News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

How to Shrink a Quarter WITH SCIENCE!

Started by Iason Ouabache, June 23, 2009, 10:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://intellectualventureslab.com/?p=71

QuoteWe found out that a local laboratory known as Hackerbot Labs had built a device which uses electromagnetic forming in order to shrink quarters down to the size of a dime. This device would be ideal for us to test our new highspeed video camera and other equipment, while collecting interesting data on how this device is functioning.

Rob Flickenger was kind enough to bring over their device and allow us to film it. What is presented below has likely never been seen by the human eye.

The electromagnetic pulse shrinks the quarter in about 30 microseconds. This event happens so quickly we had to shoot our video at over 100,000 frames per second. Interesting engineering solutions had to be developed to capture this video – - clear acrylic rods, first surface mirrors and special triggers to fire off massive amounts of light from the camera flash.

The Quarter Shrinker was constructed by Rob Flickenger and other folks at Hackerbot Labs.

Quarter Shrinking has three steps.
1. make a coil of wire,
2. stick quarter inside it,
3. discharge an enormous amount of electric current through the coil.

But what does that actually do, other than making a big boom?

Passing current through a coil of wire produces a magnetic field. In this case, with so much current, the magnetic field produced is gigantic: the coil becomes a magnificently powerful electromagnet.

The creation of a magnetic field in the coil-now-magnet induces a circling current to flow around the coin sitting inside the coil. This current in the coin also produces a magnetic field (i.e., the coin becomes another electromagnet). The kicker is that the coin's magnetic field and the coil's magnetic field point in opposite directions, so the coin and the coil repel each other furiously.

This repulsion creates forces which overcome the strength of the metal; the coil is expanded out and explodes, and the coin is pushed in and shrunk.

There are a pair of awesome videos on the site. I usually don't care for electromagnetic mumbo jumbo, but the explosions are really pretty.  Here is the finished product btw.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fuquad

Finally.

A way to demonstrate what is happening to the value of American Currency.

AND IT USES CURRENTS.

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on June 23, 2009, 10:49:07 PM
That's actually kind of upsetting.

The term you were looking for is "amazingly wonderful."

Iason Ouabache

Now that I think about it, they really should have taken a picture from edge-on. If none of the mass was zapped away in the process*  the coin should be alot thicker than the original. The magnetic field would have squished all of the mass towards the center of the coin. I'm not going to do the math but it should be at least twice as thick as a normal quarter.

* - It probably lost a small amount from the extreme heat but not enough to notice.
    \

MMIX

That's actually kind of upsetting pointless.

your currency is in freefall anyhow
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Arafelis

"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Triple Zero

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on June 23, 2009, 10:56:54 PM
Finally.

A way to demonstrate what is happening to the value of American Currency.

AND IT USES CURRENTS.

YES IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ILLUSTRATION OF CURRENT EVENTS

(bwaahaahhahaha)

(sorry but I think I am hilarious today. blame coffee and sleep deprivation)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

\

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on June 24, 2009, 01:23:01 AM
That's actually kind of upsetting pointless.

your currency is in freefall anyhow

That's not related to why it's upsetting.

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Because they say the quarter is shrunken. It's not shrunken, it's only reshaped.

fomenter

:lulz:  its not as exiting saying "its diameter has been reduced"
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp