News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

An experiment with Babylon and LMNO

Started by LMNO, July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 13, 2009, 03:37:37 PM

Repeating stupid cliches doesn't mean you think for yourself.

And believing in mahdjgickque means you don't think at all.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

bones

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 11, 2009, 04:06:21 PM
If your magical powers suddenly don't work any time they are placed under scrutiny then they aren't very useful in the real world, are they? Sure you can find all kinds of ways to mindfuck yourself and make yourself think that you are riding a unicorn with Jesus but that doesn't do anything to the objective world.

Magic is real for very narrow definitions of "magic" and "real".
I think Rat had every right to defend against this, shame it turned into another flamefest.

It seems to me that controlled scientific measurement of Rat's magic would be similar to controlled scientific measurement of how much happiness a person gets from cuddling kittens. It's not meant to be an objective thing, like you wouldn't demand that I give you a measurement of how happy kitten cuddles make me, or prove that such happiness exists.

If you reveal your wish it won't come true. Crowley says you should find your true will, but you should keep it hidden, so how can you measure it without affecting the result? I would get bored of kitten cuddles if you started trying to measure my mood changes by them.

On the other hand if someone claims that they can expect 25% more accuracy than random chance go right ahead and prove that they're talking shit... If you can even be bothered.

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 06, 2009, 07:26:54 PM
Sorry everyone for not managing to pull impressive magic out.  Not that it is any real excuse but I was at the beginning of one of the worst bouts of physical illness I can remember.

Apology accepted BH :), though imo you didn't fail at magic because you were getting sick, you got sick as an excuse for your failure. THAT is much more likely something the mind could have the power to do.
How did you conclude that your prediction magic works better when you have a 2/3 chance of being right, anyway? Was it a controlled experiment such as this one? or the same law of fives that convinces gambling addicts to put more money in the slot?
filmmusic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2009, 08:34:03 PM
My non-existant barbs concerning Jesus and Unicorns, I think.
I didn't realize that we looked so much alike.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: bones on July 14, 2009, 05:08:42 AM
It seems to me that controlled scientific measurement of Rat's magic would be similar to controlled scientific measurement of how much happiness a person gets from cuddling kittens. It's not meant to be an objective thing, like you wouldn't demand that I give you a measurement of how happy kitten cuddles make me, or prove that such happiness exists.

If you reveal your wish it won't come true. Crowley says you should find your true will, but you should keep it hidden, so how can you measure it without affecting the result? I would get bored of kitten cuddles if you started trying to measure my mood changes by them.

We can totally measure happiness*, BTW.  You might get bored eventually, but modern tech will have significant brain function measurements long before then.  Heck, we can measure how funny you find a joke, how much revulsion and stress you feel from a disturbing image, and how turned on you are by an even more disturbing image.

Having not read Crowley, I'm a little curious about the statement to the effect that one should keep your true will hidden.  If you will yourself to be successful (for a given definition of success) and then actually become successful, are you supposed to pretend that that wasn't what you really wanted?  And I'm not really sure how one could put will into practice without revealing it - if you practice for something, it's pretty obvious that you want to get better at it.  Does Crowley suggest doing all your practicing in secret so nobody else finds out that you're training for your life's goal?

*Strictly speaking, we can give mood surveys and measure neurological and physiological responses that are very closely correlated with different (reported) emotions.  But functionally it's pretty much the same.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

Ok, look.

Magic1 = self-hypnosis, NLP, metaprogramming, etc.

Magic2 = pre-cognition, telekenisis, telepathy, et al.

IN THIS THREAD (BECAUSE IT'S MY THREAD, FUCKOS), PLEASE USE THE ABOVE TERMS WHEN SHITTING ON EACH OTHER.

KTHXBYE.

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 14, 2009, 06:09:16 AM

Only for people who see what they want to see, I think.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on July 14, 2009, 03:12:08 PM
Ok, look.

IN THIS THREAD (BECAUSE IT'S MY THREAD, FUCKOS), PLEASE USE THE ABOVE TERMS WHEN SHITTING ON EACH OTHER.

KTHXBYE.

Good idea.
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 14, 2009, 06:09:16 AM

Fail Reading Embedded Quote is Fail... Please redirect my comment at Iason.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: LMNO on July 14, 2009, 03:12:08 PM
Ok, look.

KTHXBYE.

This.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Iron Sulfide

I could do it, but we all know i'd be cheating.

it's always cheating, even if it actually works (magic1 or magic2- though magic1 has a higher success rate in testing, and magic3 [illusionism and obfuscation] is pure cheating.)
[for the record my interest in Magicn is limited to 1 and 3]

that and a snuff box is all i have to contribute.

Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Would Magic1 be doing Magic3 on yourself, and Magic2 being doing Magic3 on Magic1? If we assume that Magic2 is Magic1 without its rationalization, I mean.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

bones

Quote from: Enki-][ on July 15, 2009, 09:42:35 PM
Would Magic1 be doing Magic3 on yourself, and Magic2 being doing Magic3 on Magic1? If we assume that Magic2 is Magic1 without its rationalization, I mean.

LMNO, What have you unleashed??  :eek:
filmmusic

LMNO

That's just Enki being a fucktard as usual.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on July 15, 2009, 08:42:57 PM
Wait, all cheating is the same?

What I want to know is, if Magic1 is cheating, then whats wrong with cheating anyway?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Kai on July 16, 2009, 08:57:25 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 15, 2009, 08:42:57 PM
Wait, all cheating is the same?

What I want to know is, if Magic1 is cheating, then whats wrong with cheating anyway?

Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

A stage magician might claim to have supernatural talents, but is actually using misdirection and similar psychological tricks. However, when all is said and done, the audience is entertained and the magician has the audience's money. IT'S MAGIC!