009, 11:58:26 PM

Darwin wrote that, more than 150 years ago.

I knew Darwin wrote it. (90% confident, at least)  For some reason, I thought it was a reply to my post.

Kai

You said something about the fossil record. I was thinking about Darwin's chapter in On the Origin about the Geologic Record. Therefore, quote got posted.

Heh, 90% confident. With a significance level of 0.1?

Thurnez Isa

Listen through out the fossil record you don't find that transitional fossil...  The Crocoduckfrog..
/
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

fomenter

the crocoduck is the perfect food it fits easily in the human hand and is delicious and filled with nutrients
                                             /
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

LMNO

The crocoduck was created by God to fuck with archeologists.
                                             /

Kai

:lulz:

Fundamentalism is line shifting. Science shows you're an idiot? Shift the lines a little. No one likes your bigotry anymore? Shift the lines a little. Still hate fags but don't want to give up mixed fibers? Shift the lines a little. Apocalypse didn't come when you predicted? Shift the lines a little.