News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

An experiment with Babylon and LMNO

Started by LMNO, July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 11, 2009, 04:19:13 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 11, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
Speaking of reductionist worldviews...

It seems the debate method de jour around here lately, I figured I might as well avail myself of it ;-)

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 11, 2009, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 11, 2009, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: Telarus on July 11, 2009, 06:43:35 AM
++approving the conditions under which a test will take place.++

This is the +5 magic club that Randi wields.

Nope there's no such thing as anything that can't be easily cataloged and explained... haven't you been reading the really real Discordian view of Magic Telarus? It's not real, doesn't exist and there's nothing more to talk about.  :lulz:
If your magical powers suddenly don't work any time they are placed under scrutiny then they aren't very useful in the real world, are they? Sure you can find all kinds of ways to mindfuck yourself and make yourself think that you are riding a unicorn with Jesus but that doesn't do anything to the objective world.

Magic is real for very narrow definitions of "magic" and "real".

Sure, because riding a unicorn with Jesus is ther sort of 'magic' that people like Mang, Telarus, Me and most other sane people that play around in that model are trying to do.

Useless debate is useless.... Its obvious that one should not risk thinking for themselves on this topic and should instead stick with their comfort zones, beliefs about reality and dogmatic ideas about what Magic is or isn't.

But that's not what this particular experiment is about, now is it? It's not about your definition of magic, and it's not about you.

Imagine that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on July 12, 2009, 11:39:58 PM

It seems the debate method de jour around here lately, I figured I might as well avail myself of it ;-)

Nope there's no such thing as anything that can't be easily cataloged and explained... haven't you been reading the really real Discordian view of Magic Telarus? It's not real, doesn't exist and there's nothing more to talk about.  :lulz:
If your magical powers suddenly don't work any time they are placed under scrutiny then they aren't very useful in the real world, are they? Sure you can find all kinds of ways to mindfuck yourself and make yourself think that you are riding a unicorn with Jesus but that doesn't do anything to the objective world.

Sure, because riding a unicorn with Jesus is ther sort of 'magic' that people like Mang, Telarus, Me and most other sane people that play around in that model are trying to do.

Useless debate is useless.... Its obvious that one should not risk thinking for themselves on this topic and should instead stick with their comfort zones, beliefs about reality and dogmatic ideas about what Magic is or isn't.

But that's not what this particular experiment is about, now is it? It's not about your definition of magic, and it's not about you.

Imagine that.

Everything is about Ratatosk.  Everything.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Keeping an open mind does not mean letting your brain fall out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on July 06, 2009, 02:02:14 PM

Anyway, if you want to do this again, I have a better method for 66% using tarot cards.  Let me know.

I'd like to try this using the pendulum method to test the cards. I claim no clairvoyant ability and maintain that the pendulum only gives you back your subconscious opinion but I think it would be fun to do.

Also I refuse to believe  in any of this until it has been tested and proven to 6sigma accuracy.

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 06, 2009, 07:26:54 PM

Sorry everyone for not managing to pull impressive magic out.  Not that it is any real excuse but I was at the beginning of one of the worst bouts of physical illness I can remember.

Well I am glad to see that Voodoo still works.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Golden Applesauce

More important than the question of whether or not something works in the "objective world" is the question of "which world do I live in?"
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on July 13, 2009, 12:16:23 AM

Sorry everyone for not managing to pull impressive magic out.  Not that it is any real excuse but I was at the beginning of one of the worst bouts of physical illness I can remember.

:spittake:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Imagine that.

OMGZ! And this little conversartion is not directly related to the general discussion here... threaddrift doesn't always stay on topic... Imagine That!

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 13, 2009, 12:01:36 AM

Keeping an open mind does not mean letting your brain fall out.

Repeating stupid cliches doesn't mean you think for yourself.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 13, 2009, 03:37:37 PM

Imagine that.

OMGZ! And this little conversartion is not directly related to the general discussion here... threaddrift doesn't always stay on topic... Imagine That!

This wasn't "drift" as much as it was you trying to pry it with a crowbar.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 13, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 13, 2009, 03:37:37 PM

Imagine that.

This wasn't "drift" as much as it was you trying to pry it with a crowbar.

Funny, looks to me like a comment spun from comments about James Randi and Cain's little barb about Jesus and Unicorns (neither of which Babylon mentioned... unless I missed something).

You can, of course, see whatever you like, Nigel.

LMNO

Hey!  Get your opinions out of my science experiment!

Cain

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 13, 2009, 07:21:34 PM
Funny, looks to me like a comment spun from comments about James Randi and Cain's little barb about Jesus and Unicorns (neither of which Babylon mentioned... unless I missed something).

You can, of course, see whatever you like, Nigel.

Speaking of people who see whatever they like...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This thread is now successfully about  Ratatosk taking something personally.

Whatever it is.

Cain

My non-existant barbs concerning Jesus and Unicorns, I think.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on July 13, 2009, 12:16:23 AM
Quote from: LMNO on July 06, 2009, 02:02:14 PM

Anyway, if you want to do this again, I have a better method for 66% using tarot cards.  Let me know.

I'd like to try this using the pendulum method to test the cards. I claim no clairvoyant ability and maintain that the pendulum only gives you back your subconscious opinion but I think it would be fun to do.

Also I refuse to believe  in any of this until it has been tested and proven to 6sigma accuracy.

You voodoo'd me? oh you bitch.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl