News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Quote-unquote MUSIC

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, April 24, 2009, 04:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

My band (which is actually just me and my laptop, in reality, but on paper consists of a few more members) has finally released our new album, which has been in the works since like January.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/44333  <-- The new album
http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/stdin <-- all our albums

License-wise, all of those can be downloaded and redistributed, sold, &c. That is, if you can find anyone willing to buy it :P.

I am unsure whether or not to call any of it 'music'.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Lies

I don't know, do I want to download it?
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

There's not much to lose. It's six minutes long, and will probably only take you a few minutes.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

AFK

Quote from: Enki-][ on April 24, 2009, 08:17:07 PM
There's not much to lose. It's six minutes long, and will probably only take you a few minutes.

:lol:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

A six minute album?

album....  haven't seen that word in a long time without getting the WTF is that look...

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I guess the proper term would be EP, or Single, or something. I never really understood the industry terminology.

Triple Zero

so your band, which is actually not a band, has made something that you're not certain could be called music on what might be either an album or an EP or a single?

i GOT to check this out.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Enki-][ on April 24, 2009, 09:55:12 PM
I guess the proper term would be EP, or Single, or something. I never really understood the industry terminology.

Sorry, I wasn't picking on ya or anything, I was appreciating that someone else used the word.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 24, 2009, 10:04:13 PM
so your band, which is actually not a band, has made something that you're not certain could be called music on what might be either an album or an EP or a single?

i GOT to check this out.

Well, this quote makes the name far more appropriate. Mind if I yoink it? It's a better description than anything I have.

Triple Zero

Hey ENKI, this is pretty cool. I dunno why or how, I always used to have a real interest in non-music, it puts a smirk on my face :) I lost my interest in it (non-music/minimal) somewhere along the road, but one-and-a-half track into your album, has rekindled it somewhat.

Thanks! :)

And yeah sure use the description :)

oh and the text/lyrics, did you write those yourself, are they from books/essays, or cut-ups from your markov generators?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Most of the lyrics are either from me or hand-edited stuff taken from cutups/markov outputs. How much human intervention is involved is questionable, generally.

In this current album, some of the tracks actually include things like the fibbonacci sequence in reverse, or "true" or "false" spoken over and over again. Everything else (aside from the first track, which was written by hand and then fed through a first order markov chainer) was written completely by me. On the other albums, it's more of a mixed bag -- my last one had a final track (Line Out_)  that was a manual copy-paste cutup of the results from a google search with a softer voice speaking quotes from Ubik pasted into arbitrary places on the output of a buggy program that spit out the incorrect series of numbers, along with some other tracks many of which may have been written entirely by me and some of which may have been almost completely computer-generated. Noise vessel monochrome was actually written totally by me aside from the first line, and Ravenhurst was simply arranged by me and slightly modified after I put a bunch of good-looking phrases I copied out of a scrambling of other lyrics in google notes and then pasted them back into a document in an order that felt right. Oddly enough, ravenhurst is one of maybe two of my songs for which I know all the lyrics down-pat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki-][ on April 24, 2009, 04:30:40 PM
My band (which is actually just me and my laptop, in reality, but on paper consists of a few more members)

I'd like to take just a moment to laugh at you for that.  Like this --->  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

http://namcub.accela-labs.com/stories/aether%20intro.mp3 <-- first track for the next album, tentatively titled "no exit".

For the record, the reason that it's really just me and my laptop is because my band members are lazy asses who go outside sometimes.

BabylonHoruv

Playing it on my radio show now.  Will let you know what I think.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

ok, I liked it for a minute.  The speak and spell technique and noise style instrumentation worked for me for about one song, but I couldn't listen to more than that without it all sounding the same.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl