News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bds

I watched the extended version last night -- I actually feel like it made the movie a whole lot better. I'm still not gunna say it was a fantastic movie, but I think that the extended scenes really help the plot, especially as a lot of them help to improve the "mirroring" between the "levels" (for example the sex scene that got cut out - the dialogue is referring to the lobotomy but also to sex). also more action is always cool. oh and i forgot how much I adore the soundtrack.

Suu

Okay, I'm finally getting Sucker Punch.

It's time I see how bad this shit really is.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

IS THAT A B-17 FLYING AROUND A CASTLE WITH LOTR ORCS IN IT?

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

one of the worst movies i have ever seen is what this is

Suu

The only thing I got from Sucker Punch is that mental patients who dress like hookers in Times Square circa 1985 have delusions of Moulin Rouge gone Sin City with clockwork panzermensch going down in FPS style (seriously, I thought I was playing COD). There was very little plot, and in the end, she loses her fucking brain anyway.

If anything, the last half hour made it almost worth it, but the first hour and half was relatively boring. Visually sparkly, but boring. The anticlimax couldn't fix it for me.

This movie was designed for gamer boys to jack off to. Not for anything else.

Suu

Netflix has the entire first seasons of the original He-Man and She-Ra shows.

I'm glued....and remarkably surprised that I remember the character names.

Thurnez Isa

She-Ra was always the better show, but when I was a boy I could never admit it
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Suu

It's far more violent too. Hordak is far nastier than Skeletor, but Skeletor just outright wins cool points for BEING Skeletor so...

That and this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqCzXbDtlY

Cuddlefish

So, last week I saw Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and it was terrible. I wasn't surprised, I was expecting it to be bad. The only reason I went to see it was so I could legitimately talk shit about it. But, god, was it bad (surprisingly, though, it was NOT as bad as the last TF movie). The two redeeming factors were the opening sequence, which really made the concept of space travel look good and desirable, and the best part: THIS IS THE LAST TF MOVIE! Now hopefully my hobby returns back to "normal."

Related: I saw TF:DOTM in 3d. However, about halfway through the movie (about an hour and change) I feel like the 3d stopped working. Almost like my brain outsmarted the optical illusion of the 3d, and I saw the remainder of the movie as 2d. Is this just me, or is it possible to build a "tolerance" to 3d?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Jenne

I took myself to "Bad Teacher" the other day because I wanted to escape the heat and I had folks working on the house and wanted to be out of their way.

Mistake.  Total waste of money, reminding me and reinforcing yet again why I don't see rom-coms on othe big screen.  They can wait till they come out on HBO or some shit.

Gah.

Triple Zero

I had that with just about every 3D movie I saw so far (I think I saw 3 or 4 3D movies yet).

After half an hour or so, I barely notice it's 3D anymore.

If I pay attention I can see there's depth in the image, but it's just not like it makes any difference anymore, or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

3D is just a way to jack up the costs of an already-very-expensive form of entertainment.  I don't bother with it.  For the very reasons you stated.  After the initial ooh-ah it just becomes something you're used to.

IMAX is more worth it for action films, imo.  The bigger the screen, the better.  But 3D?  fogeddaboudit.

Eater of Clowns

I've seen a few 3D films.  It was pretty well done for Up, which was a good movie on its own, and Avatar, which was only worth watching for the effect like its 3D.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Xooxe

Saw Pontypool without knowing anything about it. I liked it (but the bar is so low these days).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAk3EfZMAg

Telarus

13 Assassins - Wait for it.. wait for it.. no really, this is plot, and we're only showing you 12 samurai so just fucking wait for it will you!!!

*breathed deeply... ok first half over.. some fucked up shit there, no spoilers*

And then, I saw over 200+ feudal Japanese people DIE, in a little under an hour. Some of the best mass-melee combat I've ever seen on film, and the tactics.. HOLYSHIT, are those oxen On Fire (down goes another squad of 6 spearmen)!!!

I was goddessDAMNed meta-traumatized by AN ENTIRE GENRE.

fuck... seriously... traumatized... if you have PTSD, I'd only watch it in pieces.

and then I had to watch it again, because the first time through my girlfriend fell asleep right when the action started, and I didn't notice for about 20 minutes and had by that point decided there was no way I wasn't seeing how this fucking eschaton of a blood bath ended.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!