News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

A dedicated follower of strife

Started by P3nT4gR4m, March 14, 2009, 02:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter s.durden

Let's explain karma (real old Eastern karma) for those of us that apparently don't know.
This space for rent.

Dysfunctional Cunt

See now that is why I say JUST SHOOT THEM!!!  One bullet, one person, perfect karma!!!

Quote from: hunter s.durden on March 18, 2009, 08:18:13 PM
Let's explain karma (real old Eastern karma) for those of us that apparently don't know.

WIKI says.... :lulz:

Sorry I couldn't help myself....  But actually they give a decent definition so.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

hooplala

Yeah it seems I had the wrong idea about Eastern karma... that'll teach me to blabber half-cocked...

I don't even remember where I heard about the supposed Eastern idea of karma, but what I had heard (or possibly read) was that karma wasn't a cosmic power, but was a behaviour.  For instance, if someone steps on your foot on the subway, you can let it make you mad so that you are more likely to bump into someone afterwards and not care about it (bad karma) or you could realize that the person probably didn't intend to step on your foot and not let it put you in a bad mood and pass that vindictiveness on to others (good karma).  And, while I still like that idea better and think it is more applicable in day to day life it is not, apparently, the true eastern view, which seems to have a lot to do with reincarnation and mystical mumbo jumbo.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Dr Hoopla on March 18, 2009, 08:29:29 PM
Yeah it seems I had the wrong idea about Eastern karma... that'll teach me to blabber half-cocked...

I don't even remember where I heard about the supposed Eastern idea of karma, but what I had heard (or possibly read) was that karma wasn't a cosmic power, but was a behaviour.  For instance, if someone steps on your foot on the subway, you can let it make you mad so that you are more likely to bump into someone afterwards and not care about it (bad karma) or you could realize that the person probably didn't intend to step on your foot and not let it put you in a bad mood and pass that vindictiveness on to others (good karma).  And, while I still like that idea better and think it is more applicable in day to day life it is not, apparently, the true eastern view, which seems to have a lot to do with reincarnation and mystical mumbo jumbo.

Now I agree with you on that.  Karma is more of a cause and effect, not a what goes around comes around to bite you in the ass.  Is that your thinking Hoops?

My thing with the goes around, comes around thing is it follows so close to the whole wiccan thing of the law of three, whatever you do comes back three fold on you...  If that is really karma then is sucks ass!

Cramulus

I always thought the traditional definition had to do with reincarnation - that your Karma is like your life "score". if you die with a high score, in the next life you'll ascend to the next level of being.

The Western interpretation can be boiled down to "what you reap is what you sow".

My old roommate believes in "Karma Hacking" - this idea that if he intentionally endures suffering, the universe will magically balance out and he'll have pleasure later in life. This has caused him to settle for lots of bad shit instead of fighting for better shit. It pisses me off to no end to watch him do this to himself.

I really snapped at him once because was going to move into a one-room apartment in Harlem where he had no friends "so that he can live somewhere nice later". He was kind of depressed and figured that moving into a miserable isolated situation would be better than "using up" his karma now by living somewhere nice instead. I got really angry with him, told him that his beliefs were bullshit, and he got mad at me.

THAT'S KARMA, BITCHES  :lulz:

Urraco

Quote from: K-Bitch on March 18, 2009, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: Dr Hoopla on March 18, 2009, 08:29:29 PM

Now I agree with you on that.  Karma is more of a cause and effect, not a what goes around comes around to bite you in the ass.  Is that your thinking Hoops?

My thing with the goes around, comes around thing is it follows so close to the whole wiccan thing of the law of three, whatever you do comes back three fold on you...  If that is really karma then is sucks ass!

Yeah, it doesn't make sence.

There are people who are smelly dicks their whole life, and never get the punishment that these karma-like ideas supposedly dish.

If karma is at all, it is the traditional Eadtern idea: it only effects you in the after-life.

Quote from: Cramulus on March 18, 2009, 09:20:49 PM
I always thought the traditional definition had to do with reincarnation - that your Karma is like your life "score". if you die with a high score, in the next life you'll ascend to the next level of being.

The Western interpretation can be boiled down to "what you reap is what you sow".

My old roommate believes in "Karma Hacking" - this idea that if he intentionally endures suffering, the universe will magically balance out and he'll have pleasure later in life. This has caused him to settle for lots of bad shit instead of fighting for better shit. It pisses me off to no end to watch him do this to himself.

I really snapped at him once because was going to move into a one-room apartment in Harlem where he had no friends "so that he can live somewhere nice later". He was kind of depressed and figured that moving into a miserable isolated situation would be better than "using up" his karma now by living somewhere nice instead. I got really angry with him, told him that his beliefs were bullshit, and he got mad at me.

THAT'S KARMA, BITCHES  :lulz:

The above explains karma in full. Stop browsing wiki, damnit.
Spørk, børk? Pørk!

LMNO

Hoops, what you're talking about sounds similar to something RAW wrote about in one of the Cosmic Trigger books*.  He was talking about his daughter Luna who got beat up one day.  RAW was pissed, but Luna seemed to have completely worked through it, and removed all the anger from her system.  She simply wasn't bothered by it, and wasn't going to let it bother her.  RAW called it "stopping the wheel of Karma".

*Yes, RAW.  Shut up.

hooplala

Ahhh, maybe that's where I got it from then... thanks LMNO.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Tempest Virago

But I hate the idea of karma as a reincarnation thing, too. I was talking with my uncle and aunt who are Sikhs, and who I love, a few yearsago, and they basically said that if you're born poor/sick, it's because you were a bad person in a previous life.   :evilmad:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on March 14, 2009, 10:52:17 PM
I don't find it especially amusing, invigorating, or positive when people are hungry or homeless or physically harmed, especially kids.

It's easy for people to have a smugly salacious view of social collapse and the ensuing mayhem when they're snug in their homes with enough to eat. Go hungry and cold for a few weeks and see if you have as much fun as you think you will. Maybe watch some of your loved ones die and see if it motivates you.

yes, yes, and (especially) YES.

try to remember that not everyone fits neatly into your perception of how people ought to act or think.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Thurnez Isa

sometimes laughing is the only thing that keeps you from screaming
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

BADGE OF HONOR

I always figured social collapse would be like Katrina, except without the National Guard coming in to put a lid on things.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the fastest way to social collapse would be a series of natural disasters, considering how badly just Katrina strained America's resources.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 22, 2009, 10:45:25 PM
I always figured social collapse would be like Katrina, except without the National Guard coming in to put a lid on things.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the fastest way to social collapse would be a series of natural disasters, considering how badly just Katrina strained America's resources.

in the midst of an economic CRISIS

:omg:
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Pope Lecherous

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 23, 2009, 04:02:35 AM
Shut up and fuck off you tool.

But you're right... and it would be especially fucked up in this CRISIS
--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.