PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 04:23:14 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2013, 03:32:23 PM
I hadn't really considered that aspect, my hackles went up after the "Some of My friends" shit.

While I can concede that maybe this guy isn't a total lost cause (No idea, never heard of him until today) I highly doubt he will be in situations where this thinking is seriously challenged. In the absence of anyone to beat it out of him, at best I think he may just conceal it.

I'm not sure if that's an improvement.

It is an improvement.  A small gain, but a gain nonetheless.  If you change someone's behavior, you change the way they transmit signal to others.

He states that the term was picked up when he was young.  So now he keeps it to himself, and doesn't transmit it to the next generation.

And who knows?  Maybe he will think about it.

Either way, things are slightly better.

I'm all about slapping the po'buckers around, the ones that can't or won't change, because of their motivations.  If someone CAN be changed, though, it's best to help them change, rather than drag them around by the heels.  It's all about inclusion.

Who the hell DIDN'T pick that up when they were young?
It has "n-" in it. FFS.

But yeah, better for him to be a private racist fucktard than an outspoken one.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: stelz on April 10, 2013, 04:32:22 PM
I hadn't really considered that aspect, my hackles went up after the "Some of My friends" shit.

While I can concede that maybe this guy isn't a total lost cause (No idea, never heard of him until today) I highly doubt he will be in situations where this thinking is seriously challenged. In the absence of anyone to beat it out of him, at best I think he may just conceal it.

It is an improvement.  A small gain, but a gain nonetheless.  If you change someone's behavior, you change the way they transmit signal to others.

He states that the term was picked up when he was young.  So now he keeps it to himself, and doesn't transmit it to the next generation.

I'm all about slapping the po'buckers around, the ones that can't or won't change, because of their motivations.  If someone CAN be changed, though, it's best to help them change, rather than drag them around by the heels.  It's all about inclusion.

It has "n-" in it. FFS.

But yeah, better for him to be a private racist fucktard than an outspoken one.  :x

I'm not even convinced he's an actual racist.  He may simply have bad filters.  He doesn't seem to have any hate in him.  And that, as I have said, is a condition that allows a positive change.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 04:39:15 PM
Quote from: stelz on April 10, 2013, 04:32:22 PM

It has "n-" in it. FFS.

I'm not even convinced he's an actual racist.  He may simply have bad filters.  He doesn't seem to have any hate in him.  And that, as I have said, is a condition that allows a positive change.

I suspect expressions like that are OK in his little county-officials-social-clique and he doesn't really communicate with anybody else.
It might not be seething ragehate, but it's institutionalized ignorance.

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2013, 02:43:32 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/jim-gile-kansas_n_3045720.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

QuoteGile told the Salina Journal that he knew the term he used from when he was growing up and that he meant to say "jury-rigged." He also insisted that he is not racist, noting that a friend he considers a sister is black.

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile told the Salina Journal. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

I become increasingly certain that there is a warehouse somewhere which stores black friends. I've never seen anyone use this defence and actually have said person in the room endorsing the statements.

It really should be mandatory. The burden of proof is on them "One of my Best friends is an X" should only be admissible if they can be shown to exist and are actually fucking friends.

I have a lot of friends who say nigger-rigged.  Some of them are racist in the ignorant "I don't really know any black people but one time one stole my girlfriend" way, others are not but still use the word because it is the word that they grew up with and that people around them use.  I grew up with jerry-rigged, which is different from jury rigged in that it is actually also a racist term, it just refers to Germans instead of to Black people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 05:10:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/jim-gile-kansas_n_3045720.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

QuoteGile told the Salina Journal that he knew the term he used from when he was growing up and that he meant to say "jury-rigged." He also insisted that he is not racist, noting that a friend he considers a sister is black.

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile told the Salina Journal. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

I become increasingly certain that there is a warehouse somewhere which stores black friends. I've never seen anyone use this defence and actually have said person in the room endorsing the statements.

It really should be mandatory. The burden of proof is on them "One of my Best friends is an X" should only be admissible if they can be shown to exist and are actually fucking friends.

I have a lot of friends who say nigger-rigged.  Some of them are racist in the ignorant "I don't really know any black people but one time one stole my girlfriend" way, others are not but still use the word because it is the word that they grew up with and that people around them use.  I grew up with jerry-rigged, which is different from jury rigged in that it is actually also a racist term, it just refers to Germans instead of to Black people.

As far as I know, "jerry rigged" is merely a corruption of "jury rigged", Germans not being widely associated with temporary crappy solutions to mechanical problems.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 05:16:17 PM

As far as I know, "jerry rigged" is merely a corruption of "jury rigged", Germans not being widely associated with temporary crappy solutions to mechanical problems.

I figured it was the German engineer stereotype.  That they'd patch it together so that it could run just a few more miles.  Jury rigged doesn't make any sense to me, how is slapping duct tape on it like rigging the jury?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 05:18:13 PM

I figured it was the German engineer stereotype.  That they'd patch it together so that it could run just a few more miles.  Jury rigged doesn't make any sense to me, how is slapping duct tape on it like rigging the jury?

Um, that's not where "jury rigged" comes from.  And Germans don't horse things along - or at least they're not perceived that way.  They build things right, maintain them properly, and replace them before the replacement is necessary.

Jury Rigged:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig  It's a nautical term derived from Latin.  Has nothing to do with rigging juries.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 05:18:13 PM

Um, that's not where "jury rigged" comes from.  And Germans don't horse things along - or at least they're not perceived that way.  They build things right, maintain them properly, and replace them before the replacement is necessary.

Jury Rigged:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig  It's a nautical term derived from Latin.  Has nothing to do with rigging juries.

Woot!  I was raised with an actually not racist term.  I feel better about the adults I grew up with.

LMNO

Granddad was a sailor, and dad was kinda one; so even though I suck at sailing, the "jury-rigged" phrase was familiar to me as nautical.  "Nigger-rigged" ain't nothing but straight up racist, though.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 10, 2013, 06:38:13 PM
Granddad was a sailor, and dad was kinda one; so even though I suck at sailing, the "jury-rigged" phrase was familiar to me as nautical.  "Nigger-rigged" ain't nothing but straight up racist, though.

Yeah.

And it just occurred to me that several terms like that are for kids' toys and candy. The indoctrination starts early.

Pergamos

Quote from: stelz on April 10, 2013, 07:12:11 PM

Yeah.

And it just occurred to me that several terms like that are for kids' toys and candy. The indoctrination starts early.

Racist toys and candy?  I don't think I have heard about this before, I am curious.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Yeah.

Racist toys and candy?  I don't think I have heard about this before, I am curious.

"N- shooters" for rubber shooters, "n- chasers" for those fireworks that go every which way, "n- tits" for Hershey Kisses and "n- babies" for licorice babies.

Texas.  :x

Pergamos

Quote from: stelz on April 10, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

Yeah.

"N- shooters" for rubber shooters, "n- chasers" for those fireworks that go every which way, "n- tits" for Hershey Kisses and "n- babies" for licorice babies.

Wow.  I hadn't heard any of those.

One more reason I am scared of Texas.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 07:21:14 PM

Yeah.

Texas isn't scary.  Just full of fucking idiots.  Not everyone's an idiot there, mind you, but if you swing a dead cat around, you're not likely to hit Stephen Hawking.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 07:22:22 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on April 10, 2013, 07:21:14 PM

Yeah.

Texas isn't scary.  Just full of fucking idiots.  Not everyone's an idiot there, mind you, but if you swing a dead cat around, you're not likely to hit Stephen Hawking.

Idiots with guns, who are allowed to shoot you if you are on their property, or if they are "standing their ground"