News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Want to delve deeper

Started by Dalta, May 05, 2009, 04:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalta

Hey, I just read the PD and found it interesting in many respects, I was looking to delve a bit deeper into Discordianism, read interpretations texts perhaps, or texts about it in general, perhaps one about 'practical Discordianism' (if such a thing is possible, I'm still debating myself about that).

I also read the Summa Discordia but alot of it seems to contradict the PD, seems to fall victim to the Eristic illusion nearly completely. Perhaps there's something which stays true to the teachings of the PD, if one might call them that?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 04:28:15 AM
Hey, I just read the PD and found it interesting in many respects, I was looking to delve a bit deeper into Discordianism, read interpretations texts perhaps, or texts about it in general, perhaps one about 'practical Discordianism' (if such a thing is possible, I'm still debating myself about that).

I also read the Summa Discordia but alot of it seems to contradict the PD, seems to fall victim to the Eristic illusion nearly completely. Perhaps there's something which stays true to the teachings of the PD, if one might call them that?

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0

Also (you have to reg):

http://www.poee.co.uk/boards/index.php?board=12.0

http://www.poee.co.uk/boards/index.php?board=15.0
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also,

The Book of the Subgenius
Revelation X
The Bobliophon

http://subgenius.com

Anything by Robert Anton Wilson, particularly The Schoedinger's Cat Trilogy, The Cosmic Trigger 1 & 2, and - if you're a masochist - The Illuminatus Trilogy.

The collected works of the Pastafarians.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Alethias

Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 04:28:15 AMI also read the Summa Discordia but alot of it seems to contradict the PD, seems to fall victim to the Eristic illusion nearly completely. Perhaps there's something which stays true to the teachings of the PD, if one might call them that?
You want one truly reliable source for all things discordian?

I think that by it's very nature would be non-discordian.

What if you are right and Summa Discordia is too deeply enmeshed in  the Eristic Illusion...why is that a problem?  Maybe It means that it's not a good source for you but is for someone else.

I personally have found it very interesting to compare and contrast between different discordian writings.

What if something like Summa is what is useful for someone to wake up out of their own version of Aneristic Hell?  It may not do the trick for you, and I'm certain that not every aspect of it is fully true.  I'm fine with that.

There are lots of different ways to stimulate a paradigm shift, to come to the point of seeing the prison of our own perspective for what it is, a prison, and to accept that and move on, and to develop the ability to shift to different perspectives and see the world thru different prison bars as needed.

Or not.

Dalta

Would the subgenius and pastafarians, being different religions, not have different philosophies? I was looking for, like, explanations and general theorising about Discordian concepts.

Also, I read the 'List of Discordian books' (or similar title) thread at the top and they were saying that there's no point in reading RAW, is that bogus?

Thirdly, in that same thread, I got this list:

QuoteThe Summa
The Apocrypha
The Zenarchist CookBook
The Book of Eris

The Metaclysmia Discordia
The Wise Book of Baloney
The Apotheosis Psychoerotica
The Principia Entropius

Memoirs of a Daydreamer
The Jonesboria Discordia
A Pocket full of Chaos

I read the first one, The Summa and that made me doubt the worth of the rest. What would you say?
Thanks for the info.

Ale: Yeah, ok, if I see someone for whom I think the Summa will be useful, I'll recommend it, but I was looking for what I said I was looking for, I'd be happy to discuss the worth or ortherwise of the Summa in a seperate thread.

fomenter

raw is worth reading
talking about his writing with gushing fanboy enthusiasm is considered "tired and flame worthy" around here but most like and respect the mans work..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ale on May 05, 2009, 04:55:16 AM

A request for further reading material is not an invitation to be a pedantic prick.

Just saying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 05:01:26 AM
Would the subgenius and pastafarians, being different religions, not have different philosophies?

Not really.  They're just a different way of looking at the same thing.

You could kinda group Discordians, Subgenii, Pastafarians, and Last Thursdayists together as the Asshat religion.

Also, like 2 guys from The Church of Google. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on May 05, 2009, 05:06:10 AM
raw is worth reading
talking about his writing with gushing fanboy enthusiasm is considered "tired and flame worthy" around here but most like and respect the mans work..

He couldn't finish a book to save his fat ass, but the first 2/3rds are always good.

East Coast Hustle

why on earth would anyone want to know MORE about those horrible Discordians?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

Quote from: Dalta on May 05, 2009, 05:01:26 AMI was looking for, like, explanations and general theorising about Discordian concepts.

Perhaps you missed the point?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Also, there's http://www.blackironprison.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Alethias

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 05, 2009, 05:25:01 AM
Quote from: Ale on May 05, 2009, 04:55:16 AM

A request for further reading material is not an invitation to be a pedantic prick.

Just saying.
Thank you for pointing it out to me.  Wasn't my intent to come across that way;  I just don't think discordianism works that way and I was trying to point that out in my own stupid way.

LMNO

That seems to be why there are now about 20 different "source" material links in this thread.

AFK

www.blackironprison.com

GO CRAZY!!!!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.