News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

The OS wars are over

Started by Cain, November 07, 2009, 08:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 05:24:23 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 08, 2009, 05:12:06 PM
the things is, though, that Macs really aren't very good.

They look pretty, but things go plummeting downhill as soon as you try to actually use one for anything other than making home movies or something similarly insipid.

I think the file handling and image previewing software Macs are bundled bundled with is utter crap. Other than that, I like my Mac a lot more than I like my PC; I find it a lot more stable, as well as faster.

But then, all I ever do is arty bullshit and run Quickbooks, so I guess I don't really use my Mac for anything.

and I suppose this is pretty much what this boils down to all the time. Macs are admittedly superior for "arty bullshit" (which is a fairly important area to be superior in) and less prone to bugs and technical hiccups, but it's not very customizable and you can't really DO alot with it. It's the difference between a brand-new Mercedes and a '69 GTO and which one you prefer.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I don't really want to customize my computers. I just want them to work without me having to fuck around with them much. I know a lot of people find the tinkering fun, though.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Cainad (dec.)

Anything more advanced than Babbage's Difference Engine is just frilly nonsense.

the other anonymous

I still remember searching for entry points in an Apple //c ROM.

-toa,
index indirect v. indirect index

rygD

Quote from: Burns on November 08, 2009, 05:29:10 PM
I use windows for the programs, Linux for administration and Mac on a laptop.....

I love Linux and wish it had the gaming flexibility as windows, I love windows and wish i had the stability and security as linux,

i love macs but wish i didn't have to cough up tons of $$ when in order to keep the piece of shit up to date.

You are playing the wrong games...
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

rygD

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 07:02:52 PM
Yeah, I don't really want to customize my computers. I just want them to work without me having to fuck around with them much. I know a lot of people find the tinkering fun, though.

Check out some live distros, see what works for you, and then you don't have to mess with it much beyond that. http://distrowatch.com

YOU WILL COMPLY
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: rygD on November 09, 2009, 06:52:47 PM
I use windows for the programs, Linux for administration and Mac on a laptop.....

I love Linux and wish it had the gaming flexibility as windows, I love windows and wish i had the stability and security as linux,

i love macs but wish i didn't have to cough up tons of $$ when in order to keep the piece of shit up to date.

meh, i like a wide selection....my point is that each os has benefits

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rygD on November 09, 2009, 06:52:47 PM

Yeah, well, Tetris gets a little old after a while.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: rygD on November 09, 2009, 06:57:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 07:02:52 PM

Check out some live distros, see what works for you, and then you don't have to mess with it much beyond that. http://distrowatch.com

YOU WILL COMPLY

Shh... If people realize that Linux isn't actually any more difficult to use than any other consumer OSes, I'll be stuck doing tech support for newbies again.

Then I'll have to find something more obscure and use that for ten years so I have an excuse not to do free tech support.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

the other anonymous

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on November 09, 2009, 08:51:48 PM
Shh... If people realize that Linux isn't actually any more difficult to use than any other consumer OSes,

It ain't easier, either.

-toa,
not ready for the desktop

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I've been using linux on the desktop for ten years. And on the lap-top. When people say things like "it isn't ready for the desktop" that's typically code for "it doesn't have Microsoft in the name so I didn't actually try running it".

Enki,
is still pissed off about all the distros whose sole audience is people dual-booting with windows in order to claim they are leet

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on November 09, 2009, 09:07:39 PM
I've been using linux on the desktop for ten years. And on the lap-top. When people say things like "it isn't ready for the desktop" that's typically code for "it doesn't have Microsoft in the name so I didn't actually try running it".

Enki,
is still pissed off about all the distros whose sole audience is people dual-booting with windows in order to claim they are leet

:lulz: :lulz:

I remember Lindows  :vom:

and my first distro came on a buttload of 3.5" floppies.

EDIT: However, I no longer proselytize as I had a religiOS experience or "UPC" (Unverifiable Personal Computer) as it is called by other Technomancers. I was hopping on the route to Damascus.com and a Flash (app) blinded me. A voice came down and said, "Why do you persecute the Windows users?" and I said "I do not persecute them, I am trying to show them the right way." Then the voice said "They have to deal with windows on their desktop, having you rant about Linux being better is the last thing they need after reinstalling for the third time that year. You see, there is an investment in Windows, once upon the path, you hope the years of rebooting, reformatting and regclean are not wasted, but rather acts of martyrdom to be prepared when the Second Coming of a decent Microsoft OS finally happens."

Then the gamma control was fixed on my eyes, and I came to realize the truth. I use the OS that works for me and those other spags can fuck off with their lame broken ass excuse for an operating system, I don't care if they sacrifice their time, money, sweat and blood... its not my problem.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the other anonymous

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on November 09, 2009, 09:07:39 PM

Enki,

I used Debian GNU/Linux for approx 3 years. Never once got X11 working. Did they ever replace that huge steaming hunk of shit?